Anybody managed to max out a 450m ? What's your max throughput ?

Hi Michael,

We think it's possible the CIR settings may be hampering the link test result, you said most SMs were limited to 5Mbps. Upcoming releases will allow the link test to ignore CIR settings (via radio button).

Could you share the field_diags.cgi from the unit to help us understand the setup ?

I sent a PM last week with my details and how to collect them.

best regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

We have a PMP 450M with 86 clients off it.  So far we are not seeing the throughput we would expect from a 450M.  We are hoping someone at Cambium could assist us in figuring out the bottleneck.

I will send files from the AP later this afternoon once the peak usage hours arrive.  Below is some information on the AP, the environment, configuration, and what we have observed so far: 

All of the clients are within 1 mile of the AP.  The AP is running on firmware version 15.1.3 at 5.1 GHz, 20MHz channel, 2.5 ms frame period.  Frame configuration is at 75% downlink.

According to cnMaestro and our Solarwinds installation, we are seeing the AP top out at around 132 Mbps with 99% DL frame utilization.  Sector utilization usually settles around 56-63%.  The switch the AP plugs into is negotiating at 1Gbps so that is not a bottleneck. 

We have received numerous complaints lately from clients off the AP.  Each SM is set to 12Mbps down / 3Mbps up.  Yesterday we ran a speed test on one of the troublesome customers.  A capped speed test from the AP -> SM was only receiving 3.6 Mbps down whereas a speed test without MIR hit 60Mbps down.  The AP does run through RADIUS but I have not seen any evidence of the server breaking a sweat.  If RADIUS was the issue, I would expect to see complaints from clients off other APs, but that has not been the case. 

We originally had 4 contention slots and tried bumping that up (4 ->5->8->12) but that did not make a difference in throughput.  We tweaked the QoS settings on the AP, though it appears via reading the user manual that only impacts each SM throughput.

Thanks,

Rachael

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the detailed background information.

field_diags.cgi for the 450m and engineering.cgi from a troublesome SM would be a good place to start, email direct to me.

I'll have a quick look but if it's down in CIR/MIR settings I'll probably have to get extra advice from other engineers on Monday.

best regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

The diagnostics have been emailed to you.

Hi Rachel,

Nothing has turned up in my inbox, although I think office365 was having problems yesterday.

I'll send a private forum message to confirm the details.

best regards,

Andy.

re: QoS settings, entering zero is the way to get around the 310Mbps aggregate capacity limit.

Brady Joseph

Jun 18, 8:27 AM CDT

Chat started: 2018-06-18 12:59 PM UTC

(12:59:18 PM) Brady Joseph: QoS on AP questions..

(01:09:24 PM) *** Purnankh Dhankhar joined the chat ***
(01:09:34 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: Hello Brady, thank you for contacting Cambium Networks Customer Support!
(01:14:56 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: Are you there Brady?
(01:15:00 PM) Brady Joseph: yes i am
(01:15:05 PM) Brady Joseph: Quick question...
(01:15:15 PM) Brady Joseph: what is the QoS in the 450m AP used for?
(01:17:44 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: You can configure/control the amount of data traffic between AP and SM.
(01:17:48 PM) Brady Joseph: I notice this QoS setting set Speed for the AP on the whole.
(01:18:50 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: You can refer to page 536 for each setting and its function.
(01:18:53 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/file/10acace92cae761d2252601efca1edbf9f3b9a10
(01:19:13 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: This is the user guide link.
(01:19:33 PM) Brady Joseph: I first noticed when the default speed setting was set to 150Mbps after changing it 250mbps the data climbed up to 250Mbps but we were told by a cambium engineer that the AP speed is open and that this QoS setting only relate to the amount of bandwidth a customer SM can push to the AP.
(01:20:43 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: This is allowing the amount of throughput to be provided by the AP to the SMs. If you set 150 Mbps, you had restricted the throughput.
(01:21:54 PM) Brady Joseph: Let me give you a better idea of the AP in question... Its on a 40Mhz channel with 220 customers. where the qos setting in AP is set to 260 down and 40 up. at this setting my AP is still restricted even when my throughput multiple vc test reflects 520mbps.
(01:22:51 PM) Brady Joseph: It looks like the agregate QoS setting is 300Mbps... it does not allow QoS and greater than that. Why?
(01:24:23 PM) Brady Joseph: I need greater QoS setting in AP. to push 300 Mbps or more to connected customers.
(01:25:22 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: I believe you are doing these configurations on Configuration -- QoS tab.
(01:25:30 PM) Brady Joseph: yes
(01:25:43 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: If you set the values to 0, it will become unlimited or uncapped.
(01:25:45 PM) Brady Joseph: in the ap
(01:25:51 PM) Brady Joseph: ohh yea????
(01:25:51 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: Thats correct
(01:25:54 PM) Brady Joseph: thank you!!!!
(01:26:03 PM) Brady Joseph: :-)
(01:26:18 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: No problem.
(01:26:22 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: Is there anything else I can help you with?
(01:26:57 PM) Brady Joseph: no
(01:26:59 PM) Brady Joseph: thank you
(01:27:06 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: You are welcome.
(01:27:09 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: I will go ahead and close this chat. Thank you for choosing Cambium Networks!
(01:27:15 PM) Purnankh Dhankhar: Have a good day.
(01:27:45 PM) *** Purnankh Dhankhar left the chat ***

2 Likes

Thanks Michael,

re: QoS settings, entering zero is the way to get around the 310Mbps aggregate capacity limit.

Did you get a change in throughput after doing this ?

best regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

We changed each field under the AP Bandwidth Settings header in the QoS tab to 0.  However we have not seen any significant improvement this afternoon.

I ran a link test to an SM around 1PM and received our standard 12Mb down / 3 up.  Then this afternoon around 4PM the SM was capping out at around 3Mb down / 3Mb up.

I have emailed the newest diagnostic files to you from this afternoon.

Would it be possible to have an engineer look at this tomorrow?  This is becoming a  major issue for us.  We are having many, many complaints from customers off of the AP.

Hi Rachael,

I'm not in the office today to look at the files myself but I will forward them to several others who should be able to go through them.

best regards,

Andy.

Here is a link test from one of our sectors. Best results so far.

2 Likes

Hi Jnolla,

That looks pretty good !

Could you let us know a few things for comparison like bandwidth, range and downlink percentage ?

Do you know why Rodriguez Jorge is only getting MIMO-A ?

Thanks for sharing this, great to see good results in the field.

best regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

We have 3 plans:

15/5

25/10

35/15

Range on the AP is set to 15 miles. All of the customers for this sector are within the 2 mile range. AP is set to 75% downlink.

I'm not entirely sure why Rodriguez Jorge is in MIMO-A on AP. The SM shows as below:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I agree SM end saying MIMO-B, but the Signal Strength ratio is 11dB V-H, so maybe there is an alignment issue causing the SM to switch between MIMO-A and MIMO-B. Worth keeping an eye on.

I was also interested in the bandwidth set on the radio, e.g. 20MHz, 30MHz or 40MHz ?

What group sizes were you getting in the linktest (the bit below your first screen shot) ?

Sorry for all the questions !

Nice to get feedback from the 'real world'.

best regards,

Andy.

Bandwidth is set to 40Mhz. Here is the group sizes.

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 8.10.58 PM.png

1 Like

Wow, that's pretty consistent group of 4 !

Thanks.

Andy.

Big shoutout to Cambium's Design services!! I've been working with Seth and we're delivering 100mbps packages....

This wasn't our best but I'm still winning :) 

I

4 Likes

So just so no one thinks i'm cheating in a lab- these are legit customers just awesome engineering from Seth with Cambium's design team...

4 Likes

Thanks Thomas,

Those are some great results !

best regards,

Andy.

Thomas,

Glad to see you are experiencing value add with our engineering services.  We are continuing to refine and add services to our portfolio.   We are happy to have partnered with you in your network buildout!

CCH

2 Likes

Link to some of the installation pictures.

1 Like