cnPilot R200 issues connecting Apple ipad, iphone, laptops to WIFI or LAN

Bingo!

I have an R200 (S/N 400...) sitting in my "to RMA" pile. The customer would have dropouts where no devices could reconnect to the router and everything would stop working. Eventually I just replaced it with another R200 (S/N WFS...), and everything works fine. Looking back at their logs, all of the devices were Apple devices.

Configuration was very close to defaults using WPA2, NAT, local DHCP, etc.

I use B/G/N mixed mode, WPA-2 passphrase.  We configure PPPoE for our WAN type using NAT on the LAN side.  They're not in Bridged mode.

The Routers get an IP from our DHCP relay server which gets them online so they can access cnMaestro website for provisioning.  After they get their provisioning they switch over to PPPoE.

The attached customers pull their IP addresses from the cnPilot R200's local DHCP server (192.168.11.xxx)

We leave most of the defaults on when it comes to wifi, just change the SSID and WPA passphrase.  We've tried switching channels, from 20/40 to just 20... and from short preamble to long preamble but the solution continues to be replace it with a WFS model.

Any progress?

Hi, 

We have been trying to recreate this issue in our labs , but so far all clients are able to connect well. Is it possible to have a remote session (Teamviewer) to get some insight. I am located in IST timezone. 

In the mean time can you try installing the 4.3.3-R4 again and factory reset the box, then try to connect the said clients to the default SSID / psk ?

NOTE: Please export/backup your config to be able to restore to original state later before performing factory reset.

thanks 

Ashutosh

Ashutosh, when I get back into town in a couple of days, I will hook up one of the R200’s that had the problem and let get into it.  

Still has 4.3.3-R4 in it from when it wouldn’t allow various items to connect to its Wifi.  I will PM you after I get it connected.

Ashutosh, I am emailing you the configuration and the syslog files from another R-200 router with a Serial # starting in "400" that has the same problem of not allowing wireless devices to connect to it. 

As with the other R-200's that we have seen, this one has the same problem.

It was running 4.3.3-R4.  We downgraded it to 4.3.1 this morning while they were on the phone and the R-200 allow them to connect their wireless devices back to the 2.4 Ghz Wifi.

To add some further details, my customer that revealed the problem did not always have connectivity issues, they came up over time. Rebooting the radio would clear up their problems. Non Apple devices would have no issues.

Ashutosh, have you figured out anything from the syslog and config files that I emailed you from another R200 router (400 serial number) with 3.3.4-R4 firmware - that Apple devices cannot connect to?

I played with my I-Phone some trying to get it to connect and easily see that it does not connect to the R-200's Wifi. 

In a nutshell, it appears that the R-200 is not serving the I-Phone a 192.168.11.xxx IP address from it's internal DHCP pool.

Even though the I-Phone connects RF wise to the R-200, the I-Phone always shows a default 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address.

Hi Danny,

We have been performing extensive tests with and without your provided configuration. On the WEP side we found an issue where Apple clients were unable to get IP address in case KEY2 was configured to be the default KEY for WEP (which is the default configuration on R200).

There are a few things I want you to try.

1. If you try to connect your iphone with the factory default configuration of the R200 (default SSID /PSK), is it working fine.

2. For WEP case select KEY1 as the default key and set a 10 digit KEY1 value (See attached screenshot). Does the iphone connect with this configuration?

thanks 

Ashutosh

I have this issue and I don't use WEP I use WPA.  Apple products start getting IP addresses and staying online if I back down to 4.3.1 firmware.

Hi Cason,

I understand. Since we are not seeing any such issue in our lab, is it possible to have a short remote debug session say over TeamViewer or something, if so you can drop me an email at ashutosh.datta@cambiumnetworks.com . 

By the way have you tried Factory resetting the board and connecting to the default SSID  (without any configuration changes) using your apple device? What is the obseration there ?

thanks 

Ashutosh

--

ashutosh

I haven't come across any more of the 400 series models being installed, we seem to have installed all of them and put 4.3.1 on them so no more issues.  If I can ever get ahold of another one I'll e-mail you for a remote session.

On another note, the newer white 190 router's are doing fine on the latest firmware from what I can tell so far.

Hi

We have observed similar issue with r200 if four SSID are configure with WPA2-PSK.  Please provide the email  ID to send  test image for this issue.  

Regards,

Niraj

Hi All,

Please upgrade and verify the client connectivity issue with 4.3.4-R8 image in r200.

Path: https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/r-series/cnPilot-R200P_4.3.4-R8_201712121026.bin.

Note: We didn’t’ see the connectivity issue in the latest image(4.3.4-R8) with below WLAN clients.

DEVICE NAME-R200(4.3.4-R8)

HARDWARE VERSION: V1.3  

Device-Agent Version:2.97.1

WIRELESS CLIENTS

Software version

CONNECTIVITY

IP Getting

Browsing

REMARKS

Micromax

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Yureka

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Oppo

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Nuoio

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Mi

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Iphone

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Lenovo PC

Intel-i3,windows-10

Connected

yes

yes

Connected Immediately

Thank you very much for continuing to look into this. I don't have any Apple devices to use to test, but the problem my customers were experiencing was about Apple devices disconnecting after an extended period of time... and that problem was resolved with a reboot. 

Has anyone else seen this particular problem? This problem does not appear to be considered in the above test.

Did the upgrade as requested.

Hardwired Android device would not get an IP from the router.

Wireless Apple device would connect but no internet.

Don't believe this fixed it.

Am availble to do do a team viewer or similar from a laptop connatced to the router. Just let me know when to schedule this on on Saturday or Sunday.

1 Like

Hi 

Sorry for delayed response.

Please provide the remote session details to my email ID: niraj.mahapatra@cambiumnetworks.com

Regards

Niraj

Anyone have updates on this? I'm waiting to update firmware on my 400* devices, and I have no way to test this behavior. [I do not have any apple devices to test, only customers.]

1 Like

So it looks like the solution here is to return to 4.3.1 firmware.... I am having the same wifi connectivity issues with Android and Apple devices using a cnPilot R201p on 2.4GHz (ie. devices connect but have no internet, then lose wifi connection, the wifi signal disappears completely from sight, then returns, but devices wont connect to it...repeat...etc).

The R201p is setup simply as a wifi access point with no DHCP handling or anything, hardwired to the main modem....

Hardwired devices to the R201p seem to be fine with a steady connnection to the internet at all times. 

I also have one IP WiFi security camera which is connected to the 2.4Ghz WiFi and is pretty much stable 24/7.... 

I will be onsite next week to apply the firmware downgrade and see what happens. 

Has anyone tested the 4.4-R6 firmware and seen whether the problem is resolved? 

Thank you - Chris

1 Like