Automating PMP450 Password Changes with cnMaestro

Currently ePMP doesn't support changing passwords with configuration import.  This functionality is planned for the very near future.  Once I get the version which supports this, I'll make another post detailing how to do it.

Bump on the ePMP support.  any news?

This functionality should be available with ePMP software version 3.2.1.  I think it's expected to release around December 30th.

Is this suported for epmp / epmp elevate now?

Yes.  I just haven't had time to do a write up.  It's basically the same process with a template appropriate for ePMP.

What method is cnMaestro using to push these changes?  SNMP? HTTPS GET?

Is there any type of training / guidelines for creating these templates?  It is not clear at all which snippets of json are peritinent to what you are attempting to modify, particularly in regards to pushing SNMP changes, where there are tons of vaguely named attributes that do not seem to adhere to the same order that you see in the radio GUI itself.  

What method is cnMaestro using to push these changes?  SNMP? HTTPS GET?

cnMaestro uses HTTPS to communicate with the device.   So all configuration, including the password fields, is sent over HTTPS.

@bcotton wrote:

Is there any type of training / guidelines for creating these templates?  It is not clear at all which snippets of json are peritinent to what you are attempting to modify, particularly in regards to pushing SNMP changes, where there are tons of vaguely named attributes that do not seem to adhere to the same order that you see in the radio GUI itself.  

Welcome to the forums bcotton!

With respect to this question, you can export a full configuration file from a SM.  If any of the parameters are unclear, please start a separate thread with your questions.  This thread was very specifically to discuss the ability to change passwords using a partial config file and cnMaestro.

Page 480 of the User Guide discusses this in some detail, but does not list all of the parameters.

Silly question why does the above config trigger a reboot?

It shouldn't.  I can't remember what software version I tested with, but I do recall there wasn't a reboot.  Usually templates have to specify "rebootifrequired"="true" to cause a reboot.  Even then, the radio shouldn't reboot since password changes don't require a reboot. 

if I want to set the passwords on the SMs to a different password than the APs is there a way to select all SMs in the system, network or tower (without having to individually check each SM)???

Thanks for providing this usefull info/tool!!!

-Sean

Sean,

Yes.  You can bulk configure your PMP SMs (and not APs).  Assuming you have created your configuration template for your PMP SMs, follow the steps below.

1)  In the cnMaestro device tree, click on the System folder (or network or tower).  Then click on the CONFIGURE (gear) icon located above the SEARCH bar in the device tree. 

2)  Set the DEVICE TYPE pull-down menu to "PMP (Sectors)".   Select the template that contains your PMP SM password configuration.

3)  You should now see a table of PMP APs in the table.  You can expand the carot symbol for each PMP AP to show all of it's SMs.  Under each AP, you will see an option to "Select All SM Devices".  (For now, you need to expand each AP and select it's SMs.  In the near future, we will simplify this.)

4)  At the bottom of the page, click on the "Add Configuration Job" button. 

5)  Click on the JOBS tab to start the job or monitor it's progress.

Hope this helps.

Awesome thanks Emilio!

-Sean

one small problem...selecting "select all SM devices" really only selects the visable SMs.  for instance if an AP has 40 SMs only the first 15 get selected and pushed.  you have to then go to the next set of 15 SMs and so on.

still kinda cumbersome but better than clicking on each SM

-Sean

any updates of this featured for ePMP?

I finally got a chance to do a quick post for ePMP.  See Automating ePMP Password Changes with cnMaestro

could the same script be used to write user account radius settings and change the local user passwords on the AP with the new release of 15.1?

If so do you have a template i can use?

As for the SM's use the AP's radius for the user accounts i would just use the script on the first post on the sm's right?

any information would be great!

Thanks

do you have the template to change username & password for F180 & F200 from on premises cnMaestro ?

@arasu5061, check out the following link for ePMP.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-2000-and-1000/Automating-ePMP-Password-Changes-using-cnMaestro/td-p/72614