PMP450 Sync SM-AP

Hi,

Can a PMP 450 SM extend sync to another collocated AP?

if yes, so it will done using any tupe of sync or just when we using the uGPS?

1 Like

Updated to reflect more accurate responses below.

2 Likes

Actually, Eric and Elmajidi, 450 SM is indeed able to pass sync to a co-located AP. There is a known, limitation for certain configurations, which I will explain below.

To answer your question, Almajidi, the SM's AUX port can be connected to the AUX port of the co-located AP, and as long as the SM remains in session with its remote AP, it will pass the sync signal along to the co-located AP. The cable used here would be the same cable used to connect a 450 or 450i to a UGPS, depending on the types of AP/SM you're dealing with. The important part to remember is the 450 AUX port uses an RJ-12 connector, like the UGPS, but 450i AUX port uses RJ-45.

All that said, the following combinations should work:

• 450i SM to 450i AP (RJ-45 to RJ-45)
  • 450 SM to 450 AP (RJ-12 to RJ-12, same cable as standard 450 AP UGPS cable)
  • 450i SM to 450 AP (RJ-45 to RJ-12, same cable as standard 450i AP UGPS cable)

This combination is known to NOT work, due to hardware limitations:

• 450 SM to 450i AP

There is no SM-side setting that needs to be configured for this to work, it's just automatic when the cabling is present. Also, please note that while the Sync type will appear as Timing Port / UGPS on the AP's Sync Status page, there will be no UGPS data available, since only the sync pulse is passed over the cable.

-Al

4 Likes

For easy reference, the cabling structures are in the Knowledge Base:

Cable from UGPS to 450i/450m (and reverse)

If you're connecting a 450 AP (i.e. RJ-12 to RJ-12 cable), then a straight-thru cable will work.

How do you know if the Sync pulse is actually working? Currently, I have a PMP 450i 900 MHz connected to a UGPS. I have the PMP 450i SM next to a PMP 450 3.65 AP with the correct cable (RJ12-RJ45). How do I know if the sync is actually working if no data shows it is synced?

@WiVDorian wrote:

How do you know if the Sync pulse is actually working? Currently, I have a PMP 450i 900 MHz connected to a UGPS. I have the PMP 450i SM next to a PMP 450 3.65 AP with the correct cable (RJ12-RJ45). How do I know if the sync is actually working if no data shows it is synced?

On the 3 GHz AP, after configuring the sync setting to Autosync or Autosync + Free Run and rebooting, the Sync status on the main page should indicate something like “Receiving Sync (Timing Port)” if it it working successfully. The Sync Status tab should also indicate a similar message.

Hello, Is it possible to extend the synchronism from one PTP 670 to another in the same place? (Repeater)

Hi rocoedu,

I think Mark Thomas' replies in this post may answer your question.  Let me know if you need more information.

Steve

1 Like