Canopy 900 AP and SM transparent to network

Here’s my scenario. We have a bunch of 900 radios in sequence. We have and AP shooting to a site with an SM. There is a switch at that site that connects the SM to another AP which then shoots to another SM.

So it looks like this:

AP1 —> SM1 ------ AP2 ------> SM2

The problem is that every few hours we lose communication to AP2 and SM2, however we can still pull data through them. We can talk to everything on the far side of the network, but we can’t ping the radios or browse to them. We have tried replacing the radios but are still experiencing the same issue. We have also gone through the configurations several times. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

try telneting into ap1 or sm1 then ping ap2/sm2 then if that works telnet into the 2nd ap/sm and ping your router.

They aren’t assigned public IPs are they?

All of the radios are set to public. My understanding is that you can’t ping them if they aren’t, and we need to monitor it through our network monitor program.

As far as the pinging goes…
If you are plugged into the switch between SM1 and AP2, you can ping all radios, where as at the office you are unable to. So I’m assuming if I were to telnet into AP1 or SM2 to ping the radios, it would work.

Well, by public I mean publicly allocated, this does not include the IPs in the 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x ranges. Canopy web configuration pages will sometimes lock up on public IP addresses due to the amount of junk traffic they get “hit” with.

I am not referring to the “Public / Local Only” setting in the IP configuration of the radio.

what kind of Noise floor is in the area on the 900 frequency, what are you linked at, this sounds like something local to your site have you checked power at this location. it is possible that you have had fried POE injectors i have seem this type of scenario on my network not too long ago the POE’s caused this transparency of the network. WHen this radio is transparent can it be Pinged to or Browsed locally.

also what board type are your radios and have you checked firmware.

this problem can be quite a little :twisted: :twisted:

Shoot for the stars with each link and you will eventually create an arp storm**

The radios are in the 10.xx.xx.xx range. These radios are not servicing internet applications.

When the radios are transparent we are not able to ping or browse to the radios, but both can be done locally from the switch on site. We have checked power several times. Noise is -58db and are linked at -69db with a jitter of 2.

FYI…I tried to do the telnet ping from AP1 to AP2 and SM2 and right after doing each one both radios were not transparent anymore. wtf?

We have the same issue with a couple of our sites set up the same way (AP fed from SM). However we normally will only loose connection with the remote AP after a power outage (or reboot). We are using a sync cable between the SM and AP and have always felt it was possibly related to that. How are you providing sync to the AP?

You have a noise floor of -58 and are linked. i wouldnt have done that shot. have you locked out a bunch of channels. your not trying to communicate on the same channel for the two pairs are you. what kind of link distances are you facing. you say you have checked the Power but what about the POE’s.

(sisaac what company do you work for i noticed that we are from the same city if possible i could take a look at your configuration if you would like.)

Shoot for the stars with each link and you will eventually create an arp storm**

We don’t have any cables going from the SM to AP to sync it.
There are a bunch of channels being locked out. Both pairs are on separate frequencies. We’ve checked the PoE’s several times. Link distances are at about 7km and 2.5km.

I work for Noralta Controls…and yourself?

have you tried a sync cable to see what that can do for you. so you have your lock out and seperation. with short distances like that the only thing that could hold you back are tree’s, buildings or power transformers

(i work for a little company called Sabre communication)

Have not tried a sync cable. With the location of the 2 sites, it may not be possible to use a sync cable.

Also, to confirm the Telnet scenario, the second a telnet is sent from AP1 to SM2 or AP2, they are not idle anymore. Almost like they’re in powersave mode, but they aren’t set to use power save mode.

If you’re going to use a sync cable I would recommend locating the APs in the same area rather than propagating it through the SM. It will work the same way but will probably work more reliably.

The other thing is you definitely want to boost your signals. Your signal is 11db below the noise floor which is definitely going to cause problems.

Power is all the way up on the AP.

Anyone know exactly what power save mode does?

What size antennas / power settings are set on the SMs?

The antennas are integrated and the power is maxed. We’ve tried lower the power with no change.

sisaac wrote:
The radios are in the 10.xx.xx.xx range. These radios are not servicing internet applications.

When the radios are transparent we are not able to ping or browse to the radios, but both can be done locally from the switch on site. We have checked power several times. Noise is -58db and are linked at -69db with a jitter of 2.

FYI...I tried to do the telnet ping from AP1 to AP2 and SM2 and right after doing each one both radios were not transparent anymore. wtf?

this is exactly what we were seeing in out network when Vlan1 got to big and was bursting at the seams/ had tons of junk traffic floating around.

you maybe want to vlan the management on these radios.

just my .02

Sisaac- have you made any progress yet anything else tried has what we said done anything yet. im anxiously awaiting a success story from your scenario

Do you have any protocol filtering set?
We had this problem a few times before when we had a switched network, because of major broadcast/multicast storms.

This is a common issue. The only way I have ever found to overcome this is to have a program like cacti that polls or pings all units at least every 5 minutes if not more often. This seems to prevent the “web page lockup” issue.