900MHz 450i yagi antenna dry rotting after 1 year

Hello,

We got back this 450i yagi after it was in the field for 1 year.  The heat shrink around the RF cabling is beginning to dry rot.  FYI to CN to use UV rated heat shrink.  Once the seal fails and water penetrates the connection, the

antenna will be junk.  I am hoping I am wrong and we will never have a problem with this.  :-(

Thank you for highlighting the observation and we will investigate further. 

Two requests.  First, I would like you to open a RMA (https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/) and return the unit you provided the image of; you will have to first open a support ticket to do so.   You can reference this exchange if the agent requests the background. 

Second, please take a moment to describe the environment the unit was deployed geographically, e.g., altitude, general location, etc.  so we have a better feel for general conditions when evaluating.

Scott

1 Like

Thanks Scott,

This is Northern Illinois weather, ground elevation: 271.0 meters (889.1 feet) AMSL.

Wind, snow, rain and sun.  We get it all.  :-)

Service was installed 2/17/2017 and discontinued 2/28/2018.

I had already smeared some silicone on the dry rotting area, not expecting CN to return this.

I myself am based in our Rolling Meadows Illinois headquarters so familiar with the "changing seasons" - in fact, one of those "see it all" days today!  I would still like to get our hands on one of those antennas exhibiting the rot.  The next time you experience it and have the opportunity please return and replace. Irrespective, as previously mentioned we are investing on our end.   Best,  Scott

FVI,

We don't believe this will impact the IP rating of the antenna because we have done waterproof treatment using silicon gel inside the edges of the plastic boxes including the connection between the heat shrink. We are evaluating alternate material for the heat shrink. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you RMA it, please email the support case number to rajesh.vijayakumar@cambiumnetworks.com so the unit can be routed back to the development team for inspection.

--Rajesh

So the reseller that we purchased this from is telling us that they can't RMA it because it was purchased more than a year ago.  Is there anything you could do to help us get this RMA'd?  Any help would be appreciated.

Please open a support ticket with Cambium for the RMA if you have not done that already. Then email the ticket # to rajesh.vijayakumar@cambiumnetworks.com.

--Rajesh

wrote:

Please open a support ticket with Cambium for the RMA if you have not done that already. Then email the ticket # to rajesh.vijayakumar@cambiumnetworks.com.

--Rajesh

Email sent.  Thanks.