PTP 820 in band management

Hello

I have a pair of 820S, upgraded firmware to 8.5.x

Wizard to do a point to point link.

I have selected inband management, dot1q , ID 1

i am not able to reach the 192.168.1.1 address on the ETH1 interface, both untagged or tagged 1

i enter on it only via the management port.

how can i do?

Hi Maggiore,

Can you please confirm that under the Ethernet --> Services --> MNG, did you add both Ethernet port (Ethernet: Slot 1, port 1) and Radio port (Radio: Slot 2, port 1)? if not, kindly add Ethernet port (Which you wish to use) and Radio port.

Example is mentioned below.

Thank You,

Regards,

Yogesh Giriappa

Cambium Technical Support Team

Hi Maggiore,

Adding to my previous comment.

Please find the attached document which gives you the clear picture for configuring In-Band for your PTP 820.

Hope this helps you.

Thank You.

Regards,

Yogesh Giriappa

Hello

I am trying now but before doing any disaster...

I would like to have untagged traffic and untagged management. I have read that is the not reccomended solution but after the first install I doubt that I will login again in the unit :)

But if I need to do it, I would like not to compiilcate the scenario with vlans.

Hi Maggiore,

As per the recommendation, we need to have separate VLANs configured for Data and Management or else there will be a loop created. Rather, you can have tag VLAN for Management and other tag or untag VLAN for Data traffic. If the configurations are done as per the details shared for In-Band Management there are no chances of losing the radio access.

If the radios are not installed on a tower you can test the configuration before installing it, so that you do not have to worry about losing the access because you will be still able to access the radio from the Management Port.

Please feel free to reach us out if you need any other clarifications.

Thank You.

Regards,

Yogesh Giriappa

Hello

I have tried to test them on a bench.

I have managed to have both DATA and MGT interface in-band with no tag.

I dont need to access the unit frequently. The unit is a pure ptp L2 bridge.

Where the loop can be created?

up

Is this the same process with cmm4 and cissco switch?

If you are trying to configure in-band management on your PTP 820S or PTP 820C radios, contact customer support.

See https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/contact-support/ for information about contacting customer support.

The PTP 820 is a complex, powerful microwave radio. With much power comes much complexity and responsibility.

Contact customer support! They are experts in configuring and debugging in-band management problems!

Finally, do not configure in-band management without separating the payload and management traffic using VLANs. (The management Ethernet service can only handle Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps).)

If you do not separate your payload and management traffic using VLANs, and you expect your link to carry more than 100 Mbps, you may overload the management Ethernet service and render your link unreachable! (In fact, the link may not carry more than 100 Mbps.)

I hope this helps!

Dave

Dave