PMP450b form factor

Hi all,

i write this post for get information about pmp450b and his implementation.

In the roadmap there are the possibility to have the same features (max transmit power, ultra-wide band support, high packet processing power, gigabit interface) with the same form factor of pmp450 sm?

Now I have a thousand of pmp450 sm (5.4 - 5.7 ghz) with reflector dish in my network.

In this case for a future upgrade/migration I can re-utilize the reflector dish and protect my investment.

I think there are a LOT of wisp in the same situation...

Thanks and sorry for my English

Pierre

Thanks for the message Pierre.  We have considered this, and part of the investment in the updated hardware includes a much more powerful integrated antenna, at a very reasonable price.  This will greatly help customers with need to deploy new subscribers, but I totally understand your desire to re-use existing reflector dish hardware.

Keep in mind also, that we will be releasing an integrated reflector dish model of the 450b in Q4.  While it won't be able to re-use the old style of reflector, this new device will be very powerful and have a gain of 25 dBi (slightly better even than that of the old reflector.  It will be much easier to align and deploy, and can be had for a reasonable price.

I'll throw a +1 to this.

It would be great to have an upgraded verison of the existing PMP450 form factor Subscriber Module available as well.

The downside of the new PMP450b range is retrofitting to our existing customers and network as Pierre mentioned, its actually an overall increased cost because we need to decomission the existing reflector - so overall cost increase.

No doubt we'll use the PMP450b 25 dBi integrated for new deployments however it would be great to have an upgraded version for retrofits.

Just to be clear the PMP 450 Subscriber Module and the PMP 450b suubscriber module (Mid-Gain and High-Gain) are all interoperable and a single Access Point can simultaneously support all three - there is no need to decommission any of your existing subscriber modules.  Further, you can re-deploy existing subscriber modules on current and future Access Points as required. 

The PMP 450b Subscriber Module does extend down to 4.9GHz thereby picking up 5.1 and 5.2GHz, not currently supported by the existing PMP 450 Subscriber Module (the PMP 450i Subscriber Module does support 4.9, 5.1 and 5.2 GHz).  The incremental gain of the newly designed PMP 450b mid-gain, delivering 16dBi, is expected to eliminate the need for the CLIP and in some cases the use of a reflector dish.  Doing so reduces installation time, eliminates ponts of failure, and makes for a more attractive installation for the end customer.

Scott

1 Like

will PMP450b have 30dbm tx power?

Thanks for the responses.

I’m assuming that:

1)in real word environment it’s impossible to have a decent ap throughput without the use of sm+reflector dish

2)in the near future I’m obliged to change all my sm to speed over 55 mbps and keep up with the market. So the decommission of existing sm it’s mandatory (in prospective)

Just right now (excluding 450d) Cambium has never build sm with high gain (I think the reason is to get more money selling reflector and CLIPs); this fact obliged all wisp to buy reflector dish (view point 1).

So now, with an eye to on the future (view point 2) I have to buy high gain 450b because the only gain of mid-gain 450b it’s not sufficient to achieve a decent modulation. If the mid-gain 450b will cost like a 450sm I think that high-gain 450b will cost more. So, I have to spend more money and throw away all my reflector dish and related investment.

In my opinion an intelligent choice was to build a new sm with same form factor, with improved performances (max transmit power, ultra-wide band support, high packet processing power, gigabit interface) and regular gain (9 dbi). In this case, I can buy new sm (maybe with a lower price because lower gain), re-use my reflector dish (re-align not necessary) and and keep up with the market.

Cambium have great products but worst commercial policy in my opinion. This fact can lead to thinking customers about changing brand.

Thanks and sorry for my English.

Pierre

@CambiumMatt wrote:

Keep in mind also, that we will be releasing an integrated reflector dish model of the 450b in Q4.  

To be clear: when will be available mid and high gain PMP450b?

Thank you 

The mid-gain 450b will start shipping in August, and the high gain is expected in the middle of Q4.

1 Like

Juan,

The radio is capable of +27 dBm Tx power, and the mid-gain version has a +16 dBm antenna, so the maxium EIRP s 43 dBm.

In practice the EIRP will be governed by local regulatory reqruiements.  As an example, tt is restricted to 36 dBm in 5.1 and 5.8GHz;  and 25 dBm in 5.4 and 5.2 GHz; in the US by the FCC.

Scott

You can always install a 450b in a dish an see ho it performs... if you gain 3db... you are winning 

I will try :) I hope that someone produce an adapter!

Honestly, I'm over reflectors.  Having already re-invested in new dishes because cambium couldn't size the 3ghz sm's to fit the old dishes (the fiberglass ones), the sooner they change form factors the better.  

Figure out a way to build the 450i cpe cheaper and I'd be a happy camper.

@Steven wrote:

Figure out a way to build the 450i cpe cheaper and I'd be a happy camper.

This is pretty much what the 450b is... 

Granted this first release is a "mid-gain" version (with 17 dBi gain), the next version will be an integrated reflector with 25 dBi gain (the "high gain" version).

The list price of these devices are (hopefully) much more palatable than those of the 450i SM, yet bring the performance benefits of that advanced radio.

1 Like

We have tested the 450b with 60cm offset dish and it gain only 4dB the old 450sm works much better.  The 450b high gain 'll be available Q1/Q2 2018 so we don't have any  hardware to compete with the fiber.

The price for the old 450sm is higher than 450b mid gain. This have no sense for me.

High price for the old sm and no new hardware and I spent a lot of money to buy medusa with no chance to sell a fiber like service via wireless.

I am very disappointed about cambium!!!

Giuseppe

@beppeoro wrote:

We have tested the 450b with 60cm offset dish and it gain only 4dB the old 450sm works much better.  The 450b high gain 'll be available Q1/Q2 2018 so we don't have any  hardware to compete with the fiber.

The price for the old 450sm is higher than 450b mid gain. This have no sense for me.

High price for the old sm and no new hardware and I spent a lot of money to buy medusa with no chance to sell a fiber like service via wireless.

I am very disappointed about cambium!!!

Giuseppe

So first off, the 450b is not designed to be used with an offset dish, but it's interesting that you get 4dB on top of the integrated 17dBi antenna... so you're saying the total gain with the 450b + reflector is 21dBi? Why not just use 450b mid-gain with or without reflector for the time being and when the 450b high gain comes out use that instead of the 450b mid-gain + reflector dish?

I'm not sure why you're so disappointed when Cambium is working very hard to deliver fiber like speeds using Medusa here very soon (30/40mhz channels are currently in beta for 450m), there's a new 450b mid-gain available now that's priced competitively and fully unlocked, and there's a 450b high-gain right around the corner, litterally a few months away. Everything you're asking for is almost here!

1) 21dB 450b mid gain+reflector is not enough for the crowled 5ghz spectrum here in italy

2) 450b high gain will be available for april maybe later

3) actually the old 450sm works well with reflector but the uncapped price is too high for the perfomance

4) medusa @ 30MHz seems to work well but without high gain and faster cpu CPE is not usable (same performance at 20 Mhz or 30 MHz max 45 Mb/s with vlan tagging activated)

We can't buy old 450sm and change it when 450b high gain 'll be availbale is too expensive operation for a small wisp.

Cambium selling policy is not attractive for small wisp: it's hard to compete with fiber telco when you pay the cpe 200 euro and the medusa around 6000 euro. We buy 3 medusa to make some field test it is good for backhauling of small cells but to sell to end users it is too expensive. Here in italy a 200 mb/s fiber service costs around 30 euro per months.

I am dissapointed about price and perfomace of the CPE. Medusa AP works great!!