Make Roaming In Office with E400

Hi,
I have router and 2 E400

Need create one LAN for office.

So I put each E400 in different places and connect via wire to router.

Router has DHCP network 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (With own IP 192.168.1.1)
E400 - 1 has static IP( based on MAC) 192.168.1.2
E400 - 2 has static IP( based on MAC) 192.168.1.3

Both AP has same settings except
Hostname
Wireless ridio channel (E400 - 1 has 1 on 2GHz and 36 on 5GHz, E400 - 2 has 6 on 2GHz and 48 on 5GHz)

But when I transfer device from one AP to another ping drop 3 - 4 packet.

Both AP in the same network 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

Wireles wlan has same name and password

Also roaming is enabled:

fast-roaming okc

fast-roaming 802.11r

fast-roaming 802.11r reassociation-timeout 20

band both

band-steer normal

Also i have question - How I can make acces from devices on AP1 to devices on AP2?

(For example printers is availeble only for devices on the same AP)

Hi Sindar, 

Can you please download and email tech support file of both the AP's to :  ashok.kumar@cambiumnetworks.com 

You can download techsupport file from following location 

Operations --> System--> Download tech support

1) Devices form AP2 on VLAN 20 (WiFi - WORK with 192.168.2.1 and DHCP 192.168.2.2-254) can't access

the device (in my case it is Printer with static IP 192.168.2.100) on AP1 on VLAN 20 (WiFi - WORK with 192.168.2.1 and DHCP 192.168.2.2-254) . What setting I need change for working fine?

2) When device transfer from AP1 to AP2 - what IP it will get (Same as on prev AP or new)?

If the same - what about situation When device on AP1 get IP ..2.10 and another device on AP2 got same IP.

After Device transfer to another AP - IP used.

3) About roaming fail - I'll try on another device and if issue present - will send you techsupport file.

Hi Sindar,

Below is the idle 802.11r roaming/OKC setup and configuration

1) Configuration on AP's in the network should be same

2) Access points should be in same VLAN / Network

3) If you are using external DHCP server then clients will retain the same IP address after roaming to new AP

4) It is not recommended to use internal DHCP server(DHCP server configured on AP)

5) All clients doesn't support 802.11r roaming, so please enable OKC based roaming if you are using 11r not supported clients

Thanks, 

Ashok Kumar

So If I need few VLAN (Work guest etc)

I need buy head router with VLAN support and make DHCP and VLAN settings on it, not on E400 AP?

Hi,

What type of router do you have? You can run dhcp server on one of the ap.

The set up should be below if you want multiple Vlan support. Below is the set up if you need routing between two separate vlans

router(gateway ip for Vlan 10,20)- trunk------switch (manage switch which supports mutiple vlan)--------ap1(running dhcp server)                                                             |-----------------------------------------------------------ap2                                                                        

1) Configure L3 interfaces for those VLANs that you want. Suppose  Vlans are 10, 20 , 30

2) Configure dhcp  pool for those VLANs on ap1. keep gateway in those pool as router ip. 

3) Configure eth1 as trunk port and allow VLANs 

4) Configure trunk port in switch and allow VLANs there as well. 

5) Connect your router to the switch.

If you have L2/L3 switch then you don't need any separate router .You can configure your switch to do intervlan routing.

1 Like

Thank you, now it's ok with external DHCP.

I have connect devices to cnMaestro.

Create AP Groups an WiFi template.

How I can manage different AP name or different channels for different AP  in Group Template?

I can put custom values in User Difined Overrides but I can't found if-else logic in documentation

for example

{%if %{MSN} == 'SOME_SERIAL_NUMBER' %}

hostname = MYHOSTNAME

{% endif %}

Hi Sindar, 

Group template configuration will not change the AP name.

Ex:- Before group template config push AP name was "E400-001122" after config push also AP retains the same name. 

If you want to assign different name for different AP's you have a option to do that, below are the steps to change AP name from CnMaestro

1)  Goto CnMaestro and select the device 

2) Click On Configuration and change the AP name under "Device Details" and do "Apply Configuration" to take configuration effect.

1 Like
Getting disconnection for client (34-36-3B-5C-08-16)

Client [34-36-3B-5C-08-16] connected to wireless lan [...]
Mar 2 16:28:17 Info WIFI-CLIENT-DISCONNECT-INFO Client [34-36-3B-5C-08-16] disconnect-info [client-sent-deauth-frame-8-rssi-39]
Mar 2 16:28:17 Info WIFI-CLIENT-DISCONNECTED Client [34-36-3B-5C-08-16] disconnected from WLAN [...], after [4603] secs and used txbytes [0] rxbytes [0] avgtx [8]

logs was send to email ashok.kumar@cambiumnetworks.com

Hi Sindar, 

Thanks for sharing the logs. From the logs i can see many clients are connected to this AP and client(34-36-3B-5C-08-16) is disconnected due to Inactivity timer,by default inactivity timer is 1800sec means when there is no any data from the client for 1800sec the AP will sent the deauth. 

Thanks, 

Ashok Kumar

Hi Ashok,

inactivity timer was on default value - 1800 sec = 30 min

BUT as you can see disconnect message was disconnected from WLAN [...], after [4603] secs

so:

• why AP disconnect client only after 4603 sec instead 1800
  • in that time client works with google docs - so it wasn't network inactivity

(for info client was MacBook Air)

Ashok, pls give me link where i can read about Band Steering realization in E400

because I don't understand what mean option

• Low
  • Normal
  • Aggressive

What radio preffered?

I have walls on Radio path - and 5GHz has low SNR, but 2.4GHz getting normal SNR - but with Normal Band Steering - Client do not recconnected to 2.4GHz

Can I manualy set SNR for recconnection from 5GHz to 2.4GHz (like in Enhanced Roaming)

Hi Sindar, 

As i mentioned in earlier if AP receives single data packet from client then timer starts from that point.

In your case client stopped sending data transfer after some time(roughly after 2800sec) from this instance counter starts again

(or)

In another way AP received last data packet from this client at 2800sec after that it didn't received any packet so AP disconnected the client by sending inactivity event.

Thanks, 

Ashok 

Hi Sindar, 

Check this link will give you an idea about bandsteering

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnPilot-E-Series-Enterprise-APs/Configuring-Band-Steering-on-cnPilot-E-series-Device/m-p/52985#M22

Low              : Attempt steering towards 5GHz, but allow clients on 2.4GHz sooner

Normal         : Attempt steering towards 5GHz, but allow clients on 2.4GHz after a few attempts

Aggressive   : Aggressively attempt steering towards 5GHz, delaying new 2.4GHz associations longer

Thanks, 

Ashok Kumar