DIFFERENCES OF PTP650 & 670

Hi,

What are the differences between PTP650 & 670?

Are these models backward compatible? Is it possible to link PTP650 into a PTP670? Is there any requirements to establish this link.

Thanks

Hi Gerry,

The PTP 650 and PTP 670 hardware is similar apart from larger FPGA and more memory in the PTP 670. We describe the differences here: Hardware differences between PTP 670 and PTP 650

In present releases, the firmware in PTP 670 is not compatible with firmware in PTP 650, so you can't create a link between a PTP 650 ODU and a PTP 670 ODU.

We do plan to release some firmware that will allow you to use PTP 670 hardware to replace an ODU in a PTP 650 link. In this case, the feature set of the PTP 670 will be the same as PTP 650. The unique features of PTP 670 won't be available when it is emulating PTP 650.

I hope this helps.

Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info, but still got 1 more question. Compatibility will be possible through firmware as you said, but which this firmware will be applied to - is it for the PTP650 or the PTP670? Assuming I already had the firmware applied to either or both of the units, is it necessary that my PTP650 be running in a full license version to be able to be fully compatibly with PTP670 or will still work even if it is a lite version.

Thanks and again and more power.

BR,

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Looks like two questions to me, but that's okay.

We will support a mixed 650/670 link through a special version of PTP 670 that has only the PTP 650 features.

In the case of a mixed 650/670 link, the link capacity will be determined by the capacity license in the PTP 650 ODU. If the PTP 650 has a Lite license, then the link will operate at the Lite capacity in both directions.

Mark

1 Like

Thank you so much. Now everything are clearly answered.

More power!

BR,

Gerry

You're welcome!

1 Like

Hi Mark

Do you know when this will be available? We have multiple PTP650 links out there, and from a sparing perspective need to know if we should hold on to the ones we have (and have on order), or if we can deploy them and just trust that if something dies we can put in a 670 without needing to change both ends.

Otherwise once we get more stock I am happy to just put in 670 links going forward once we get stock in.

1 Like

Hi,

Great timing!

I hope that System Release 670-01-44 will be available later today. If that's not possible then look out for it tomorrow.

We'll publish 670-01-44 in the PTP 650 downloads area here:

https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/ptp650/

Mark

3 Likes

Thanks - I tried this on the bench yesterday and it worked fine.

3 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the rapid feedback!

Mark

1 Like