New paper comparing PMP 450 and LTE in 3 GHz

Check out the new solution paper comparing PMP 450 and LTE in 3 GHz. Learn about interference mitigation, scalability, and total cost of ownership. Download the paper HERE.

Share your comments and feedback on this thread.

2 Likes

Any questions or discussion, please post in this thread.

However, where the frequency is licensed, the maximum power is typically much higher, and in fact, when new CBRS rules are in place, the power limit will be higher. When the 450m (with cnMedusa technology) is released in this band, it will be a higher power device and be able to achieve the new regulatory limits expected under the new rules, lessening the impact of competitive products.

I'm unfamiliar with the proposed CBRS rules, but what kind of power bump is expected here?  That'll be another nice checkmark in the wishlist either way.

Great write up! but, I do have questions regarding the future of the 450 platform

Are you ever going to adopt OFDMA, MCS and more subcarrieres to match LTE? The lack of NLOS penetration compared to LTE is what changing the minds of your customers and the migations away from the platform. That is the key for this spectrum moving forward as the 900mhz spectrum is to noisy to guarantee any real throughput in a NLOS enviroment.

Now you do say the 450m will have a higher power and that great but how much are we talking about? In Canada we have a pretty high allowance already so will this help us? I don't think this is the answer, higher power is great! but all you are doing is adding to your noise floor for you and your competitors.....

Also to add to that is the 450m going to be similar to the 5ghz model in that you have to have a customer base that is spread out over the 90 degree sector to see the real benefit? If so, what are your options for towers with dense customers that are in only 30-40 degrees of the sectors? will you be releasing a 4x4 MIMO model to market setups that cant see the benefit of the 450m?

Other then the limited NLOS compared to LTE really love love the product but, hope you come up with something to compete soon. I know im not the only one watching the LTE space and seeing if it is worth the jump but it is becoming very tempting.....

1 Like

@jaggermifter wrote:

Great write up! but, I do have questions regarding the future of the 450 platform

Are you ever going to adopt OFDMA, MCS and more subcarrieres to match LTE? The lack of NLOS penetration compared to LTE is what changing the minds of your customers and the migations away from the platform. That is the key for this spectrum moving forward as the 900mhz spectrum is to noisy to guarantee any real throughput in a NLOS enviroment.

Now you do say the 450m will have a higher power and that great but how much are we talking about? In Canada we have a pretty high allowance already so will this help us? I don't think this is the answer, higher power is great! but all you are doing is adding to your noise floor for you and your competitors.....

Also to add to that is the 450m going to be similar to the 5ghz model in that you have to have a customer base that is spread out over the 90 degree sector to see the real benefit? If so, what are your options for towers with dense customers that are in only 30-40 degrees of the sectors? will you be releasing a 4x4 MIMO model to market setups that cant see the benefit of the 450m?

Other then the limited NLOS compared to LTE really love love the product but, hope you come up with something to compete soon. I know im not the only one watching the LTE space and seeing if it is worth the jump but it is becoming very tempting.....

Did you read that Cambium is developing an LTE platform called 'cnRanger'? It was announced at WISPAPALOOZA.

I was unable to get to the Monday session at WISPA so i must have missed that news.... Has there been any details released? timeline?

It's going to be called cnRanger. It will initially start in B41/2.5GHz with beta gear sometime mid/late 2018, with B42/B43/CBRS 3.XGHz following soon after. It's a marriage between the LTE standard and PMP450's software. They're trying to design it to be as simple as 450 to deploy with a lot of the software features that people know and love. They're designing it to not need an EPC and being layer 2 agnostic. They're also coming out of the gate using LTE Advanced (release 10 or higher on the eNb and CAT6 or higher on the UE).

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the information.

Ray, you may want to correct on the first page where it says, "(via the Citizens Band Radio
Service [CBRS] initiative)". Citizens Broadband Radio Service was a very unfortunate choice of name by the FCC, but it's not the same as "breaker breaker good buddy"!  :-)

@Steven wrote:
However, where the frequency is licensed, the maximum power is typically much higher, and in fact, when new CBRS rules are in place, the power limit will be higher. When the 450m (with cnMedusa technology) is released in this band, it will be a higher power device and be able to achieve the new regulatory limits expected under the new rules, lessening the impact of competitive products.

I'm unfamiliar with the proposed CBRS rules, but what kind of power bump is expected here?  That'll be another nice checkmark in the wishlist either way.

CBRS allows up to +47 dBm/10 MHz. The existing 3650 rules allow +40 dBm/10 MHz (actually 1 watt/MHz). One catch with CBRS is that it requires adjacent-channel signals to be below -13 dBm/MHz. (Note that in-channel power is averaged over 10 MHz; out-of-channel over 1MHz. So that's a 50 dB ratio.) Only a VERY clean radio will  be down 50 dB in the adjacent 10 MHz channel, certainly not one based on current Wi-Fi chips, or even the cheaper LTE chips. The 450 family, however, is very clean. Heck, on 5 GHz you can probaly spot the 400/450/600/650s on a spectrum analyzer just by their steep skirts.