Configuring cnPilot R using cnMaestro

If you deploy cnPilot R devices, we are interested to understand which parameters must be set uniquely for each customer.   See the list below.  Is anything missing?

Most of the device configuration will be identical from customer to customer.  But a few paramters will be different and we would like to know what paramters you set differently for each customer.  

For example, each device will have a different device name, IP configuraiton (IP, gateway, dns, etc).  We know often times the WLAN SSID and password are uniquely set.  Additionally, we know the following paramters are set uniquely if using SIP or PPPoE.

Is there any other paramter missing that should be in this list?

Thanks.

For each SSID

• WLAN SSID
  • SSID Password

SIP (cnPilot R only)

FXS1:

• Display name
  • Phone number
  • Account
  • Password

FXS2:

• Display name
  • Phone number
  • Account
  • Password

PPPoE 

Note: Only relevant if the AP Group has “WAN IP Mode” set to “PPPoE”.

• PPPoE Account
  • PPPoE Password
  • Confirm Password
  • Service Name (Leave empty to auto-detect)

seems to be ok.

please add:

- custom local ip subnet

- custom NAT

thanks,

Michele Pietravalle

Hopefuly this get implemented soon. It would be great for our phone staff to be easily able to make changes in cnMasestro. Not sure if its implied but under the wireless you should allow the configuration of channel and channel width along with SSID and password. Some of our clients need 40mhz or wider channels when using the R201P other may only need 20mhz channels.

1 Like

Fld Wrls,

It was not implied..... so thanks for taking the time identify these additional paramters and clarify this use-case here.

1 Like

cnMaestro currently does support selecting device-specific channels for the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz radios.  These options can be found in the device level Configuration tab under the "Device Overrides (Advanced)" section.

Thank you for letting us know about about adding support for channel width as well.  If you need this immediately, it is possible to do using User-Defined Overrides.

This guide can assist in setting up User-Defined Overrides.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnMaestro/Unique-per-device-values-in-Profiles-using-User-defined/m-p/63560#M45

For each SSID we will also be including WLAN Enable for cnPilot E only as an Override.

Current procedure:

Login to device and update - this should be easy to do in batches over night to avoid spending more time at the install.  Still need batch scheduled upgrading!

AP Group global config:
*change multiple SSID to include 64 on the first SSID and none for the other 3
*20 mhz channels

Unique override per customer:
*SSID
*PSK

Maybe just being able to do the lan IP range and DHCP and some basic firewall rules would be usefull.

Any idea how far we are from having this or a basic version of this working?

Needing to make a product decision soon, and this will make a big difference, as I quite like the CNpoints

Kind regards

@Edrich wrote:

Any idea how far we are from having this or a basic version of this working?

Needing to make a product decision soon, and this will make a big difference, as I quite like the CNpoints

Kind regards

@Edrich, all of the above can be done now using custom variables, it sounds like they are just looking to smooth out / improve the process. If you are looking to make a decision, it is fair to say all of the above can be done now.

1 Like

Additional variables I use or would change on a per-customer basis:

• TX Power (I default to 40 in the R-Series routers, and increase it if a customer has range issues, or decrease it in apartment buildings)
  • Basic / Normal User Password (Admin is already there, but it would be good to give out custom passwords when a user needs access)
  • Enable / Disable SIP 1 and 2 (I debated whether to have separate templates for 0, 1, or 2 phone lines. I decided to have one for 0 phone lines, and one for 1 or 2 phone lines. I use a custom variable for enabling and disabling the 2nd line.)

It could also be good to have a custom override option. For example, if a customer has a very unique situation, you might just want to write a manual override for a couple variables, rather than changing an entire template just for a one-off situation.

1 Like

We run the devices in bridge mode and our default template has the following settings

Lan IP

WAN IP

SSID

WPA2 KEY

Line1A

Line1B

Line1C

(the line number needs to be entered into three fields to work correctly) 

Line1 Password

Sipserver

Wifi Channel

TX Power

admin gui password

Dear Emilio;

What is the maximum power that can be configured in the template of the cnMaestro, since in (View Device Configuration) it shows TxPower = 100. This is the maximum power? Is that value expressed in dBm?

regards

@cowper wrote:

Dear Emilio;

What is the maximum power that can be configured in the template of the cnMaestro, since in (View Device Configuration) it shows TxPower = 100. This is the maximum power? Is that value expressed in dBm?

regards

TxPower is configured as a "percentage". Setting it to 100 is setting it to maximum power. I am very interested to know how it relates to actual power. A setting of 100 is 14 dBm. I'm not sure if a setting of "50" is 3 dB down, or something else, though.

1 Like

After I wrote, I realized that the 100 can not be dBm. It was a logic error. I will perform the test and I will comment, if 50% are 3dBm down

2 Likes

How about the hostname? 

It would be nice to be able to send just a couple of lines of configuration from cnMaestro, without overwriting the existing configuration on the router.

Hi ,

Starting cnMaestro 2.3.0 release users can set the cnPilot R series devices hostname from the configuration page itself. The release is tentaviely planned for mid of october .

Thanks,

KR.

For deploying a massive fixed wireless network, is there anyway to assign specific SSIDs and Passwords to multiple routers (up to 1000) without having to touch each router individually? I used excel to generate random passwords for predetermined SSIDs and would like to import that into cnMaestro so when the router is installed it automatically pulls configuration. This is important because I will be printing Labels with SSID and Password that we will stick to the router.

Hi BruceMcCall,
Yes, you can make use of below Macros, by using these, the SSID will be appended by ESN of the device and password will be MSN of the device.

SSID1=${SSID1=Test1_2.4G_%{ESN}}
WPAPSK1=${SSID1_PASSWORD=%{MSN}}
RTDEV_SSID1=${5G_SSSID1=Test2_5G_%{ESN}}
RTDEV_WPAPSK1=${5G_SSID1_PASSWORD=%{MSN}}

These can be configured from Configuration > WLANs and AP Groups > AP Group > User-Defined Overrides (Advanced) (or) Configuration > Templates > Create a new template with above macros.
I hope this will help you out.

Are MSN and ESN the only MACROs that are supported? Maestro says to click the help link but gives an XML error. Can you please provide a list of all available macros?

Yes, MSN and ESN are the only macros that are currently supported.

Thanks for letting us know about the Help link issue. We will get this fixed. Until then, below is the correct link.
https://docs.cloud.cambiumnetworks.com/help/3.0.0/index.htm