PMP 430

Has anyone else seen the release of the PMP 430 series radios?

I saw a small article in Tessco’s Wireless Journal and I am starting to perform research. The initial specs call for 40 Mbps aggregate per AP in 5.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. The 5.4 GHz has not yet been certified by the FCC.

Anyone else doing any reading or have any hands on, real-world experience?

Thanks,

Matt

Word on the moto list is it kicks ass. 6.5 miles running 3x doing 16mbps down x 4 mbps up using a 10MHz channel.

Sounds to me as if that particular AP is probably set to 75% for the downlink data percentage.

My understanding is that these APs can also operate in 20 MHz channels, and while operating in a 20 MHz channel, provide around 40 Mbps of throughput?

That is my understanding

we’ve had some good test results in rural kansas. appx 19mb aggregate up to about 8 miles or so. at 16 miles we saw around 7mb aggregate. keep in mind this is with a noise floor of around -95 & we linked up around -88. take it for what its worth.

Jerry it was nice finally getting to meet you at animal farm!

THE INFAMOUS JERRY RICHARDSON!!! thanks again for sharing all your wisdom

Drew

Does the PMP430 product line have the same 6° vertical pattern as the PMP400 line?

We are using the PMP400 and have equipment at 400 feet and have a window of about 1 mile out to 5 miles out before we can’t see the signal anymore.

pcpolo wrote:
Does the PMP430 product line have the same 6° vertical pattern as the PMP400 line?

We are using the PMP400 and have equipment at 400 feet and have a window of about 1 mile out to 5 miles out before we can't see the signal anymore.

i believe i was told 5 degree vertical pattern. they recommend 2.5 degree downtilt however we are doing plum vertical.

I have been performing some research on this product line and have developed a few conclusions that I wanted to mention here to see if anyone has any comments.

In the US, the PMP 430 AP is purchased as a kit, which includes the radio and a 90° sector antenna. The sector antenna appears to be a custom fabrication of a Maxrad antenna, with slots on the back-side of the antenna which allows mounting gear to be inserted into the slots to permit the PMP 430 AP to be mounted directly to the back of the antenna.

It appears that the PMP 430 AP has a short coaxial jumper, terminated in an NM connector. It appears that this coaxial jumper is connected directly to the PMP 430 AP.

The power supply that powers the PMP 430 AP is different than the power supply that powers the “Canopy Classic” AP. When specifying the power supply for the new PMP 430 AP, an appropriate AC power cable also needs to be specified.

Does anyone know if the PMP 430 power supply has the pigtail used to interface to the network?

It appears that the standard Canopy Surge Protector line of products will work with the PMP 430 AP.

The PMP 430 SM appears to be powered with the standard “Canopy Classic” power supply.

It appears that the standard Canopy Surge Protector line of products will work with the PMP 430 SM.

It appears that the Universal Mounting Bracket can be used to mount a PMP 430 SM.

It appears that the MAC and user interfaces are the same between the “Canopy Classic” equipment and the PMP 430 series equipment.

Yes, no, maybe?

msmith wrote:
I have been performing some research on this product line and have developed a few conclusions that I wanted to mention here to see if anyone has any comments.

In the US, the PMP 430 AP is purchased as a kit, which includes the radio and a 90° sector antenna. The sector antenna appears to be a custom fabrication of a Maxrad antenna, with slots on the back-side of the antenna which allows mounting gear to be inserted into the slots to permit the PMP 430 AP to be mounted directly to the back of the antenna.

It appears that the PMP 430 AP has a short coaxial jumper, terminated in an NM connector. It appears that this coaxial jumper is connected directly to the PMP 430 AP.

The power supply that powers the PMP 430 AP is different than the power supply that powers the "Canopy Classic" AP. When specifying the power supply for the new PMP 430 AP, an appropriate AC power cable also needs to be specified.

Does anyone know if the PMP 430 power supply has the pigtail used to interface to the network?

It appears that the standard Canopy Surge Protector line of products will work with the PMP 430 AP.

The PMP 430 SM appears to be powered with the standard "Canopy Classic" power supply.

It appears that the standard Canopy Surge Protector line of products will work with the PMP 430 SM.

It appears that the Universal Mounting Bracket can be used to mount a PMP 430 SM.

It appears that the MAC and user interfaces are the same between the "Canopy Classic" equipment and the PMP 430 series equipment.

Yes, no, maybe?

we just put a second unit up on a different location closer in the city. here is some info i have after dealing with this equipment & installing it on a 10 story rooftop.

The AP is extremely difficult to mount. Ok maybe difficult isn't the proper word but it is a PITA! whoever designed that should be taken in a dark alley & you know what :D

The PMP430 AP power supply is 56 volts & therefore cannot be powered using a standard cmm port. we've had to do some nice "engineering" to make it work using existing CMM's. We have ordered a CMM4 with alternative power supply for this 430 stuff.

On the SM side, theres really not a lot of difference to the naked eye vs the FSK line. Yes you can use the same power supply & surge that you already have been using on FSK stuff. i cant tell you there is much difference on the SM side of things, pretty standard except for some of the parameters once you get logged in.

Really you are on point on alot of those statements, hope some of my comments help.

Drew

What about a Last Mile Gear CTM? Would this be enough power to power the APs?

http://www.lastmilegear.com/product.php?id=708&mid=m3&manf=Last+Mile+Gear-Wireless&cat1=Timing+Modules&cat2=Desktop

pcpolo wrote:
What about a Last Mile Gear CTM? Would this be enough power to power the APs?

http://www.lastmilegear.com/product.php?id=708&mid=m3&manf=Last+Mile+Gear-Wireless&cat1=Timing+Modules&cat2=Desktop

i cant imagine that being enough power to run the OFDM unit. its requires 56volts & i'm only seeing 22-31 volts with this unit. but i'm no expert :D

Ok, after reading up on the specs it looks like it should be enough to run the PMP400 at least.

pcpolo,

Would you happen to have any photographs of a field-installed AP and/or the AP power supply?

For cost-containment purposes, I plan on using an external 120° sector antenna as opposed to the “kitted” 90° sector antenna.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pics of the install. Its currently installed 450’ feet high and just on the legs of the tower.
I’m hoping to send a camera up with the climbers soon though so I can see how it looks.

At 450’ what kind of downtilt did you put on the antennae?

Keefe

After trial and error we are currently at 4° downtilt. We get about .8 miles and the farthest usable signal we got was a -86 at 6.5 miles.
But most our signals are within 4.5 miles.

Is that with the PMP400 or PMP430?

That is with the PMP400 5.4Ghz

Just wondering, is PMP430 (10MHz mode) compatible with PMP400?

lark wrote:
Just wondering, is PMP430 (10MHz mode) compatible with PMP400?

are you asking if the 5.4ghz is compatible with the 5.8ghz product?