Help! - Multi Hop Configuration 820c

Here is a rough diagram of our planned 820c buildout

rest of network----router(a) ---1<------>1--2<------>2---router(c)--1gb fiber drop

|

router(b)

Radios 1&2  in the middle will be linked to each other using a short fiber jumber. I would also like to be able to get ethernet connectivity in the middle for router(b). Router(b) will primarily route to router(c) but will also need to route to router(a) in the even of connectivity issues with router(c) this will all be accomplished with ospf and bgp so thats not an issue. What im unsure about is the best way to do this on the 820c radios. For conectivity from router(a) to router(c) would I create a p2p ethernet service on both radio pairs 1 & 2 with identical service IDs evc IDs etc? For the router(b) to router(a) and router(c) connection would I create seperate p2p ethernet services on radio 1 & 2 one for router(b) to router(a) and one for router(b) to router(c) and segregate the traffic from the router(a) to router(c) traffic via a vlan? For redundancy purposes I would prefer 2 independent ethernet connections to router(b), one from each radio.

Sorry if any of this is unclear, I'm not at all familiar with Metro Ethernet (This is where cambium gets the ethernet services etc. from right?) so if any more info is needed or a clarification please ask.

Why not just configure each PTP 820C link with a smart PIPE?

This way, the PTP 820C links carry the traffic transparently, and you can do all the routing you want.

Does this meet all of your requirements?

I hope this helps!

Dave

1 Like

This sounds like its what I'm after. Would this allow for traffic to enter on one ingress port and leave on 2 seperate eggress ports?

We need a picture.

You should identify the ports in question, but in general, if you set up each link with a smart pipe, everything you put into one end will show up at the other end.

There's a router in the middle, so the router can figure out where the traffic should go, don't you think?

I hope this helps!

Dave

Ok, heres the layout

I want a data path from R1 to R3, a data path from R1 to R2, and a data path from R2 to R3.

I would prefer not to route all of my traffic in the middle if possible, R2 is going to be a low power mikrotik router thats only purpose is to servre a couple of 450 access points, I can put a higher powered router in the middle of the link if I have to and just route everything R1 to R2 to R3 but I'd really rather not. 

We don't support EAST-WEST configuration for PTP820C. I think you meant to have multiple PTP820C at the middle locations so you can daisy chain these radios up. That said, you can create multiple E-LINEs using P2P services with different VLAN tagging. 

I assume when you say router - you meant L3 router. 

Your R1 can be  connected to two different ports, one port will belong to a P2P service that leads to R3, another Port will belong to a P2P service that leads to R2. .. that is the idea.

We cover related detail topics in our PTP820 advance  training. The next class is in November (check our Website). I can help you with this if you come to our class.

2 Likes

That's prettu much the answer I was after, and yes there are two 820c radios in the middle. I think I should be able to figure it out from here with the info you've provided, and I'd glady attend the training if it wasn't half way accrost the country from me.