R201 router keeps offering a certain MAC every few seconds but?

I have a campground network with a R201 router driving the system.  In the Syslog I see the router offering certain IP address every few seconds or so to a certain MAC address.  The MAC manufacturer search shows it to be Arris Group.  In the DHCO Client List under LAN I can see this IP and MAC with an Expirres time of alway about 55 seconds but it never expires wheh I keep hitting refresh it jumps about to between 50 and 59 seconds.  Same thing in the Status/LAN Host tab on the router.  It shows it as Inactive with the same Expires time. This seems to be really keeping my router busy handing out that DHCP every few seconds all the time.  I tried making that MAC use a static address but it still keeps talking to that MAC only with a different message that says found static lease: b70ba8c0 (which is not the MAC) and then in the next Syslog line it says Sending Offer of 192.168.11.183.  This over and over every few seconds. I'm running 4.3.1-R1 on the router.  This MAC and IP address do not show up on any of the APs I have in this network.  Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on here? The MAC is 44-AA-F5-77-01-AD

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Allow us  sometime to understand the problem. Shall get back to you shortly.

thanks 

ashutosh

Hi

Please send the device syslog messages  with syslog Level options  DEBUG and configurations to the below  email id (niraj.mahapatra@cambiumnetworks.com).

Regards,

Niraj

I have emailed you with the information.  Please let me know if you do not get it.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

We received your mail, we are analysing the syslogs and configs you shared. If needed will ask for a remote session.

In the mean time as a workaround, can you do the device configuration as done in the image attached, this should block the DHCP messages from/to the particular MAC. Please update whether it helps or not.

Thanks,

Divakar

Hi Steve,

the  log b70ba8c0 log that you are seeing is nothing but the IP address 192.168.11.183 (logged in reverse)

What makes you believe that it is actually degrading your routers performance ?

I am sharing screens from my setup, and things seem normal. My LAN client is having static IP while the wireless client (192.168.99.190) is on DHCP. Can you also help me with these screen shots from your setup. I feel what may be happening is that this particular client is not receiving/accepting the offer and it keeps sending the DHCP request.

I tried the Block DHCP to that MAC and it is still offering it.  I have attached the syslog after I changed the setting and rebooted.  Also screen shots of IP Port Filter Setting, DHCP Client List, LanHost List and LAN setting. I can't find any equipment at the site made by ARRIS.  There are some set top boxes that work off of a different network and come out of a different port of a Calix Fiber Converterand  are fed by UTP cable so I assume they are IPTV but the manufacturer isn't ARRIS.

Steve

HI Steve,

DIRECTV-HR44-58(BC:30:7D:68:46:DE,WinstroN_68:46:DE) device is continuously  sending the DHCP discover messages  for  Arris Group client and R201 is sending  DHCP offer   for discovery messages.

1. Check DIRECTV-HR44-58 client behaviour.
  2. Allot a static IP for DIRECTV-HR44-58 client  and add deny/drop  rules for MAC Address (BC:30:7D:68:46:DE)  and DHCP Ports(67 and 68) in security/Filtering page.

I have attached the screen capture of DHCP discovery and DHCP Offer packets.

Regards

Niraj

1 Like

Thank you Niraj.  You nailed it.  Great support from Cambium Networks

Hi Steve,

can you please also share the screen shots of "Station Info" tab from both the 

2.4GHz and the 5GHz tabs ?

thanks 

ashutosh

Many DIRECTV-HR44's exibit this behavior.