PMP450i AP with uGPS

Hi All

Is there a wiring guide for the PMP450i AUX port? We need to power a uGPS from the AUX port, but I believe this requires a custom RJ45 to RJ12 cable, with special pin-out. The latest Sync user guide is not updated with the 450i wiring guide. We are trying to put 2X AP on each uGPS.

Just for further information, the uGPS powers from an external 29.5V Canopy PSU fine, so I do not believe it to be faulty. It must surely be a pin-out problem.

Thanks

Take a look at this attached PDF wiring diagram, while it shows you how to provide uGPS for (4) radios, you can also use this to provide sync for two. Thanks to Jonathan Mandziara @ Cambium for providing this!

3 Likes

Thanks Eric, helpful as always.

2 Likes

Thanks for this diagram. It is very helpful.

Is there a reason as to why they made the timing interface an rj11 vs a rj45? Sadly this will add another suplly I will have to carry that I didn't before.

1 Like

What Eric posted is a bit of a "non-standard" deployment (although it will also work).

The typical cable pinout for connecting a UGPS to the 450i AUX port can be found in a recently posted knowledge base article:  here

Further information can also be found in the Cambium User Guide v14.1.1, available here.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick Reply.

Referencing the wiring diagram here, I just want to confirm that this is  the correct configuration between a UGPS (1096H) and a 450i 900 AP (9082chh).

Thanks

1 Like

Yep, the 900 MHz AP (9082CHH) is a 450i, has the same AUX port and supports exactly that pinout.

Will this work to power a Syncpipe off the Aux port as well?

@hci wrote:

Will this work to power a Syncpipe off the Aux port as well?

No. Forrest said it's not timing compatible, nor can it be powered by the aux port. He did say that he's working on a UGPS-like SyncPipe.

I re-open this topic to ask if there's a way to syncronize 4 AP 450 (not 450i) with  a uGPS like done with 450i.

Thank you!

for 4 older-style PMP450 APs, have you looked at a Packetflux solution? I'm using the Aux Port model for my 450m units, but this one is compatible with the older 450 APs, and one unit will handle timing for 4 APs, instead of just 2 for uGPS.

http://store.packetflux.com/syncbox-junior-timing-port-version/

1 Like

Very interesting!!

Thank you!!

@dshea wrote:

for 4 older-style PMP450 APs, have you looked at a Packetflux solution? I'm using the Aux Port model for my 450m units, but this one is compatible with the older 450 APs, and one unit will handle timing for 4 APs, instead of just 2 for uGPS.

http://store.packetflux.com/syncbox-junior-timing-port-version/

You can do that, but you'll have to have a dedicated cat5 to power the box itself.

There's the new Aux port version of the SyncBox Junior that supports UGPS power from 1 or more APs.

http://store.packetflux.com/syncbox-junior-aux-port-version/

Since the timing port on the regular 450AP is 6p6c, you'll have to make RJ45 to RJ12 patch cables, wired correctly of course.

We are testing the PacketFlux  Junior Timing port version.

With AP 450 works great.

With 450i using the patch cables finded in the Cambium User Guide we have a strange behaviour (attached  file):

The AP 450i lost the Antenna connection (Unknown) and GPS data and Time. After some munutes it starts to work correctly.

To connect the PacketFlux to 450i we using the cabling attached scheme.

@Telemar wrote:

We are testing the PacketFlux  Junior Timing port version.

With AP 450 works great.

With 450i using the patch cables finded in the Cambium User Guide we have a strange behaviour (attached  file):

The AP 450i lost the Antenna connection (Unknown) and GPS data and Time. After some munutes it starts to work correctly.

To connect the PacketFlux to 450i we using the cabling attached scheme.

It's not just you. I see the same. Cambium still has some serial data bugs to work out with the 450i aux port.

This behaviour cause SM's disconnections?

And this problem is also in the AUX port version?

Sync works fine. It's just the serial data on the 450i.

Sorry to bump an old topic.

How are you guys joining the cable from the uGPS port to the 2 450i AP's?

Are you just stripping back the cable and joining them that way or using some sort of three-way splitter/junction box.

We got this configuration working in our lab just stripping and joining the cables but would prefer to do something more robust when we look to deploy this over the coming weeks.

Thanks

Colin

Thak you very helpful!