Sync stuck in Free Run on V15.1.1

So after trying the `syncpowerport off camb` on our AP's for awhile, we're still seeing lots of GPS sync drops still. Can we get PLEASE get an official word or at least 'we're working on a fix' from Cambium here... I think enough people are having an issue and seeing a pattern here.

I haven't checked the logs but I am experiencing the same issues. Ap's will randomly switch to generating sync even when they are still receiving sync via timing port. I'll check the logs next time I find one. 

This is from a 3.6 PMP450 AP running 15.1.1 firmware that struck on Sunday.  I updated it too 15.1.2 rather then a straight reboot but 15.1.2 does not seem to fix these issues.

Sync Pulse Source :  Searching

Sync Pulse Status : Generating Sync - Free Run

Sync Pulse Status - On-board GPS : No Sync

Sync Pulse Status - Timing Port/UGPS : No Sync

Sync Pulse Status - Power Port : Receiving Canopy Sync

UGPS Power Status : Power Off

Althougth this AP is not a 450i it seems like on the 450i's a software reboot will fix them for up to 12 hours but a power cycle fixes things for weeks.  Not sure on the non-i units.

Also, the one above is set to free run but I am pretty sure I have had others not set to free run give the sync error but still have clients connected when acting up with a very poor connection.

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

So after trying the `syncpowerport off camb` on our AP's for awhile, we're still seeing lots of GPS sync drops still. Can we get PLEASE get an official word or at least 'we're working on a fix' from Cambium here... I think enough people are having an issue and seeing a pattern here.

Hey Eric,

Sorry for the long delay in response, but we are aware and investigating this issue currently. So far we have not reproduced this in-house, but I have been in contact with Forrest from PacketFlux, since he also mentioned he had seen/reproduced it and some of his customers have told him about it.

We’re going to continue to speak with Forrest about a reproduction scenario, and attempt to do so here as well. Rest assured it’s on our radar.

If you and anyone else here is experiencing this issue, please feel free to update with which specific equipment you’re using for sync, etc. which may narrow down our investigation.

Thanks!

I have 3 PMP450i APs, using PacketFlux SyncBox Jr model. Only one of them is exhibiting this issue (uptime over 20 days):

Software Version : CANOPY 15.1.2 AP-None
Board Type : P13

From Sync Status:

Sync Pulse Source :
Searching
Sync Pulse Status :
Generating Sync - Free Run
Sync Pulse Status - Timing Port/UGPS :
Receiving Sync
Sync Pulse Status - Power Port :
No Sync
UGPS Power Status :
Power On

ACCESS POINT STATS

Registered SM Count :
46 (46 Data VCs)
Sync Pulse Status :
Generating Sync - Free Run
Sync Pulse Source :
Searching
Maximum Count of Registered SMs :

From Event Log:

11/09/2017 : 02:13:13 CDT : Acquired sync pulse from Timing Port/UGPS
11/12/2017 : 16:50:59 CDT : Lost sync pulse from Timing Port/UGPS
11/12/2017 : 16:50:59 CDT : Generating Sync - Free Run
11/12/2017 : 16:51:14 CDT : Acquired sync pulse from Timing Port/UGPS
1 Like

Thanks, dshea. Judging from what you pasted, the logs seem to indicate sync came back, but the GUI is indicating it has not. For now, I don’t want to rule out a cosmetic issue, as opposed to actual sync loss.

If you or anyone else is willing to call customer support and open a ticket, we would be interested to remotely access a radio that is in this odd state to do some investigation, until we can reproduce it here.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with Cambium equipment (CMM4/5 or UGPS)? I’m trying to determine if that has any bearing on the issue, as every report I’ve heard indicates PacketFlux eqiupment was being used.

I am not positive but I am pretty sure I have had PTP450i units do this and the session would drop with a no sync status then a reboot would resolve.

Also, on a PMP450i 900 AP that exibited the sync loss we had custommers call and complain until the AP was rebooted.

1 Like

@hci wrote:

I am not positive but I am pretty sure I have had PTP450i units do this and the session would drop with a no sync status then a reboot would resolve.

Also, on a PMP450i 900 AP that exibited the sync loss we had custommers call and complain until the AP was rebooted.

I assume you mean you did not have Free Run enabled on those radios, and after dropping sync they would not transmit (as expected) until a reboot, correct?

I am pretty sure I have had 450 AP's NOT have "AutoSync + FreeRun" enabled still countinue to have registered sessions with bad connections and indicate "No Sync" but not indicate free run.

These things do not happen very often so hard to keep track of.  I do have remote logging enabled on all our AP's and BH masters.

1 Like

We've tried pretty much everything on this list to fix this GPS sync issue with no positive results. Symptoms are:

- Seems to be related to 15.X firmware builds

- Packetflux GPS

- We're having this happen to around 10 AP's, and it all happens within a half a week to a week. It's a reproducible issue.

- The AP will flap back and forth between losing and aquiring sync, sometimes many times per hour

- Rebooting the AP appears to fix the issue for awhile, but this might be a red herring as we've found that the the original 450 AP's will just fail-over to iGPS (if it can see enough satellites)

I could start a support ticket, but I'm somewhat loath to bring this up with them and would rather work with a Cambium team member directly that has a finger on this issue.

1 Like

I have several with this issue.  CMM4  Reboot brings it back.

Hauser South 3 - Sync Status [admin]

Sync Pulse Source :
Searching
Sync Pulse Status :
No Sync
Sync Pulse Status - On-board GPS :
Receiving Sync
Sync Pulse Status - Timing Port/UGPS :
No Sync
Sync Pulse Status - Power Port :
Receiving Canopy Sync
UGPS Power Status :
Power Off
1 Like

I had a few of these act up this morning and received alarm.  PMP450i/PTP450/PTP450i.  They are free running without sync when set not too.  SyncStatus page indicates receiving sync on power port too.  Its not just a cosmetic thing in the GUI.

I have a site I am updating that has a PMP450i and PTP450i with the error right now and no custommers.  Message me soon if someone at Cambium would like remote access.

1 Like

Eric,

I highly encourage you to open a ticket with the Cambium Support team.  Not only does that allow us to focus attention on the issue via the ticket where all data can be collected, but the issue can be better tracked.  I manage the support team and will ensure that the support team works closely with engineering to find a resolution.

Chuck

Ticket Opened.

@hci wrote:

I had a few of these act up this morning and received alarm.  PMP450i/PTP450/PTP450i.  They are free running without sync when set not too.  SyncStatus page indicates receiving sync on power port too.  Its not just a cosmetic thing in the GUI.

I have a site I am updating that has a PMP450i and PTP450i with the error right now and no custommers.  Message me soon if someone at Cambium would like remote access.

Sent you a PM. Thanks for opening a ticket, as well. I’ll see if anyone locally is on it yet.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks to some help from user "hci" and a new tower setup he had which was experiencing the sync issue, I think we may have a fix in hand. It should be available in the 15.1.3 Beta coming up in the next couple weeks. I'm leaving a test load of software running on an AP that was experiencing the issue, and if all goes well, 15.1.3 Beta will have the fix. I will post back with more info as it becomes available. We appreciate everyone's patience on this.

Update: This fix appears stable over several days, where sync was occasionally lost but came back. We encourage anyone experiencing sync issues to be on the lookout for the 15.1.3 Beta in the next couple weeks.

6 Likes

I am opening this back from the dead. I’ve upgraded all of my 450i 900 APs at one site that was running 16.0.0.1 too the latest code. 16.2.3.1. I am getting the same message on both, this is only on 1 site. Running a PacketFlux and their GPS.

02/04/2021 : 13:16:16 UTC : Acquired sync pulse from Main/Power Port
02/04/2021 : 13:17:50 UTC : Lost sync pulse from Main/Power Port
02/04/2021 : 13:17:50 UTC : Acquired sync pulse from Timing Port (UGPS/cnPulse)

Anyone ever run into anything like this? I am thinking of ditching the packetflux and going all cambium as its been a real pain in the rear.

We have at least 15 other sites running similar setups and this is the only one having issues. Clear LOS for the GPS.

To be clear, you have 15 sites (with multiple sectors on a site) with no issues.

This particular site (with 2 AP sectors) shows these errors on both of the AP radios.

If these statements are correct, it would point to the GPS source, yes.

I found the issue, it is the Surge Suppressors (Cambium) that are causing the issues. I took them out and haven’t had a timing/sync timing issue at all since.

I am glad you found the issue. It is always highly recommended to operate with surge suppressors in place. Did you replace them with new devices?

It is possible that a near-miss lightning or surge event can damage surge suppressor devices (i.e. they did their job and saved the radio equipment they’re meant to protect), but continue operating. This may be the case here.

1 Like