cnPilot e600. Is a Server required to manage it?

I'm betting there is a simple answer to this..

This might be complely overkill, but I'm considering putting a cnPilot e600 in my home.

I'm hoping this is the last access point I'll need for quite a few years to come. (i typically hate wifi.... everything that can be wired is.... maybe this AP will change my mind..)

I did conisdered the 410 but why not go with the extra range... I also considered the Unifi HD but I think the 610 has the edge on it... any opinions...?

My question is how to manage/configure it.  I'm not clear about the software options.

I don't want to have to have a full time server stood up for 1 (possibly 2) access points.

I wasn't clear if there is windows based client I can install and managing it from my home desktop.

I'm familar with vm's so I could install a linux based vm server... but I don't want to leave the machine on.

Any help to clarify before I purchase would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wardy

@chrispward wrote:

I'm betting there is a simple answer to this..

This might be complely overkill, but I'm considering putting a cnPilot e600 in my home.

I'm hoping this is the last access point I'll need for quite a few years to come. (i typically hate wifi.... everything that can be wired is.... maybe this AP will change my mind..)

I did conisdered the 410 but why not go with the extra range... I also considered the Unifi HD but I think the 610 has the edge on it... any opinions...?

My question is how to manage/configure it.  I'm not clear about the software options.

I don't want to have to have a full time server stood up for 1 (possibly 2) access points.

I wasn't clear if there is windows based client I can install and managing it from my home desktop.

I'm familar with vm's so I could install a linux based vm server... but I don't want to leave the machine on.

Any help to clarify before I purchase would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wardy

The AP can be managed standalone by itself: it has a fully functional GUI accessible over HTTP/HTTPS, as well as a CLI over telnet/ssh.

Or, it can be managed through our cnMaestro controller/network-manager. If using cnMaestro you can either use the free cloud version at cloud.cambiumnetworks.com, or if you wish do a local VM install you can download an OVA image from our support site and run that on your server and manage the APs from there.

Connectivity to cnMaestro is needed only for management or if you are using some cnMaestro service like the built-in captive portal, vouchers etc. Otherwise the AP can function even if connectivity to cnMaestro is down (or if setup standalone using its GUI, without ever connecting to cnMaestro)

4 Likes

thanks

I thought there was a simple solution!