Turn off RF on AP with SNMP

Is there a way to turn off RF on an AP with SNMP then turn it back on with SNMP without rebooting? I want to run a spectrum analysis on all my APs in a certain region and band in middle of night but I am finding that PMP450i and PMP450 non-i do not always run a spectrum analysis for same length of time even if the scan time is set the same.

Hello hci,

Wasn't able to find any OID that can shut off the transmitter power at-will.

For PMP 450 and PMP 450i APs the OID rfFreqCarrier (.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.1.2) is available. You can SNMP set it to 0 which is the same as setting "None" in the GUI. However it does require a reboot to take effect (OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.3.3.2 - Set to 1 for reboot).

This could be brought up as a future possible OID inclusion (subject to any unforseen hardware/software concerns) for customer test enhancement.

Best regards,
Neil

Also: You can run Spectrum Analyzer in continuous mode. Then turn it off when you are done.

1 Like

@NSJS wrote:

Also: You can run Spectrum Analyzer in continuous mode. Then turn it off when you are done.

The OID info is:

Name

spectrumAnalysisActionBox

OID

MIB

WHISP-BOX-MIBV2-MIB

Syntax

INTEGER {stopSpectrumAnalysis(0), startTimedSpectrumAnalysis(1), startContinuousSpectrumAnalysis(2), idleNoSpectrumAnalysis(3), idleCompleteSpectrumAnalysis(4), inProgressTimedSpectrumAnalysis(5), inProgressContinuousSpectrumAnalysis(6), notReady(7)}

So you can set it to 2 to start continious mode. And then set to 0 when you are done.

1 Like

Will this work on FSK and PMP450?  Setting to zero restores completely normal operation?  Sounds like a good solution.

What does countinous SA on AP tell SM's to do?  I beleive on timed they also all start SA at same time.  Allows me to later view there results as well as them not making noise while the AP SA is running.  I definitely do not want the SMs to start a countinous SA.

Another option I am thinking about now is doing a timed SA for 5 minutes but stopping them all at 3 minutes.  Gives the safety blanket of timer yet if something goes wrong.

Thanks!

@hci wrote:

Will this work on FSK and PMP450?  Setting to zero restores completely normal operation?  Sounds like a good solution.

What does countinous SA on AP tell SM's to do?  I beleive on timed they also all start SA at same time.  Allows me to later view there results as well as them not making noise while the AP SA is running.  I definitely do not want the SMs to start a countinous SA.

Yes, will work on PMP 100 as well as PMP 450 and yes, zero restores normal operation. 

With Continuous Spectrum Analysis mode started on an AP, the SMs will lose session and just start scanning as they are not aware about what the AP is doing. So will not be lost in Continuous Spectrum Analysis mode. :) 

Yup on Timed Sector Spectrum Analysis the AP tells all the SMs to run a SA the same time the AP does.

Is there a way with SNMP to push the "Set Min And Max To Full Scan" button on the spectrum analysis page?

Set the OID "spectrumAnalysisActionBox" (.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.3.2.221.0), to setToFullScan(8).

That will do it.

http://support.cambiumnetworks.com/framed/onlinetools/content.WHISP-BOX-MIBV2-MIB.html#spectrumAnalysisActionBox

8 sets full scan then?  Its just undocumented?

Thanks

The link you pointed to is not updated. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

Please refer to the latest WHISP-BOX-MIBV2-MIB.

spectrumAnalysisActionBox	OBJECT-TYPE
		SYNTAX		INTEGER {
					stopSpectrumAnalysis(0),
					startTimedSpectrumAnalysis(1),
					startContinuousSpectrumAnalysis(2),
					idleNoSpectrumAnalysis(3),
					idleCompleteSpectrumAnalysis(4),
					inProgressTimedSpectrumAnalysis(5),
					inProgressContinuousSpectrumAnalysis(6),
					notReady(7),
					setToFullScan(8)}
		MAX-ACCESS	read-write
		STATUS		current
		DESCRIPTION		
			"Start or stop timed or continuous Spectrum Analysis and also give status.
                            (0) - Stop Spectrum Analysis
                            (1) - Start Timed Spectrum Analysis
                            Note: AP/BHM will run Spectrum Analysis for the sector.                            
                            (2) - Start Continuous Spectrum Analysis
                            (3) - Idle, no Spectrum Analysis results.
                            (4) - Idle, Spectrum Analysis results available.
                            (5) - Timed or Remote Spectrum Analysis in progress.
                            (6) - Continuous Spectrum Analysis in progress.
                            Note: Continuous mode has a max of 24 hours.
                            (7) - Spectrum Analyzer not ready.
                            (8) - Set minimum and maximum frequencies to full scan."
		::={whispBoxConfig 221}
1 Like

@Balaji Grandhi wrote:

Set the OID "spectrumAnalysisActionBox" (.1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.3.2.221.0), to setToFullScan(8).

That will do it.

Is there any reason this will not work on a PMP450m?

Is there any reason this will not work on a PMP450m?

It should work on PMP450m. 

If it is not, could you please let me know the SW version PMP450m is currently running on.

Thanks,

Balaji

I have a script that tries to run the SA on all APs at given site or area simultanously in middle of night if we need to track down noise.  I do not get any results from the 450m AP.  There are a number of SNMP commands used in the script so I am unsure what is failing but all the PMP450i APs work fine.  The retrieved SpectrumAnalysis.xml from the 450m AP appears empty.

Does the SA sweep take longer on 450m then the 450i maybe?

Under identical Spectrum Analysis configuration, like frequency range being scanned, duration etc., both 450i and 450m take about the same amount of time to sweep the frequency range.

SNMP Get on "spectrumAnalysisActionBox" returns "4", when the Spectrum Analysis results are available.
Can you check the return value before you download the .xml file.