Weird web interface problem...

I have an AP with 3 SMs registered to it. They all have private “172.” addresses and each of the SMs has the Network Accessability set to “Public.” First thing Monday morning, I was able to get directly into the AP and each SM. No less than an hour or two later I wasn’t able to get into the SMs EXCEPT through the AP. I rebooted the AP and everything was honkey dory, then an hour or so later…same problem: I could get to the AP but not directly to the SMs. I waited without rebooting the AP again and a little while later the SMs where accessible.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any idea what it could be? I know that Public IP addresses can bog down the web interface, but these are all private, and the SMs are NOT set to “local,” but “public”. Weird huh?

:?

There could be a slight chance that one of your clients plugged in there router backwards and that there local area network runs on 172.x.y.z as well.

If you haven’t already done so I would highly recommend going into the “Advanced Network Config” on your SM’s and set the Bootp Server, SNMP, and IPv4 Multicast filters to on. This will stop problems from arising when people plug in there routers backwards, as well as help with IP mutlicast packet storms.

One thing you could do is set a laptop with a 172.x.y.z address that should be able to access the SM’s, then ping some of your SM’s, let it time out if it does, then check your arp table or use a packet sniffer, and see if your have a MAC in the table that corressponds with your SM’s, if there is an IP address of an SM with a MAC that does not match a canopy radio it is a good indication that someone has something plugged in backwards one of your clients ends.

If you haven't already done so I would highly recommend going into the "Advanced Network Config" on your SM's and set the Bootp Server, SNMP, and IPv4 Multicast filters to on.

Yes, these filters were enabled on the SMs.

After doing a little more digging on the board here, I'm wondering if this problem has something to do with the Bridge Entry Timeout in the AP, but I still haven't found a specific cause to this problem.

Any other recommendations?

We set all the AP’s, BH’s and SM’s to 500 min or higher. this ensures that the router times out before the radio.

I’m guessing that your Bridge Entry Timeout is set to default?

Jerry Richardson wrote:

I'm guessing that your Bridge Entry Timeout is set to default?

That would be correct :oops:

after some research we have set our time outs to the max setting of 1440. anyone see any issues with this (memory capacity, etc.)?

thanks

Nope, as long as the timout in the radio is longer than the ARP timout in the router you’ll be OK

All of our radios are at 1440 and this has never caused an issue. It has only helped.