Streaming Video over Wireless

What are your experiences with streaming video for residential or work-at-home customers? What access network eqipment do you use and what settings or configurations work best?

Issues affecting WISP streaming:

-AP / backhaul / tower capacity

-AP and backhaul $ per mbit of _sustained_ speed, especially compared to other wired residential CPEs

-most services try to start the stream at the burst rate, when the SM goes down to the sustained rate some services warn the user about ISP "issues". Training users to manually change speed/quality settings is the easiest solution in this case.

1 Like

What do you do to "train users" on burst rates and streaming video? I would guess that this may go over the head of some users. If you use a flyer or some explanation, could you share that?

Thanks

If you are reffering to their LAN we do not touch that unless they purcase a wi-fi router from us or pay for us to service their LAN. Generally our customers do not have problems streaming over their wi-fi router. If a customer calls in complaining of buffering we have the customer plug one of their devices directly into the POE. We will then have them watch a video on it and that always makes it "click" that it is thier LAN that is causing the problem. 

1 Like

What are your experiences with streaming video for residential or work-at-home customers? What access network eqipment do you use and what settings or configurat

asad

If streaming video seems like an important requirement at installation, I usually advise that our customers can usually stream on one device at a time, sometimes 2. I make sure they know this and if they can't live with streaming on one device, our service may not be for them. Netflix seems to have a better time of it, as their video quality scales automatically with connection speed. I have rarely recommended changing video quality settings. I only do that if the customer seems pretty compitent with computer operation in general.

1 Like

I personally wouldnt look at streaming over wireless - though i think some subdivision build outs in the ubiquiti forums have made use of multicast streaming.

In our market, you need to be selling at least 15mbits of internet speed, and once you put 10 streaming channels through an AP you have lost all your bandwidth so it isnt going to work.

I'm using HLS streams in the wireless network. HLS can handle latency, jitter, even outages correctly.

IMHO unless you are sending to all (or almost all) customer the same stream, multicast is a waste on the wireless bandwidth.

Regards

Antonio