How to configure PMP450 VLAN tagging

By default, PMP450 operates in transparent mode. that means that traffic tagged or untagged, will be passed through the radio links.

To enable PMP450 to perform VLAN tagging, you need to first log on to the PMP450 AP to enable VLAN. It doesn't matter what configuration you put on the SM. IF the VLAN is NOT enabled on the PMP450 AP, then the radio links will operate in transparent state.

Here's the steps to enable VLAN tagging:

1. Enable VLAN on the AP

2. Configure the SM Default VID to anyhting other than the default "1" for example "20", this will cause the  untagged ingress traffic to the SM to be tagged with 20 when it is spit out of the AP.

3. For traffic that are already tagged, if you leave the Default "Dynamic Learning" as enabled, these traffic will be passed through the radio link unmodified. However, if you disable "Dynamic Learning", these traffic will be dropped, unless you add the particular VLAN in the VLAN memebership list.

1 Like

Hi
Does your number 2 explanation mean if i connect my laptop direct from SM then my laptop will receive vlan 20 ip address? (lets assume there is DHCP configured for vlan 20)
Thanks
shrijan

Hi
This section only intended to explain how VLAN works on the PMP450. It does not cover DHCP. Assuming that there is a DHCP server somewhere in the network that is on the same VLAN as e.g. 20. Then your computer should be able to perform DHCP request on VLAN 20 and get a DHCP response from the DHCP server with resides in VLAN 20.
Hope this help.

Yonghao.