Success with PMP450i 900MHz in a high noise, urban environment

I've now had a chance to test PMP450i 900MHz in a few different settings. The first setting I'll be talking about is a worse case scenario. This is a 1.4 mile completely non-LOS shot through multiple evergreen (Ponderosa) and deciduous (some sort of Elm I think) trees. Along with the trees, I'm also dealing with noise spikes from both paging and water meter systems on every channel at around -65dBm or worse. This is a lite urban environment of around 80k people.

From my house:

From the repeater site:

Radio SA:

I've tried various links over the years... back in 2009 I used a Canopy 900MHz/FSK link with great results, only problem was that it was limited to around 6mbps aggregate (the maximum available)... and while stable, wasn't enough bandwidth. So the hunt continued. I had tried to use PMP450 3.65GHz using  a 2' dish and could not get an SM to register, so no dice. I ended up buying some licensed 2.5GHz radios from Radwin and while it worked OK at times, it sometimes would have had huge swings in signal strength from -68dBm to -85dBm depending on the amount of foliage in the trees and rain/snow in the trees. The licensed 2.5 link would swing from being completely disconnected to getting about 40mbps HDX (using a 20MHz channel width no less!) at it's best. It was very unreliable, the link would fail over to my backup connection (gasp!) a poached WiFi backup through a coffee shop next door to me. I guess I should also mention this is my house... yes MY OWN HOUSE! I'm not sure why I keep choosing to live in places with poor LOS to my own service... I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but that's also what I like about what I do... that's the whole reason I started this business was to play with new technology and figure out how to get myself the best service given the circumstances. If I can find some new radios that perform well given my horrible circumstances, and I can use it day in day out and be happy with it, I know that my clients will be happy too.

So back to the review... I'm using a point to point type configuration, with a Cambium PMP450i 900MHz AP on one side attached to a 12dBi yagi (N009045D003A), and a PMP450 900MHz SM attached to a 12dBi yagi on the other side. I'm using a 10MHz channel width. I tried a 20MHz channel width and could never get it to connect reliably with the amount of noise I'm experiencing. I also tried 5MHz, and 7MHz channel widths, and after extensive testing, given the noise floor issues, I settled on 10MHz as having the best bang for the buck. I also did some testing with 5ms vs. 2.5ms frames, and I ended up choosing 5ms frames, as I didn't see a huge difference in latency, and I prefer having a bit more bandwidth. It's the difference of like maybe 10% more bandwidth on average vs 10ms less latency.

As I've mentioned, every single channel has noise spikes of -65dBm or greater on a regular basis and you can see them happening on every refresh in a SA. We had a bet in the office that given the non-LOS issues and the noise spikes, that this link either wouldn't work at all, or would be taken down a few days after it was put up. After a few days of use, it was apparent that the link was solid and would remain in place. On link evals I typically get around 30mbps aggregate, and real world speed tests I see 25mbps or more every time. Latency is pretty good, despite the huge jumps in the noise floor. Not seeing any dropped packets, and if I switched to 2.5 ms frames, I could do some competitive gaming. I use VoIP and Skype regularly on this connection and whether it's 2.5 or 5ms, it works fine... jitter is the main killer for VoIP, and jitter isn't bad considering the overall poor conditions of this link.

It's been about a month now and I use it every day... so I can safely say that I won the office bet! Thank you to the folks at Cambium (you know who you are) for listening to your customers and investing time and money to develop a truly worthy successor to the tried and true 900MHz FSK radios! You guys have a winner on your hands!

Link Eval:

Local Speedtest.net from my office server:

Latency & Jitter to our office servers using 1450 byte ICMP:

cli ping.jpg

11 Likes

Wow, that is such good news to my ears. I just put a order in yesterday and I am like a kid at christmas waiting for this stuff to get here.  Should be really something to see this perforn in a cleaner noise floor as well. 

5 Likes

Eric, This is great! Thanks for taking the time to post your experience with the 900 MHz 450i!

2 Likes

Awesome post Eric, it's great to see how the 900MHz 450i performs in these tough links.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience Eric. One question, what did you use for downlink efficiency?

Ash

2 Likes

This is a fantastic post.  Thank you so much for your effort.  I really enjoyed reading this and was very happy it's successul for you!

2 Likes

Do you recall your rssi from the pmp100 link ? I'm curious what the difference is between the two systems. 

2 Likes

@ash1 wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience Eric. One question, what did you use for downlink efficiency?

Ash

Are you asking about Downlink Data ratio? I'm using an 85/15 split. As this is a PtP, I need as much download as possible. I may change this to a 80/20 or 75/25 split though because I'm finding services/devices that constantly upload, like my Nest cameras, tend to saturate the uplink and cause latency/jitter/dropped packets, and reduced download throughput.

1 Like

@Chris_Bay wrote:

Do you recall your rssi from the pmp100 link ? I'm curious what the difference is between the two systems. 

Actually I do... I was using 17dBi yagi's on each side, and I had the power turned up to the max, I want to say it's 28dBm. So the EIRP was around 45dBm. The signal was in the low 50's. I want to say the SnR was around 20dBm, which is more than enough to get full, 2X modulation out of the old FSK radio.

I do remember that around that time there were a couple of other manufacturers that were coming out with OFDM 900MHz products, I bought a LigoWave 900MHz OFDM product, and WaveIP OFDM product... neither one of them were reliable enough for me to use on a daily basis. I flipped both on eBay as soon as I could. Consequently, neither company produces 900MHz radios any more. EDIT: Apparently WaveIP still makes 900MHz radios, LigoWave does not.

Currently, with my 450i's and 12dBi antennas, and 25dBm power (around 37dBm EIRP) I'm getting about -59dBm on each side. The SnR fluctuates from 25dB to 10dB on one side, and 15dB to 8dB on the other side.  I'm using 2MHz more spectrum than the old FSK setup, and I get on average a 5X increase in spectral efficiency.

2 Likes

Have you done any work with a Point to Multipoint (PMP ) configuration with an AP and SM?

I' m glad to hear PMP 450i 900 MHz works this good; I had some Canopy 900 AP's working on a RV Park but like your mentioned limited with the Bandwidth. They were great on NLOS and big trees surrounded areas. Nowadays, I' m sold to the PMP 450 5HZ technology but on PMP 450 900 MHZ it’s going to be music to my ears

2 Likes

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

Have you done any work with a Point to Multipoint (PMP ) configuration with an AP and SM?

Hey Ray, check out my new post here for some PtMP action!

1 Like

Radio SA clearly indicates the presence of Pager /cellular interference from the 930MHz read. I suggest Eric to turn ON the pager filter option and try one more time. I am sure that signal quality will be improved and there by throughput. This is true for other center frequencies below 918MHz. With pager filter ON Radio under perform in the band 918MHz to 928MHz, but customer will get service for 902-918 band. I internally requested our SW team to check with SA at the time of booting for the 930MHz signal and turn pager filter automatically. This going to take sometime to implement. Mean time customer should do manually at this time. Please drop PM to palla.swamy@cambiumnetworks.com for any technical issue or failure in signal Quality etc. This design is electrically rugged and tolerate very high interference.