How do I use the PTP 820 BNC connector (RSL interface) during antenna alignment?

Attach a volt meter to the BNC connector.

At the PTP 820 BNC connector, the voltage range is 1.20 to 1.99 volts.

The last two digits of the voltage represent an estimate of the Received Signal Level (RSL): 1.XY volts corresponds to –XY dBm.

For example, 1.57 volts represents -57 dBm.

Notice that the lower the voltage, the better the signal level.

Don’t forget the following footnote from the PTP 820 Technical Description documents: “Note that the voltage measured at the BNC port is not accurate and must be used only as an aid.

During antenna alignment, if at all possible, have at least two people at each end of the link: one person to adjust the antenna and read the voltmeter, and another person who’s logged into the PTP 820 radio to read the RSL values from the web page interface. (The web page interface RSL values are more accurate than the voltage measured at the BNC connector.)

I hope this helps!

Dave

any suggestion how to create and assemble a cable with bnc connector?

If you have a voltmeter or multimeter that does not have a BNC interface but alligator clips instead you can attach them to an unterminated BNC cable. These can be found from many electrical component distributors. 

What setting do I have to be on to get an accurate reading? AC voltage, DC voltage? Millivolts?

DC volts!

Do you need to telnet in and set alignment on?

Unlike PTP 800, PTP 820 does not have an alignment mode.

Log into the radio's web page during alignment.

During alignmnent, se t the radio a fixed modulation, lowest modulation mode, highest transmit power, ATPC off. (Be sure you have a link plan with these settings so that you know the expected received signal level.)

The person aligning the antenna uses a volt ohm meter connected to the BNC connector. They talks to the person at the base of the tower, who is logged into the web browser of the radio under alignment.

Once both ends are aligned, configure the radio to its licensed configuration, which may include adaptive coding and modulation, higher modulation mode(s), lower transmit power(s), and ATPC.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Thank you these radios are new to us.

You are welcome!

Do not hesitate to contact our excellent customer support team if you need more help getting your link up and running: http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/contact-support/

We have regular PTP 820 training classes that may be helpful to you and your team as well.

PTP 820 radios are powerful, and with that power comes complexity.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Dave, I was looking for answers in this old thread....but is this PTP 820 training class still held regularly?

Thanks!

LG

Yes, we are still holding live classes!

Go here: https://learning.cambiumnetworks.com

Left-click on "Filter" and "Classroom" for a list.

I hope this helps!

Dave

The easiest way to use the BNC port is with this adaptor:

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/Pomona/adapters/bnc-female-to-black-double-stacking-banana-plug-1296.htm?ref=gbase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-LdgMq65AIVlcDICh1Fowm-EAYYBSABEgKHkvD_BwE

Use one on each end of the link and you're golden! :-)

Hey David I found this thread I was hoping you could tell me if 850s radio ptp has the same interface

No, the PTP850 does not have the BNC connector, but rather a pair of DVM meter lead jacks under a cap on the backside of the unit. You plug the multimeter directly into the probe receptacles.

The various PTP 850 outdoor units have the cap/jacks/wifi port set up slightly different, but the funcionality is exactly the same. When aligning the radios, a DVM measuring DC voltage will read 1.xx volts, where the xx represents the RSSI in dBm. For example, 1.42 volts means the RSSI is -42 dBm.

Hope this helps.

1 Like