E430W first impressions

I recently got my hands on the E430W and just wanted to share my findings with everyone.

For those not aware the E430W is the latest access point in the cnPilot series, its a wall mounted access point designed for the hospitality market.

From a Wi-Fi perspective it's quite similar to the E410. Both are 2x2 Wave 2 access points, both offer similar software features (meshing and 802.11r for example) and both have the same controller options.

But the E430W has a few extra tricks up its sleeve. When unboxing you can't miss the extra Ethernet ports at the bottom of the device. Port number 4 is PoE out which could be useful to power say a VoIP phone. There is a passthrough port as well and the Ethernet 1 port is on the back of the device.

It's also worth noting that you can jumper the Ethernet 1 port and the passthrough port on the back of the device to make the passthrough port of the bottom of the device your Ethernet 1 port. Cambium include a small cable for this which is a nice touch.

You have the option of powering via a DC adaptor (not included). I wonder if you can use both PoE in and the DC adaptor as a redundant power setup?

I've included images of both sets of Ethernet ports, as well as the jumper cable Cambium provide.

The E430 also has a BLE radio, I understand a software update will be released in a few months to enable more functionality around this.

In terms of Wi-Fi coverage, I was a little confused by the propagation of the RF, the spec sheet states that an omni directional antenna is used, but the Eakhau files show that the RF signal seems to be directional (Azimuth pattern in 5.15GHz shown below from Eakhau files).

I wonder if anyone from Cambium is able to confirm if either an omni direction or a directional antenna is used?

I did some very basic testing comparing the received signal strength of the E430W with the E410, the 2.4GHz antenna is smaller than the E410’s and signal was a little less powerful, but overall coverage was still good. More importantly the 5GHz antenna is larger and of a similar size to the E410's and I was very impressed with the 5GHz coverage, it was right up there with the E410 which I didn't expect. I've seen some vendors put smaller antennas in similar devices and it throttles the coverage, but with this device the coverage was good.

Lastly in terms of deployment it's obvious to see that this will work well for many Hotels and similar venues but I can see other use cases for this product as well.

For example, you could mesh from one AP to another AP and then provide an Ethernet connection to say a wired printer. In my country (England) we have many protected buildings where by law your simply not allowed to start drilling holes for cable runs. Or sometimes getting a cable to some locations is just not feasible, this could be a quick and easy solution.

The BLE radio will open a whole new range of possibilities and I'm sure there are many more environments where the E430W will be useful as well.

Overall, I think this is a well-designed product that I'm pleased to have it in the cnPilot portfolio.

11 Likes

Thanks for the review. The product team will be responding to  your specific questions soon.

1 Like

the e430W is a power-packed device as you noted with numerous features in a small package. You can connect to a dc power source with the 48V/1.1A dc power adapter accessory as well as plug into a PSE device for PoE, but it will default to use the dc supply, but this would give it a dual power source in case one drops. 

As for the antenna coverage you are right that it does say Omnidirectional, but the pattern is not quite Omni in the true sense. It will cover behind the device, but not quite as good as in front. The antennas are mounted internally on the side edges and top-edge (for BT). THe range as you said is quite good due to the maximum TX output being aboe 20dBm and receiver sensitivity being quite good. BT/BLE is v4.1 so supports lots of features and once opened-up via a FW image update will give you a number of possibilities. 

there a a number of mounting options (single-gang, dual-gang, standard wall bracket, and desk top) to choose from and many powering options (802.3at PSE or 802.3af with PoE out disabled, 30W/56V passive gigabit PoE injector, and 48V/1.1A dc adapter). You can also purchase the Ethernet jumper cables as an accessory (10 pack). If you wanted to power the device via PoE you can do that thru the PoE IN port on the back or jumper the two back ports and power thru the pass-thru port on the bottom edge. 

5 Likes

also note that there is a Kensington slot lock on the side for securing the unit if you like and when mounting you can lock with a Torx security type screw on teh bottom edge for added security.

3 Likes

Can you post a photo of one of your installations? High res would be great.

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed response Jim.

That’s good news regarding dual power source, always good to have an option for redundancy.

1 Like

the pattern shown does not seems correct. I am checking on this. It should look more like attached 2D patterns. Will look into this and update asap.

Hi Ray, I haven’t really installed it anywhere yet, its currently been sat on my desk while I’ve been testing the device but once I physically mount it somewhere I’ll post photos for you.

1 Like

thank you.

Hi Jim,

Those antenna patterns look much more like omnidirectional antennas.

Just for your information here is the link where I found the E430W Eakhau files: https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/e410/

Hi,

could you tell me what real world speeds you got out of it at 2.4 an 5 GHz with a wall or two between the client and access point ?

That would be very nice.

(I‘m planning a small deployment where they had to cover a kind of bigger space and here they are not available yet so I can’t test it the next time)

1 Like

Hi,

Yes of course, would be happy to help.

I placed the AP in one room and then moved my client (a 1x1 802.11ac smartphone) two rooms down (so 2 walls in between the client and AP). The walls themselves are reasonably thick and dense so dB loss is noticeable.

The AP was set to 18 dBm on the 5GHz frequency and 15 dBm on the 2.4Ghz frequency.

Firstly the speed whilst in the same room at the AP was 30mbps (which is the speed I was getting from my ISP at the time).

Once moved two rooms away I was received around -70dBm on the 2.4Ghz frequency and 16.8mbps actual throughput. With the 5Ghz frequency I was receiving -78dBm and 16.9mbps actual throughput.

While of course there are a lot of variables to consider such as wall materials and room sizes I hope this gives you some indication and helps with your deployment. Good luck!

4 Likes

Is the desk mount and dual plate available yet?

I have not been able to find part numbers or priceing for these.

Thanks

Hi and thanks a lot.

So do I get it right that we are talking about massive walls ? So no drywall ?

And thanks again you really helped me !

Yes I believe the wall materials are a cement type material (similar to breeze blocks).

yes you can order them. part numbers are here:

PL-DUWLGNGA-WW (dual gang wall bracket)

PL-DTSTANDA-WW (desk mount bracket)

I will need to find where you can order from and post. 

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delay, here is a photo as requested.

Just in case you wanted to know it being used as a mesh AP and is delivering data to a desktop PC and data/power to a VoIP in my home office.

6 Likes

Hi.

Does anyone else have more photos about instalations? It would be great to see this product in action.

Thanks.

Anze

Jim,

I'm unable to locate these part numbers anywere in any of your literature or from any distributor.  Have those part numbers changed?

Thanks,

Jason Petrillo

I see it avaialble here:

https://www.smartwifishop.ca/product/desk-stand-for-e430-series-ap/