ePMP2000 - Stop passing data AP to SMs

So, at long last they've identified the issue and it's going to be included in the 3.5.2 release comming soon.

I hope it's coming soon, getting super frustrating this issue. Getting calls all the time and having to de-register SM's is annoying. 

I would upload a copy of the firmware-3.5.2-RC18.tar.gz beta image that fixes this problem, but I'm having a lot of issues with the forum's uploading security checks. Perhaps Fedor can upload a copy to the regular beta location for people to try?

I've been loading the R15 and R17 when it happens on the SM and the issue still happens, do you know if it has to go on the AP too to fix this problem or is it fixed in R18?

This is an AP issue... clients don't need the update. It's not in R15... and I've never used R17. From what I've been told, R18 is the only build that will fix this issue.

Hey Cambium if R18 resolves this, could you please make it widely available or better yet get 3.5.2 out the door!  Thanks

Hi All,

We’re planning to release 3.5.2 official this week. So just a little while longer.

Thank you for your patience and all the help from some of you here to nail this issue.

Sriram

Hola, estoy teniendo el mismo problema, actualice a 3.5.2 pero no se corrigio.

Hi everyone, I just an upgraded an AP from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 and I think we are having this same issue. All 17 SMs could not connect back to our AP. Can anyone confirm if the bug was really fixed? We are planning to downgrade to 3.4.1. By the way, why do we have to reboot all SMs when the AP changes frequency?

@John_ph wrote:
Hi everyone, I just an upgraded an AP from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 and I think we are having this same issue. All 17 SMs could not connect back to our AP. Can anyone confirm if the bug was really fixed? We are planning to downgrade to 3.4.1. By the way, why do we have to reboot all SMs when the AP changes frequency?

I don't think radios not connecting to the AP is the problem being discussed here. The problem here is the radios connect and work just fine until one randomly stops passing traffic even though it is still connected.

It sounds like you are saying your radios will not connect at all after upgrading to 3.5.2 .    Did you upgrade the subscriber radios first ? I believe the subscriber radios are always supposed to be upgraded first and then the AP.

@brubble1
Our SMs are running at 3.5.1 and yes we upgraded the AP first to 3.5.2. Do you think upgrading the SMs to 3.5.2 will solve our problem? Thanks

@John_ph wrote:
@brubble1
Our SMs are running at 3.5.1 and yes we upgraded the AP first to 3.5.2. Do you think upgrading the SMs to 3.5.2 will solve our problem? Thanks

No idea. I'm just pretty sure it's recommend that you upgrade the customer radios first. I don't think I have ever upgraded the AP first, we always do the customer radios first.  Actually I normally upgrade a single customer radio (one that is right here at my office so no truck roll if it bricks or stops working) connected to an AP right by our office that is also very lightly loaded (like 11 customers on it), and we watch/test it for a few days.  Then, assuming no problems we upgrade the rest of the customer radios on just that AP.  Again, after a few days if there have been no problems and no customers calling to complain we upgrade the AP. Now we give that several weeks and if all goes well (been a long long time since all went well at this point...) we do another more heavily loaded AP (customer radios first then the AP) and watch it for a week or two.  If everything goes good we roll it out to all the customer radios, give that a week or two then the AP's.   

We, and I believe a great number of others, are currently running 3.4.1 on all of our AP's while all of the customer radios are all 3.5.something.    

Already downgraded our 1st AP to 3.4.1 and it is under observation, the SMs are running at 3.5.1. By the way, with regards to upgrading the SM first, we did the same procedure to our 2nd AP. We upgraded the 2nd AP first to 3.5.2 and we did not upgrade the SMs which were already running at 3.5.1. All SMs reconnected without rebooting compared to what we did to the other SMs connected to the 1st AP, which we rebooted individually.

I have had these kind of issues non stop and have yet to find a solution that would allow me to run the latest software on the APs  --- By chance would you be willing to share the Brand and/or model of your tower switch/routing equipment.

Due to this issue all my ePMP 2000/gps APs  run 3.4.1 and all my ePMP 1000/gps still run 2.6.2.1

because we get random hangs and without ap session drops.

I have started to wonder if it is my Switching/Routing Equipment that is the casue.

1 Like

Hi spookie, yes we are running our 1st AP at 3.4.1 now and the SMs connected to it runs at 3.5 1. Now, our 2nd AP which we also upgraded to 3.5.2 seems to be running OK with the SMs at 3.5.1 also. I think it has something to do with the radio itself or is it by chance a problem with v 3.5.2? By the way, we are using BDcom switch.

I have a BTS with 4 ePMP1000 with GPS sync and 100+ SMs. On the begining they were running 3.4.1 and worked fine, then in the meantime more SMs were added to the BTS and the first problem appear: the GPS lost tracking of satellites and the result of that was SMs dropping sessions. The solution of that was to upgrade to 3.5.1, worked fine some time and, again, more problems, the same as is described in this post. The solution was supposed to upgrade to 3.5.2, so, I did that with no luck because the problem was still there. I have had to downgrade to 3.4.1 and deactivate GPS tracking and this is so dissapointing.

I am sorry to say this, but I think that Cambium has a lack of seriety on developing the firmware.

Have you considered trying the 3.5.5RC8 beta that is available to see if the issues are addressed there?  We have been a bit leary to do so at this point.  We have the AP's at 3.4.1 and the SM's at 3.0.1 and that seems to be providing a solid solution for us at this point.

It is sad as we REALLY need the Elevate functionality added in the 3.5.x series on the AP.  The radios need a MUCH better way of collecting troubleshooting data. We have been working with Cambium on this and the solution has been to collect data from the Ethernet side of the SM (we are not seeing ALL SM's affected).  So, I am supposed to call the customer and ask if I can just hang out at their house until the issue happens - do not see that happening. 

Once 3.5.5 is released we MIGHT brave it on an AP or two as I am hoping it resolves the issues.  

I've been on 3.5.2 since it came out on all sorts of elevated ubnt crap and all ePMP2000 ap's. All good. No disconnects no drops.

We've had the odd ubnt failure which is par for the course for those things. The CPU is so crap it can barely load the web interface, but it chugs along.

Trying a BETA firmware was my very last chance, sincerily, I do not want to put anything BETA on production. Fortunately, 3.4.1 on APs and 3.5.1 on SMs is working as Cambium had us used to.

@Larry Weidig wrote:

The radios need a MUCH better way of collecting troubleshooting data.

^^^^  THIS ^^^^

Not just in Elevate of course, but in all sorts of troubleshooting. We find that
a) things generally work really really really well with ePMP, but
b) that we feel like we are flying blindly if they don't work well.