Aloha everyone

I'm new to these devices and am an IT Director and was thinking of deploying some of these devices YAGI antenn with some ptp or to multi point.  

I've not moved into it only because I have an ISP in the middle of an area of Hawaii on the Big Island and it just suCKKs that they cannot get my connection more stable.  It drops the internet as much as it rains and then of course when it does really rain it doesn't effect it at all.  Gets a bit better sometimes.

I don't understand a lot of the lingo in regards to looking at the  general status page of the cambium device but I have a screen print and was wondering if anyone could explain where its looking a bit faulty.  Of what I looked at it looks okay as far as signal strenth ratio. Then Session status stays pretty much at 8x/4x mimo-b sometimes quickly jumping to 8x/6x mimo-b for a sec or two, I was told by a cambium guy that you would want that to show as high or higher.

I'm sure something on this screen print has to indicate or stand out?  Any idears?

I'm beginning my Cambium College soon but hoping I can get some feedback on what I can provide.  Mahalo.

Hey meohmiur! Welcome to the Cambium Forums! First off, this question would best be posed in the PMP450 section of the forum. In the future, try posting in the relevant areas so people can help you better. On to your questions...

So is this link going through a ton of trees? I see it's reporting it as .7 miles with a signal of -72, which, if it was LOS, is a really poor signal. Something is causing a lot of attenuation.

So a few things... 

1. Update to 15.1.2 software release on the AP and the SM's

2. Turn off AES, and just use DES. Unless you're the US military then don't use AES

3. Are you using GPS sync and that's the reason why you're using a 7mhz channel width? If you're not syncing with legacy Canopy, then try to do something to increase the signal to this client and then try increasing the channel width to 10mhz or 15mhz

4. Try using a 17dBi or 14dBi KP perfomance yagi antenna on the client

5. Look at the AP and see if you're having re-reg issues... lots of re-regs indicates that your RF session is dropping, either because of really poor signal or interference. This can sometimes be resolved by changing channels or channel width, and/or increasing SnR by using higher gain antennas

Thank Eric.  This is cool info and gives me  a strategy to look into these devices.  This is my ISP's setup for wireless and there are a lot of trees here where the antenna is pointing through.

I just figured if I could just point out some problems that I can get my isp to resolve after I read more about your "few things".

I use to complain that I don't think it is helping with Yagi Antenna shooting accross the roof, so had him move it, they did but then wife told him it wasn't helping and now its pointing thru some trees.  I mentioned to ISP that you have to be missing something but he got to the point of well I think we just can't service you and wanted to just remove me as a customer.  I gave up trying to get them to get the setup more stable.  Satellite is my only other choice.

I'm going to study up this weekend on your valuable information you gave me.  Mahalo for your time and expertise.

I'm sure its interference as the main cause.   

BTW would the ethernet cable being 30 or more feet away from POE give attenuation?  I read a little on that and it said I should have as short as possible a cable from antenna.

@meohmiur wrote:

Thank Eric.  This is cool info and gives me  a strategy to look into these devices.  This is my ISP's setup for wireless and there are a lot of trees here where the antenna is pointing through.

I just figured if I could just point out some problems that I can get my isp to resolve after I read more about your "few things".

You may want to tread lightly when giving advice to your ISP on what to troubleshoot. Some ISP's and people do not take kindly to being told how to troubleshoot, run or make changes to their networks.

@meohmiur wrote:

I use to complain that I don't think it is helping with Yagi Antenna shooting accross the roof, so had him move it, they did but then wife told him it wasn't helping and now its pointing thru some trees.  I mentioned to ISP that you have to be missing something but he got to the point of well I think we just can't service you and wanted to just remove me as a customer.  I gave up trying to get them to get the setup more stable.  Satellite is my only other choice.

I'd approach your ISP and explain the issues you're having and explain that you're willing to throw down some money, beers, whatever it would take to schedule some time for a seasoned tech to come out and look at your system. You can usually get a reasonable WISP to help you out if your patient, understanding and generous. If satellite is your only other option, you will need to be extremely diplomatic if you don't want to be disconnected from their system as there's no competition.

@meohmiur wrote:

BTW would the ethernet cable being 30 or more feet away from POE give attenuation?  I read a little on that and it said I should have as short as possible a cable from antenna.

No, a distance of 30 feet is just fine for an ethernet cable (PoE to the radio). Check to make sure the PoE data port is connected to your router or computer at 100mbps FDX thought.

What you want to avoid is attenuation at the antenna or between the antenna and the radio. In basic terms, attenuation is something that reduces or blocks a signal. In regards to digital radio equipment, you typically want as small a jumper as possible between the radio and the antenna. As to your attentuation and what I was talking about, this would be probably caused by large number of trees in between the ISP's transmitter and your client radio. While I don't have enough information and it would be really handy to see your re-reg numbers at the AP, the SnR you have is good, and doesn't indicate that you're having a noise problem (at least not in the moment you took that screen shot). It would be interesting to see if your modulation drops and your SnR gets worse at certain times of the day.. which could explain your drops.

900Mhz can be very tricky but there are things that YOU can do without having your ISP come visit you. Simply spending a day temporarily moving the antenna/radio to different spots on your roof or property to try to find a better signal. It will probably be easiest to have someone help you with this, like your wife, that reads off the signal to you as you try different locations. In regards to the signal, lower numbers are better (e.g a -65dBm signal is BETTER then a -75dBm signal). Sometimes with 900mhz, higher isn't better, sometimes shooting through the tree trunks at the bottom of the trees is better then shooting through the leafy canopy. Lastly, you could buy yourself a larger yagi antenna and attach it to the client radio yourself, it's very easy to install. You should let your ISP know you're doing that however as they might get mad if you change antennas on their equipment... they really shouldn't care as it's saving them a trip and the cost of antenna, but yeah, let them know anyway.

Thanks all aspects of your reply make a lot of sense.

Its funny that I did get my isp's attention to the point of him just saying:

"We are getting you the best service we can for your location.   We double checked all of the frequencies again.  If this does not clear up on it's own, you will need to find another internet provider.   Mahalo for understanding, 

Dan"  may29th.

Not my intention but I obviously thought he was more of a Professional (those that complete jobs with best results, not just good enough)

I will watch my step with the ISP.

Attached a picture looks like it going between some trees to the roof of next block or so?  These are acres lots around here .  

I'm thinking I could probably attach to a longer pole and extend it up higher above the trees and angel a bit.  Atleast worth a try.

cambium model says 9092chh

Ahhh lots of metal roof... that's not good. Metal reflects RF and does strange things to it. Try moving the antenna to the far end of the roof so it's at least not shooting over your metal roof. I'd also strongly suggest that you get the KP 17.5dBi yagi... it will make a huge difference. Only problem is that they sell them in packs of 5... so you'll have to shell out some dough. This would be another thing to work with your ISP on... e.g... "hey ISP, I'm gonna order this 5 pack of antennas, and install one on my radio, is this cool? Would you be interested in purchasing the other 4?"