Known good APs missing from SM AP eval -- returns with rescan

SM "AP eval" shows only one AP when we have two on the tower (two color codes). Pressing "rescan APs" comes back with both APs listed.

Theory: These AP's have the subscriber color code rescan set to 10 minutes after 1 minute of idle. The SM had at least 24 hours on the secondary color code even though customer use was very light last night. We are seeing towers with many SM's on secondary APs. They don't appear to be balancing as well as they used to. Anyone else seeing this? With all the background traffic these days it is now impossible to see 1 minute of idle in 24 hours? Hitting "rescan" immediately switched SM to primary AP. Should Cambium change the units on this timer to seconds so we can look for less than 1 minute of idle? Does Cambium need a higher threshold for "idle" before doing a color code rescan?

Background: Rx level is good from each so this SM can connect fine to either AP (depending on our color code priority or its decision on which to join) so the AP & SM configurations are compatible. These 5GHz APs have a 5MHz guardband between them. This example now is 430 running 13.4.1 but I know for sure this happens frequently on 100 series too. I think it also happens on 450 but I can't find an example right now so I can't say for sure.

Hi Paul,

For the PMP 450's, we have fixed this issue where the SMs do not see beacons from multiple APs on some scans resulting in SMs registering to a secondary AP instead of the primary AP in our Beta Software release 14.2 (Build 19).

The same is available on our website, here is the link for the same:

https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/pmp450/beta

Regards,

Hardik Patel

Cambium Networks – TAC – Level 2

Thanks for the response.  We have 14.2 only on one AP so we have not noticed this issue or this soltuion.  Just waiting for final release to go network wide.

We experienced this problem on 430's and 100's, however, and that is what prompted my post.  By the way you wrote your reply I can't tell if this issue is a known problem on the 430's and 100's and has not been fixed.  If so, this is a rather large bug to leave unfixed.  When is the next software point release for the 430 and 100, and will this fix be incorporated?

Hi Paul,

For the PMP 430 and PMP 100 v13.4.1 was the last release and we will not be releasing anymore software releases for these 2 rado's and there is no more developing on PMP430 and PMP100, however; we have not seen this issues on these devices.

Regards,
Hardik Patel

Please note I am not the person saying my 430 SM is not picking up multiple beacons; you are.  If this "no multiple beacon" problem is not seen on the 430/100 then please re-read my symptoms and let me know what is happening and how it can be fixed.

What is the SNMP OID to force an SM to recan for AP's?  This is not a "fix" but as a last resort it might help redistribute SM's that are unevenly camped out on a less than ideal color code.

Hi Paul,

Please correct me if I am wrong, the you are facing with the PMP 100, 430 and the 450's is that once any SM disconnects from the primary AP and it connects to the secondary AP it does not come back to the primary AP?

You will have to rescan for AP inorder to get it back to the primary AP.

Part of the issue is that SM does not see the AP. Also we have the ideal timer to add to it.

I would request you to please share your contact information at support@cambiumnetworks.com and we will contact you to further discuss this issue.

About the OID for the SM's to rescan for the AP, I will have to check if I can find the same.

Regards,
Hardik Patel

Release 13.4.1 is broken!  100 series, including 430, on 13.4.1 will show only one AP even if there are other AP's within range/signal and even if the AP it is on is a secondary color code.  The AP Eval shows only one AP and the others never appear.  The SM will stay on a less optimum AP, even on a secondary color, for even.  Pressing RESCAN on the SM will cause the other AP's to show up and the SM will then chose the optimum AP.  But this is not a solution!  It requires manually visiting all SMs to check the eval screen and disconnecting the customer with a rescan.

I know 13.4.1 is supposed to be the last release for 100 series but this is a new bug you have created.  It deserves to be fixed!!  We are buying 450 for new sites and migrating old to 450 but we still expect Cambium to honor the golden rule that earned you so much good will of NO SM LEFT BEHIND.  Please fix this 13.4.1 bug.

Hi Paul,

Did you find a solution to this? 

Regards