Human readable configuration files on PTP670 radios?

I love the fact that configuration files exported from epmp and PTP450 series radios are human readable JSON.  This means i can generate them with my own tools, etc.  Makes them much easier to work with.

When I export config from a PTP670, though, I get a non-human readable file that is either encrypted or binary.

Is there any way to export/import a human readable JSON config for PTP670 radios?

Thanks!

Hi abjornson,

The configuration on the PTP 670 is in .cfg format however I am not sure if we can have it in a readable JSON format. Let me track it by creating a ticket. May I have your email address so that I can create a ticket and work update you if we can convert it to any other format.

Regards,

G Krishnan

Hi,

The PTP 670 configuration file is encrypted, and it's true that you can't read it

It's a reasonable request to be able to read the file, and we have considered exporting the data in JSON format.

We have a bigger problem with configuration import. PTP 670 provides context-sensitive validation in the web-based interface to ensure that only valid configurations can be created. If we allow configuration without duplicating these checks, we will allow any number of invalid configurations to be created, resulting in unpredictable or undesirable consequences, including locking out an ODU for remote management.

I'm not making any promises, but if we were able to add this feature, which of the following options would work best for you?

1. Allow configuration import using JSON without validation, so that operators must check the new configuration carefully before loading it. This check could be by first entering the the same settings in the GUI to check that they are valid. Configuration errors would result in odd and unpredictable results. This approach works best with a small number of tried and trusted features.
  2. Validate the imported config file using the same rules that we have today in the web-based interface. Any errors would result in rejection of the config file. This is safe, but frustrating when files are repeatedly rejected.
  3. Create an offline tool to validate config files before they are imported. A careful operator would be able to check files, so that every file imported would be valid. A careless operator would still suffer unexpected results. It would be important to use the correct tool for the installed system release.

Mark

1 Like

Hi @mark thanks for the reply!  Ultimately I'd be happy with either scenario 1 or 2.  I think that scenario 2 (Validate the imported config file using the same rules that we have today in the web-based interface) sounds best and most similar to what happens on other products like the PTP450, epmp, etc.

@gokula - My email is andris@everylayer.com if you'd still like to open a support case to track

Was this ever resolved as I have a similiar request...

The situation is more or less unchanged. You have a sensible request, and we'd really like to provide a way to configure a PTP 670 via a human-readable file, but it's a fairly complicated development task to provide the necessary checking and validation. Configuration from a user-created file is not on the road map at the moment, but I hope we'll be able to add this in the future.

I have the same request too please - I realise it is complex to have the function work both ways but for us even just a readable dump (with a big disclaimer) of the config then allows backup tools to function and monitor config changes over time. It is not that important to be able to re-import because to be honest this takes only a few minutes if you have all the information at hand and it is not a task that is done often at all.

Thanks,