cnMaestro 1.6.1 Release

Introduction

This document highlights new features and significant updates in cnMaestro 1.6.1 Cloud and On-Premises.

Important

cnMaestro 1.6.1 On-Premises is distributed as an OVA file which requires installation on a separate virtual machine. Existing cnMaestro On-Premises users should export their data and import it into cnMaestro 1.6.1. Data exported from cnMaestro 1.5.0, 1.5.1, and 1.6.0 is supported.

The basic steps are defined in the User Guide and consist of:

1.      Export Data from current cnMaestro Installation at Application > Server > Operations.

2.      Import Data file into the new cnMaestro 1.6.1 installation at Application > Server > Operations.

Important: Wi-Fi Configuration

If the Proxy RADIUS through cnMaestro feature is already enabled in WLAN policies, then after importing data into cnMaestro 1.6.1, please ensure the RADIUS Proxy checkbox is enabled under the Advanced Features section in the Application > Settings page.

If you were using WiFiPerf Test in previous versions, please enable WiFiPerf Daemon, available under the Advanced Features section in the Application > Settings page.

Important: Web Browser

You may need to restart your browser (or clear the browser cache with a hard reload) after the 1.6.1 update.

Note: Memory

The default, minimum RAM for a cnMaestro installation has been increased from 2 GB to 4 GB.

Updated Linux Kernel

The Linux kernel has been updated with the latest Spectre and Meltdown patches.

Export/Import Support for AP Group and WLANs

Export/import WLANs and AP Groups from one server to another. WLANs referenced in an AP Group should be imported first.

Association ACL

Allow or Deny Wireless Clients or Mesh Peers based upon MAC address. This feature is available under Configuration > Association ACL, and it presents a global list that can be shared with multiple WLAN policies.

To enable this feature, MAC Authentication should be set to “cnMaestro” in the WLAN Policy under Configuration > Access Control.

System Backups as a Job

System Backups are now created as a Job and executed in the background. This addresses an export timeout issue in large deployments. System Backup Jobs are managed at Application > Jobs > System Backups.

Administrator RADIUS Authentication (On-Premises) Pro.png

cnMaestro On-Premises Administrators can now be authenticated by an external RADIUS server (in addition to Local Database, TACACS+, and Active Directory). RADIUS Groups are directly mapped to cnMaestro Roles.

Clients Session Report (On-Premises) Pro.png

Generate a Client Session Report over last 24 hours that is downloaded as a CSV file. It is located at Report > Clients.

Link Test for PMP Devices

Link Test is added for PMP devices under Tools > Link Test page.

Miscellaneous Improvements

Update

Description

Wi-Fi Configuration Sync

If Wi-Fi APs are offline during configuration update job, they are automatically synced on next reconnect.

Data Reports with Export Now Option

Data Reports with Export Now option are handled as a Job at Application > Jobs > Reports. This addresses issues with long-running data exports.

“Learn more” links for contextual help

Added “Learn more” links to selected pages for contextual access to the User Guide.

Supported Cambium Products

cnMaestro supports the following Cambium Networks products. The software versions are the minimum required to use cnMaestro (not the recommended versions).

Model

Version

cnPilot R200, R200P

4.2.3-R4

cnPilot R201, R201P

4.2.3-R4

cnPilot R190V,  R190W

4.3.2-R4

cnPilot E400/E500

2.5.2-r3

cnPilot E410/E430w/E600

3.5.2-R4

cnPilot E501S

3.2.1-r6

cnPilot E502S

3.2.1-r6

ePMP 1000 Hotspot

2.5.2-r3

ePMP 1000, Force 180/200

ePMP 2000

ePMP Elevate

ePMP Force 190

PMP 450i, PMP 450, PMP 450m, PMP 430 SM

PTP 450, and PTP 450i

Supported Browsers

cnMaestro supports the following browsers:

Browser

Version

Windows Internet Explorer

11 and above

Windows Firefox

45 and above

Windows Chrome

49 and above

MacOS Safari

9 and above

Linux Firefox

45 and above

Linux Chrome

49 and above

Significant Fixed Issues

The following issues have been fixed in cnMaestro 1.6.1:

Id

Details

CNSSNG-7565

Do not automatically set DNS servers if device is in DHCP mode.

CNSSNG-6952

Wireless Client Count mismatch between Dashboard and Clients tab.

CNSSNG-7235

Device dashboard of cnPilot R device shows “Not in Sync” when there is no AP Group applied on the device, or the AP Group is removed from the device.

CNSSNG-6550

PMP 430 SM is not showing UL Modulation in Dashboard, but the Performance graph shows the weekly data.

CNSSNG-6890

Multiple issues with PMP 430 SM Dashboard statistics and graphs in cnMaestro build 1.6.1-b12.

CNSSNG-6984

Tree does not auto-refresh when device moved from one Network/Site to another.

CNSSNG-7521

Add the Description field to Subscriber Module Details and AP Details widgets in the Dashboard.

CNSSNG-7500

Navigating to Device Software page should load version by type.

CNSSNG-6962

Access and Backhaul account type is created even though Wireless LAN account type is selected.

CNSSNG-6936

In AP Group, there is no field to configure HTTP and HTTPS port numbers in Management section.

CNSSNG-6532

In WLAN page for cnPilot R, unable to edit and save the WPA field and password.

CNSSNG-6526

Set Location in Device Onboarding does not work.

CNSSNG-4078

ePMP AP Retransmission graph for hourly data shows only downlink details, but not uplink.

CNSSNG-5397

Unable to change the Mesh Client WLAN profile once a Mesh Client profile is already mapped.

CNSSNG-7334

GPS Version Check alarm missing latest valid version.

Significant RESTful API Fixed Issues

The following issues have been fixed in the RESTful APIs:

Id

Details

CNSSNG-7544

Add missing radio attributes from /performance API to /statistics API.

CNSSNG-7543

Empty performance records are showing in Performance data.

CNSSNG-7502

The "fields" filter not working with Performance data.

CNSSNG-7489

Issues with "fields" filter in Alarms REST APIs.

CNSSNG-7487

Issues with "fields" filter in Devices REST APIs.

CNSSNG-7486

Showing incorrect values for dl / ul modulation in Performance Data.

CNSSNG-7458

Add default sort on "_id" for all APIs, to make result return deterministic.

CNSSNG-7243

Events API (/api/v1/events) is giving more than 100 events when limit is more than 100.

CNSSNG-7240

Empty message for Events in fields filter.

CNSSNG-7062

Round off "radio.24Ghz.clients" and "radio.5Ghz.clients" to integer in /api/v1/devices/performance API.

CNSSNG-7049

Add "id" to the /api/v1/events/ response.

Known Issues

The following issues exist in the cnMaestro On-Premises 1.6.1 release:

Id

Issue

Details

AURA-470

Failure to load success page after quick pay authentication

AURA-474

Error contacting server when clicked on Orange Money button

AURA-388

WiFi Guest Access Does Not Work with Microsoft Edge Browser

Guest Access on cnMaestro does not work with Edge browser on cnPilot 1.4.0-r12 with 3.2.1-6 and 1.5.0-r4 with 3.3 beta builds.

Workaround: Users need to use supported browsers like Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer (IE) 11.

CNSSNG-4083

DHCP Errors after cnMaestro Reboot

When cnMaestro On-Premises is rebooted, after Data Import, sometimes DHCP and Disk Errors are encountered.

Workaround: Explicitly run the dhclient command from the Command Line (accessed through the CLI) after reboot to assign the IP address.

RBN-280

DHCP Option 15 Not Working for cnPilot R

DHCP Option 15 onboarding is not working for cnPilot R devices. These devices cannot use this onboarding mechanism.

CNSSNG-4906

Captive Portal Auto Login Fails with Latest Android Devices

Workaround: Whitelist the URL for Google (*.google.com).

CNSSNG-5365

RADIUS Proxy Drops Packets after Retry Exhausted

After RADIUS Proxy Retries are exhausted in cnMaestro On-Premises, all subsequent RADIUS packets are dropped.

Workaround: Reboot cnMaestro.

CNSSNG-6789

Device details are not coming in configuration jobs for old jobs in 1.4.0 after migrating to 1.6.0

CNSSNG-7626

Access token is getting expired after data migration

Workaround: User has to generate a new token after the migration.

Where to Get Help

There are a number of places to get help with cnMaestro.

1. Cambium Community: The cnMaestro Forum provides the best place to ask questions and get up-to-date information.
  1. On-Premises Quick Start Guide: This guide walks you through the initial management process and allows you to get onboarded quickly. It is embedded into the cnMaestro image and can be accessed on the Home Page of the UI. It can also be downloaded in PDF format from the Cambium Support website.
  1. Cambium Support: The Cambium Support team is available 24x7 to answer questions and resolve issues.
3 Likes

I imported this release into virtual-box. Set it up same way as 1.6.0 but it just sits on Ubuntu 14.04 . . . .  I've rebooted it a few times and still have same issue... I can leave it there for over an hour and it will still be loading...

I think the Spectre/Meltdown patch must have slowed this thing to a crawl.

PID  USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
3790 shhh   20 0  4708192 942736 832324 S 239.9 3.5 34:05.23 VirtualBox

239% CPU load....

After awhile I gave up. Reloaded 1.6.0 back onto it and pushed backup and back to normal.

Hi Rynet -- is the issue you are unable to load the image into VirtualBox and start it? I just downloaded and installed it on my laptop using VirtualBox, and I was able to launch and log in fairly easily with the default settings. Else, is the issue you installed it, but are unable to import your previous environment and get it working? If that is the case, can you please let us know what your VM configuration is, and what device count you are managing? It would also be helpful to know the breakdown of device types.

After I imported the appliance .ova it would just sit on the screen saying ubuntu . . . and eat up cpu cycles.

Didnt even get as far as to set its IP or log in to GUI to import backup.

Hi Rynet -- I am still not seeing the issue on startup or reboot. I am using Virtual Box 5.2.8 r121009 (so the latest). [I am editing the second half of this message, because there was an error in my initial reply.] The issue may be a side effect of an increase in base memory from 2048 MB (which is what it has been since inception) to 4096 MB. This was bumped up, because additional features and database updates have caused RAM use to increase in the base system, which was leading to issues in some smaller customer environments. I will update the Release Notes to be clear on this later today. Could this be a possible issue with your environment?

Waiting for the "Clearing Major Alarms" feature

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/cnMaestro-Clear-Major-Alarms/idi-p/82738

VLAN ID in RestfulApi has been implemented?

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/cnMaestro-Insert-quot-Default-Port-VID-quot-in-RestfulAPI/idi-p/83932

First - Don't forget to make this a "Pinned" thread.

Second - cnMaestro on-premises

SM "Session Time" not being read from the device.

ST.PNG

Same SM

ST2.PNG

2 Likes

Hi Luis,

We verified session time for both ePMP/PMP SMs in our lab setup and it seems to be working fine. Could you please email tech support file from problematic SM to me - ajay.singh@cambiumnetworks.com for further investigation.

Thanks,

Ajay

edit_______________

I obviously didn't read your whole reply.  Just the part where you "verified" the problem.  Also I thought the two kudos meant they also had the problem.

Edit #2 ____________

My vanity got me!!!

I didn't even read your reply - I was wondering how the heck I misread it so bad.  I saw the message indicator and it took me to the "Kudos" page and I replied from there.

This is what I ment by percolate. 

I was hoping these obvious things would be caught by those using the cloud version.  I know they update it on the fly while the on-premises updates are a bit slower.  I know this is rev 10 where the cloud is 9 so maybe it was something introduced in that update.

I'm still seeing a problem with UTC -vs- Local time in statistics and graphing data.  Also data missing altogether,  Uplink RSSI and Uplink RSSI Imbalance comes to mind.

I'll report them in detail later.  

Also, thanks for adding the description field to the AP and SM widgets and all the team's work in making cnMaestro a better and more useful tool.

@Cambium_Ajay wrote:

Hi Luis,

We verified session time for both ePMP/PMP SMs in our lab setup and it seems to be working fine. Could you please email tech support file from problematic SM to me - ajay.singh@cambiumnetworks.com for further investigation.

Thanks,

Ajay

It's not just one SM, its all.  Did you verify by doing an export, update and import of cnMaestro or on a clean run?  Though I don't see why that would make a difference if it's a live read.  Having said that, I didn't think to add this fact as the times don't correlate with the update time.  

Okay. Indeed, this is strage that all SMs are reporting incorrect session time in cnMaestro. We validated on a running system and not really with data export and import. Looks very unlikely that data export/imprt will cause this issue as we read session time from PMP SMs itself. Anyway we will validate this scenario as well and let you know.

-Ajay

@Cambium_Ajay wrote:

Okay. Indeed, this is strage that all SMs are reporting incorrect session time in cnMaestro. We validated on a running system and not really with data export and import. Looks very unlikely that data export/imprt will cause this issue as we read session time from PMP SMs itself. Anyway we will validate this scenario as well and let you know.

-Ajay

Supposed to, anyway.  It may not be the read that's wrong, it's probably just the display.  I remember reading a thread about incorrect display of a time field on a report export, but can't remember which.  It wasn't even formatted correctly if I remember.  It was in seconds UTC, I believe.  I'll have to take a look.

I know the session time display was wrong, then corrected and now wrong again.  I just don't remember which rev corrected the display.  I'll look for this also.  

Edit____________

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnMaestro/Problem-with-export/m-p/84458#M3084

After running for two days - no correct cnMaestro session time display for any of the SMs.

Rebooted an SM to see what would happen.  Here's the result.

ST Reboot.PNGST Reboot2.PNG

Now the read is correct - Where the disconnect is before the reboot, I don't know.  I do know I'm not going to reboot the entire network just to get cnMaestro to display the data correctly.  I'll take this opportunity to ask about the arrival of PMP 15.2.

Before you tell me you couldn't duplicate the error:

Run an instance of cnMaestro on-premises 1.6.0 r22

Onboard SM (I'm using 450 vanilla), prefferably one that's been up for a while and don't turn it off til the end

Let it run long enough for cnMaestro to collect session time data

Verify session time between the two

Export cnMaestro data

Install cnMaestro 1.6.1 r10

Import data

Let SM run long enough to update cnMaestro with new session time

Verify session time - this is when I see the discrepancy

If you were able to duplicate, which you should be able to

reboot SM and wait for session time to update

Verify session time - times should now be the same

Well?

I upgraded Virtual Box from 5.1 to 5.2.8 and it fixed the issue. The issue is that with the new Linux Kernel in Ubuntu and probably other releases is that using VT-x/AMD-V without a Nested Paging file causes virtual machines to crash.

This is an issue with older processors. As they cannot do a Nested Paging File correctly. But in 5.2.8 this has been fixed.

2 Likes

Hi Rynet -- glad you were able to figure it out and get it working. We will update our User Guide for Virtual Box versioning.

1 Like

Thankfully, this all was not needed and we could find the root cause. So in short, there was an issue in the software, wherein we weren’t parsing the day part of the session time string received from PMP SM device. So any PMP SM device which is running for more than 24 hours will have incorrect session time in cnMaestro. We have prioritized the fix and same will be available in upcoming release – 1.6.2, tentatively scheduled for release by 16-March. Hope this explains the current issue.

-Ajay

2 Likes

@Cambium_Ajay wrote:

... We have prioritized the fix and same will be available in upcoming release – 1.6.2, tentatively scheduled for release by 16-March. Hope this explains the current issue.

-Ajay

This is great.

Thanks!

On that note...

3/6 - I set up two reports to run on a daily basis - "Performance" and "Events".  I also ran them as "Now" reports to get that day's data.

The "Now" reports ran without issues.

3/7 - Both scheduled reports ran and the data was as I had expected.  Super!  I wanted to modify the times the reports would run, but once a scheduled report runs, it can't be modified as the "Edit" icon is disabled.  No problem I guess, I just deleted the two jobs and set them up anew.  Checked to make sure they were set up in "Jobs" and there they were.  While there, I noticed the job "ID" didn't reset.  The "Software Update" job "ID" resets, so maybe a standardization problem here.

3/8 - Alas, the reports either didn't run or they retrieved the same data as the day before.  There's no way to tell as there's no run counter or any other indication like a date on the report or the "Job" dashboard.  When I set the jobs up, I noticed one of the criteria is "End By" not "End On".  If the program gets to pick when to quit, then I guess it's working just fine. ;)

I set both reports to export daily, one starting 3/7 at 09:00 and ending by 12/31 at 10:00  the other one starting 3/7 at 09:05 and ending by 12/31 at 11:15.

I haven't tried running after x occurrances.

If I set a daily job and come back after several days - a weekend, I'm expecting there will be three different reports waiting to be downloaded - Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Am I wrong in this expectation?  How will subsequent reports be handled?  Do they just append each other?  As I type this, I'm remembering that I haven't read the new user guide.  My apologies if it's referenced there.

Also, "System/Statistics" doesn't export the "Status" time.

At a minimum, the "Status" time" should be exported in the "Status" cell.  It would be better, IMHO, if both the MAC address and "Status" time were in their own cells.

None of the reports export the "Session Time", don't remember about the "Status" time.

Thanks again.

Adding a post instead of editing.

The program must have known that I was reporting it's misbehavior!  The jobs ran while I was typing the post.  If you notice on the snapshot of the "Jobs" page, I ran a "Now" job (#7) at 09:45 when I found the reports had not run.  Oh well!

I was able to export them both by direct "Download" and by downloding from the "History" page, thus answering the question about how subsequent reports are handled.  I guess the last report run will be available by direct "Download"  from the "Jobs" page.

Thanks again