MCS Quality measurement

Hi, I suppose this is a feature request.  We are an ISP but find many customer issues are due to poor WIFI signals.  It would be nice if cnMaestro would show you MCS values in addition to power levels.

Furthermore it would be nice to be able to track power and MCS values over time for a given MAC address.  I could even see a report or email being generated similar in concept to what banks do to confirm that you made a withdrawal at an ATM, to let the customer that they had a poor WIFI signal at 8PM yesterday.

Anything that can help to shine a light on client WIFI signals would be great.

Hi,

Not sure whether MCS index value can be directly related to the wifi performance.MCS rates can change all the time, packet to packet. This is an expected behaviour.MCS rate is not the detemining factor for the performace.A device can have highest MCS rate and can perform poorly.

I'll take this request and talk with Wifi experts and will get back to you regarding the feasibility of this request.

Regards

Anand

I'll defer to your technical knowledge on the metric to use but some kind of long term trend of an individiual WIFI client connection's signal quality would be really helpful.  I'm sure it gets to be a lot of data to track.  We run the NOC version of cnMaestro if that makes any difference.

1 Like

Also when the client device is no longer connected, say when they leave the home and go to work, you have no insights into a previous power level.

1 Like

We have taken the request of showing the MCS average value from cnMaestro in the future release.

This stats would be granular to filter with client MAC address.

Currently MCS rate is shown in the AP CLI command "show wireless clients statistics" 

Regards

Anand