PTP 802S ethernet connectivity on ether/PoE port

Hi Cambium,

I’m new to the PTP 820S platform and had an ethernet question. After watching a YouTube video on how to setup in band management I still cannot ping or connected to the radio on the Ether/PoE port. Connecting to the management port with the assigned IP works just fine but we don’t want 2 ethernet cables running to each radio.

Is there some configuration I’ve missed? How can we use the single ether/PoE post for power and data?

Also, where do we change the admin password?

Thank you,

Mike Whelan.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Licensed-Microwave/How-do-I-enable-PTP-820-in-band-management/m-p/42096#M88

Separate the payload and management traffic using VLANs.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Thank you Dave.

So I need to setup VLANs on my laptop to manage the radio from the ether/PoE port?

Mike

Be careful!

That is correct, but only if you plan to connect your laptop directly into ETH1.

Is ETH1 connected to a switch? Use the switch to set up the VLANs, and add a port to the switch for your laptop.

Then, when you arrive at the site, plug into the switch.

Why all the talk (and effort!) on VLANs?

If you don't seggregate your traffic, and you let untagged traffic hit the MNG Ethernet service, the MNG service can become overwhelmed if the traffic is greater than 100 Mbps. (The MGT port and the MNG Ethernet service support Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) only.)

Limit the traffic hitting the MNG Ethernet service by requiring all management traffic to be tagged.

I hope this helps!

Dave

1 Like

Finally, here's the insidious part:

If you ignore these posts and send untagged traffic to both the MNG Ethernet service and other Ethernet services in the radio, it all works. In fact, the link carries traffic beautifully.

It all works fine.

Until the link throughput approaches 100 Mbps (or the maximum that the link can carry), and then you begin to lose the ability to manage your radios.

Segregate the traffic using VLANS!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the clarification and the follow-up email.

Normally we take the radios out of the box, plug them into a laptop, configure them and then send them up the tower to be installed. The 820s take a bit more than we are accustomed to. I must say I’m new to the PTP 820 series, so my lack of knowledge and experience certainly contributed to our slow deployment.

We watched the video on how to configure the internal VLAN so it’s possible to manage from the ethernet port, then our license had an error and learned that we had to disable 2 of the ethernet ports for the license error to go away, and now learned that to manage the radio from the ethernet port we need VLANs.

I think I’ll post a new thread later for new users so they can get started easier than us. :-)

Anyway, thank you and your colleges for the excellent support.

Mike Whelan