Home tower

First time I came acrossed this. I have a client that wants internet bad. He has no other options, currently has a dsl connection that barely gets 1mb . I tested my epmp over by him but can only get a -89 ehich no way I am connectiong that signal. Anyway looking to find a 50 to 60ft tower that can mount to the side of his garage. The garage roof peak is about 25 ft high. 

What frequency were you using with ePMP to get a signal of -89 and where were you testing from? I assume the peak of the roof at 25feet? The reason I ask, is if you used 5GHz gear... then you should seriously consider using a PTP650 w/2' dishes. Assuming that you're getting that -89 on a spot on their house, then I would bet money that a PTP650 w/2' dish would be able to provide him a stable, reliable service many times faster then his DSL. The other option is to use a PTP450i 900MHz w/17dBi yagi antennas. Assuming your noise floor isn't too bad, then this would be another great option to get this guy service without putting up a tower. Lastly, you could dip your foot into the LTE water and try something with 3.65. We're had really good luck with near/non-LOS shots and 3.65 LTE.

2 Likes

I only have epmp 2.4 in his direction at the time. I was using a 2.4 epmp 16dbi dish. I do have 450i 900 2 sectors unfortunately they are not pointed toward him because lack of clients in that area. so addeding tower equipment is not a option I want to take because of the return on investment. 

Hi,

A 50ft - 60ft tower is huge tower to drop on a residential property.  Even if it is next to the house with the potential to use a wall bracket, the brackets will most likely be at a very low height.  Of course if you wish to service other clients in that area then it will make practical sense.  That brings me to asking if you have tried to explore another potential solution to this problem by using LINKPlanner.

Have you used LINKPlanner to further evaluate that link?  I find it is usually spot on in terms of giving you an idea of what to expect in the field.  Especially if you don't do those serious stuff like adding some real world variables, such as trees, man-made obstructions, buildings and interference into LINKPLanner.   But it usually presents very good almost right 'out-of-the-box' type information.

In LINKPlanner, you can play with various antenna heights of the SM client and/or ePMP SM combinations to see what the best possible / max usable rates (and predicted signal levels) that can be achieved based on those two variables.  All doing this from the comfort of your office.  I know nothing beats the real world experience and perfect LOS.  But I have come to find that LINKPlanner does a very good job in theory that matches closely to what you typically get onsite.  Even if you were not to enter into LINKPlanner a number of variables/factors that may affect the link.  Which I tend to do.

We ourselves are looking to implement the ePMP 2.4 in 2018, so I have no actual experience with this ePMP series.  But we do have some sites that are not LOS good.  LINKPlanner has reported these sites as nLOS if we were to use an antenna height of 25ft.  Which is what we prefer to use in order to keep the installation simple.  Some sites already are online, but are using the Canopy PMP100 900Mhz series.   The AP has a 900MHz omni (horizontal) and clients are using 900MHz yagis (horizontal).   In LINKPlanner, we check to see how installing and converting these sites to an ePMP 2.4GHz or ePMP 5GHz will look.   I play with various height and CPE options.  In most cases, the ePMP 2.4GHz with a Force 200 really shows great results.  I'm even surprised that the basic ePMP 1000 2.4GHz Integrated SM can go so far and do so well.  Which gives us hope that once we move forward with the ePMP 2.4, that we may achieve some good results.

Try using LINKPlanner first.  It's a Cambium product and there is no cost to use it for the planning of your Wireless network infrastructure.

How is your ePMP 2.4GHz setup working and experience?  Are you only using Cambium equipment at the AP / Sectors?    Are you using GPS synch? 

I have been really looking hard at upgrading and migrating our Canopy PMP100 900Mhz sectors to the PMP 450i 900Mhz.   Have been looking at what persons are experiencing and hoping for a price drop at the same time.   How is your experience been so far?

Eric has offered some good options to look at using Cambium's PTP solutions.  Again, LINKPlanner should be able to give you a good idea on what to expect even before purchasing and installing.  I see one downside with dedicating a PTP solution to a client.  Colocation at your basestation / hub site.  You risk losing growth potential for your backhauls (if they're unlicensed PTP).

With refernce to purchasing a tower, I've even seen these for sale on Amazon.com, such as the Rohn 25G towers (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rohn+25g).   But most major Wireless Distributors will sell and may also offer pre-sales tower support  so that you can make the best decision on which tower may be best for your application.  If you need something below 50ft from the ground, then you can look at the ROHN 50ft telescopic mast (http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-telescoping-masts)  or EASY-UP telescopic masts (http://www.easyupinc.com/easyupinc/telescoping-masts).  Then others have constructed tilt-over telescopic masts.  You can build it yourself.  There are persons selling the building plans online (I think on Amazon and eBay).

With LINKPlanner, it may show that your SM antenna height may only need about 30ft. to achieve some good results and this will allow you to just install a tripod on the roof or 30-40ft wall bracketed telescopic masts.

Regards.

1 Like

this message is for you Eric, you mentioned in your reply to try using a yagi antenna with a 17dbi gain. I was wondering ifyou happen to know where I can get a yagi with that gain?  I am currently using the 12dbi gain antenna from Cambium and it works well but I can definitely see cases where a bit more power would be awesome! Thanks