New WFQ and Data Channel Priority features

Hi, a few questions to better understand the new WFQ and Data Channel Priority Settings features before I start experimenting on my gear:

1. Are the Data Channel Priority Setting independent of the previously existing "SM Prioritization" feature?
2. How does the previous "SM Prioritization" interact with the new "Data Channel Priority" on the SM?
3. How does the previous "SM Prioritization" setting interact with the WFQ settings on the AP?
4. With WFQ enabled, are the WFQ allocation percentages set on the AP a maximum or a minimum limit?  That is, if there is free airtime, can a a VC use more than the allocated percentage for a given prioritization level?
5. This statement on page 7-227 of the "PMP 450x Configuration and User Guide 15.2.pdf" does not make sense to me:

"If the percentage of Low Priority SMs is configured as 100%, or SM Prioritization is disabled, or the WFQ feature is disabled, then the GUI displays the following set of five WFQ configuration parameters"

Should that read "...and the WFQ feature is enabled..."?  I would think, if the WFQ feature is disabled, one could not change any of the WFQ parameters.

1. Are the Data Channel Priority Setting independent of the previously existing "SM Prioritization" feature?

2. How does the previous "SM Prioritization" interact with the new "Data Channel Priority" on the SM?

SM Prioritization works in conjunction with Data Channel Priority.
Within a Prioritization Group, data is further prioritized strictly based on their Data Channel Priority.

@cleonello 3. How does the previous "SM Prioritization" setting interact with the WFQ settings on the AP?

When both SM Prioritization and WFQ are enabled, data is prioritized based on the WFQ allocation percentages, within a Prioritization Group. Any unused airtime by any priority level will be allocated for other traffic based on strict priority.

4. With WFQ enabled, are the WFQ allocation percentages set on the AP a maximum or a minimum limit?  That is, if there is free airtime, can a a VC use more than the allocated percentage for a given prioritization level?

WFQ allocation percentages are a minimum limit. Any unused airtime is allocated for other traffic based on strict priority.

@cleonello wrote:

5. This statement on page 7-227 of the "PMP 450x Configuration and User Guide 15.2.pdf" does not make sense to me:

"If the percentage of Low Priority SMs is configured as 100%, or SM Prioritization is disabled, or the WFQ feature is disabled, then the GUI displays the following set of five WFQ configuration parameters"

Should that read "...and the WFQ feature is enabled..."?  I would think, if the WFQ feature is disabled, one could not change any of the WFQ parameters.

You are right. It should read as "WFQ feature is enabled". Thanks for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Thank you Balaji, vey helpful clarifications!