Missing 5GHz Channels on the E400

I would like to know why when i have my country code selected as NZ i still dont have access to all the NZ 5GHz channels on the radio.

It seems as if the AP follows the European set of channels for the radio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B17.5D
where as there are a lot of other countries that allow use use of other channels ie channel 42 for instance.

Attached is a screen shot of my access point, it is set to New Zealand as its country code and those are the only chanels avaliable.

Also attached is a PDF from the NZ regulatory authority for the use of the radio spectrum and shows all the channels that they allow.

IMO this is something that needs to be updated in future firmware updates for the device.

Jason

2 Likes

@jasonrowe wrote:

I would like to know why when i have my country code selected as NZ i still dont have access to all the NZ 5GHz channels on the radio.

It seems as if the AP follows the European set of channels for the radio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B17.5D
where as there are a lot of other countries that allow use use of other channels ie channel 42 for instance.

Attached is a screen shot of my access point, it is set to New Zealand as its country code and those are the only chanels avaliable.

Also attached is a PDF from the NZ regulatory authority for the use of the radio spectrum and shows all the channels that they allow.

IMO this is something that needs to be updated in future firmware updates for the device.

Jason

Note that channels such as 38, 42 etc ARE supported on the E400. those channel numbers are sometimes used to indicate 40MHz  and 80MHz mode of operation. On the E400 we indicate the same channel numbers by a combination of channel and the operating width.

Looking at channel numbers at different 802.11 widths 20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHz:

channel 38 is basically the frequency spanning channels 36 and 40.

In this mode the data frames for clients capable of 40MHz will span the complete 40MHz, while management packets (such as 802.11 beacons) would use one of the two channels as its primary channel: 36 or 40: the administrator gets to choose between 36 and 40.

So two ways or representing channel 38, where channel 40 is the primary channel, are:

1. Channel 40, extension channel 36

2. Channel 40, Width 40.

On the E400 we use option 2.

Similarly channel 42 would be 'channel 36, width 80Mhz'.

1 Like