Experience with PTP 450 3.65 in nLos situations.

I have a link between 2 towers that is being slowly erroded by trees. We were using Airfiber 5x on the link for over a year, but the link became unusable. Trees grow fast out here. 

We have switched to Airfiber 3x. But the signal on the AF jumps around from a -65 to -75. Usually, the link will sit around 50-100mb capacity, but sometimes the link will just crash and go to zero capacity. 

Has anyone used the PTP 450 3.65 in a Near LOS situation? If I can get a similiar signal as the AF 3x, do you think the link will be more stable? I am just looking for a stable 50mb downlink. We did try the AF2x, but that failed due to interference. I haven't tried any Cambium PTP equipment yet. 

Hi Elbow Wiham,
This is a Non Line of sight, and we have PTP 450i 900 MHz radio for particular situation. These radios are designed to work in location where there are trees which are obstructing the field and also if possible increase the antenna height.

Try the Cambium LINKPlanner software it will help give you an idea of what you might expect.

http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/software-tools/linkplanner/

The 450 900 MHz may be an option for you but it depends on but not limited to Distance of Path , Path Obstructions, Height of each radio, your Noise Floor and environmental conditions.

There may be other options for you as well from Cambium other than 900 MHz.

Just wanted to update this thread about this link. 

We can't use the 900mhz backhaul as we already have too much 900 in the air using 7mhz channels for clients. We wouldn't be able to push enough bandwidth with 7mhz channels so sync would not work either. 

But, the PTP450 365 is working great. The signal fluctuates from -63 to -73, but it stays up  and pushing at least 50mb, which is what we need. This saved our link!

It is dropping out about once every 2 days for about 10 seconds. The only message I get is an authentication error:

08/30/2016 : 13:11:22 HST : Event: SMSESRESET, MsgType: AUTHREKEY, NewState: OOSERVICE, Flag 0
08/30/2016 : 13:11:29 HST : Event: SMSESACTIVATE, NewState: REGISTERING, Flag 0
08/30/2016 : 13:11:29 HST : Event: SMSESFAIL, MsgType: SMREGGNTREJ, NewState: OOSERVICE, Flag 3
08/30/2016 : 13:11:34 HST : Event: SMSESACTIVATE, NewState: REGISTERING, Flag 0
08/30/2016 : 13:11:34 HST : Event: SMAUTHENMSG, NewState: REGISTERING, Flag 0
08/30/2016 : 13:11:34 HST : Event: SMSESINS, NewState: REGISTERED, Flag 22
08/30/2016 : 13:11:34 HST : Event: SMAUTHORMSG, NewState: REGISTERED, Flag 0

1 Like

Hi

A little info about your path would make this an interesting post.

Distance of Link:

Obstruction Height:

Obstruction Depth:

Height of Radios:

Noise Levels:

Stay Safe

@ElbowWilham wrote:

But, the PTP450 365 is working great. The signal fluctuates from -63 to -73, but it stays up  and pushing at least 50mb, which is what we need. This saved our link!

Can you make sure that on the Security Tab, you have 24 Hour Encryption Refresh feature DISABLED. Thanks!

Just saw this post, and yes, it was enabled. 

Thanks!!

So did disabling that solve your issue?

I'll report back in a week.