PTP 650 power supply AC + DC Power Injector

Hello everyone my name is Mauro and wanted to know why the the PTP650 manual says not to use the power supply PIDU Plus PTP300 / 500/600 series as they are very similar and the only difference I see is that the Power Injector AC + DC is 1.5A and PTP 300/500/600 PIDU PLUS IS 1.8A. someone could say that reason I should not use this last? Thank you regards

Hi Mauro,

That's an interesting question. As you observe, the two units are very similar. The main difference is that the AC + DC Enhanced Power Injector for PTP 650/700 has a higher output current rating (1.7 A) than the PIDU Plus (1.4 A). The higher output current is necessary to support the power-over-Ethernet output at the Aux Port of the PTP 650/700.

The reason you should not use the PIDU Plus with the PTP 650/700 is (a) it doesn't have sufficient output current capacity to support the auxilliary PoE output, and (b) EMC and safety approvals for PTP 650/700 are granted for a system using the AC + DC Enhanced Power Injector.

For anybody tempted to use the AC + DC Enahnced Power Injector with PTP 500/600, note that it does not have a Recovery button.

Mark

3 Likes

Thanks very attentive Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Does this mean also that using an AC Only PSU will not be able to provide the correct power for you to be able to use the AUX for 802.3at compliant devices like Axis PTZ cameras?

Thanks

Hi Gerry,

That's correct. The AC Power Injector does not generate enough DC power to supply the PoE output at the Aux Port. If you want to connect a camera at this port, you should use the AC + DC Enhanced Power Injector.

Mark

2 Likes

Does the PTP650 PIDU work with the PTP300/500?  aside from the recovery button missing, does it actually properly power the radios?  

Hi,

The design of the two PSUs is very similar. The main difference is that the AC + DC Enhanced Power Injector for PTP 650/700 has a higher output current rating (1.7 A) than the PIDU Plus (1.4 A). If you connect the AC + DC Enhanced Power Injector to a PTP 300/500 it will operate normally. As you say, the newer PSU doesn't have a Recovery button.

We don't recommend this combination because  EMC and safety approvals for PTP 300/500 are granted for a system using the PIDU Plus, but at least no damage will occur to the PIDU Plus or the PTP 300/500.

Mark

Hi there. My name is  Devon. Would it be possible to connect 2 PTP650 PIDU back to back with a crossover cable? I have a team in another town which are battling with this. Thank you

Hi Devon,

Back-to-back links between PIDUs are not normally successful, and you will probably need to provide a switch or router between the two PIDUs to regenerate the Ethernet signals.

The reason for this is that the PIDUs and LPUs provide loading on the Ethernet cable. Ethernet transceivers in switches and routers (and PTP 650) can normally operate over a connection with one PIDU and two LPUs. When you make a back-to-back connection, the Ethernet circuit has a total of four LPUs and two PIDUs.

Mark

Hello

Is there any aftermarket DC power supply we can use with PTP600 radios?

Whats the pinout distribution for the connectors?

Thank you

We're not aware of any alternative or aftermarket power over Ethernet injector that is compatible with PTP 600 radios. The PIDU is the only option as far as we know.

The power from the PTP 600 PIDU and the AC+DC Enhanced Power Injector is as follows:

Positive: RJ-45 pins 4/5 and 7/8

Negative: RJ-45 pins 1/2 and 3/6

The power from the PIDU or Power Injector is floating. It might be grounded on one side in the remaining part of your installation.