R series routers are horrible with interference

r series routers are the worst when it comes to interference and mitigation. I have made a thread about this before and was told rebooting the router will allow it a chance to scan and select a channel and thats just so far from the truth. It seems chan1 is what it always goes to regardless when on auto. We have a cst right not with a SM on 5190-40mhz and the router still thinks 5180/chan36 is the best to sit on even after a reboot. This needs to be addressed or we might be moving to an entire new platform. 

Pics for proof. SM on 5190 and router freshly rebooted and still sitting on 5180, edetect shows the router coming in hot at -45

Hi

Greetings!!

May I know the firmware verison running on your router.

Best Regards,

Gupta Bobby

FW doesnt matter as we see this issue across r200p, r190 and now on the brand new r195's. There's a mix of old and new fw. The exact example I listed was coming from a r195 with latest fw, as what was shipped and there was not an upgrade at the time.

Hi, 

Can you please elaborate on the problem you are facing. As far as the channel selection in auto mode is concerned, the R-series devices perform channel selection based on number of APs , CCA , and RSSI values at the time of bootup. We checked it and both the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz radios latch to different channels based on the interference levels detected. I want to understand why there is an issue in your environment. 

If the SM is the only other interfering source around, then the AP may not always decide to choose a different channel as long as it detects the channel suitable (for other reasons). Are you facing performance degradation because of the current channel chosen, if so please provide some data like a sniffer output, and comparison when the SM is actually on a different channel. 

thanks 

ashutosh

@NetOpsCom wrote:

...I have made a thread about this before and was told rebooting the router will allow it a chance to scan and select a channel and thats just so far from the truth. It seems chan1 is what it always goes to regardless when on auto. We have a cst right not with a SM on 5190-40mhz and the router still thinks 5180/chan36 is the best to sit on even after a reboot. This needs to be addressed or we might be moving to an entire new platform. 

Pics for proof. SM on 5190 and router freshly rebooted and still sitting on 5180, edetect shows the router coming in hot at -45

I think the problem here will be similar with other platforms. It is my understanding that when WiFi devices try to find "clean" channels, they are checking what other WiFi devices are currently functioning. The ePMP SMs don't show up as interferers because they are using a modified protocol. If there was an ability to run a spectrum analysis first, that would provide different results, but that is not how WiFi devices work.

I am in a rural area with limited noise. We choose one 2.4 GHz channel and one 5.8 GHz channel for all of our customer routers, and we can just avoid those channels manually. You may have to manually set your channels based on your location. The WiFi router will see your SM if it is in a WiFi mode with an appropriate channel width... and it would do what you are expecting then.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnPilot-R-Series-Home-Small/cnPilot-R-series-bug-workarounds-performance-tweaking/m-p/117105#M2111

@iBound wrote:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnPilot-R-Series-Home-Small/cnPilot-R-series-bug-workarounds-performance-tweaking/m-p/117105#M2111

Your link is broke.

We just received 40 r195w and the first 2 out of the box had terrible results on the wifi for throughput, both 2.4 and 5.

Hardlined speed results were bang on but wifi not so good. 

This situation was a customer moving from satellite internet to our fixed wireless service, 20mbps download speed.  standing right next to the router we had 12mbps....and as you can guess it got worse as we moved away from router. 

Now Ive tried above said settings and it made no difference, Im actually really fed up with no answer to this issue that a TON of people are complaining about and Ive done extrensive testing.  To wrap this up and make it easy for eveyone.... we put in the customers previous router that they used with their satellite provider, a d-link router, and we had 20mbps throughout the whole house, riddle me that!

Having cambium routers for deployments is grest to have that extra step for managment and troubleshooting without the truck roll.  Cambium please fix this issue, this is not isolated, to many people on this forum have experienced these issues and have seeked out a solution.

Thanks!