Pre-packaged Mesh System

Does Camium have anything like Ubiquiti's Amplifi system? Basically a pre-packaged wifi mesh system that is meant for residential use?

I undestand the E-series is more commercial. We need something we'd basically be able to ship to a customer's house and they plug the multiple units in to form a mesh, and it then starts recording data in our on-prem cnMaestro.

No, they don't have anything like this. We rarely run into homes that are so large they need a mesh system. If we do need to extend coverage across the house we typically prefer powerline adapter over WiFi mesh because it tends to be more reliable and way way easier to setup... it's just plug and play. We've also heard that the new R195w home router has much better coverage then the previous generation. With that you can use WDS mesh... not as simple as Amplifi, but you'd have the cnMaestro integration you'd like.

That's a good idea. We'll consider that. We're currently looking at another manufacturer simply for this out-of-the-box mesh feature, but like you, I'm not sold yet.

FYI the WDS mesh feature apparently isn't the way to go as of 4.6, instead use the AP-repeater mode for mesh

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnPilot-R-Series-Home-Small/R190W-Repeater-Mode-Functions-Poorly/m-p/115243/highlight/true#M2029

1 Like

I'd disagree on the rarely part. We see approx 10% of homes that require an extender. We are darn glad to have the feature too. In addition we can plug the extender in via ethernet for the houses that are huge and have cat5 wired in.

The Cambium router solution just doesn't cut it. They should look at the Calix 844e and 804 and cloudcore. It is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Cambium is putting out for a soho router solution.

1 Like

@Ryan Ray wrote:

I'd disagree on the rarely part. We see approx 10% of homes that require an extender. We are darn glad to have the feature too. In addition we can plug the extender in via ethernet for the houses that are huge and have cat5 wired in.

The Cambium router solution just doesn't cut it. They should look at the Calix 844e and 804 and cloudcore. It is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Cambium is putting out for a soho router solution.

Ryan,

We've been looking into Calix as a replacement, but cannot yet justify the cost [and that is saying something with how high the Cambium costs are compared to most competitors]. Have you found any other solutions?

It is not really appropriate to discuss "competition" here, but in this case, the R-Series routers cannot perform up to the quality and capacity of the ePMP radios in my experience. I consider this a discussion of what is necessary to get the full performance of ePMP rather than what is alternative to R-Series routers.

-Chris

Cambium,

Any word here on a Residential Mesh System in a box? Or devices that will easily pair with the central unit?

Are there any plans for a more powerful router, with Wifi6 for instance (802.11 ax), or better antenna arrays with 4x4, 8x8, or 12x12 modes like Calix has?

Thanks,

Kevin

Any update on a Cambium home router solution that runs Wi-Fi 6 and has some streamlined mesh setup like TP-Link, Eero, UniFi, Calix, etc.?

I’m interested to know - if Cambium is stepping out of the home Wi-Fi market, we would lean harder on other solutions. At this time I think I’m still coasting on other solutions hoping Cambium comes up with a good solution.

I am not necessarily expecting a pre-packaged system, but definitely a system that has good roaming, automatic mesh vs wired satellites, and is stable.

Thank you, Chris