cnPilot R200P wireless issues

Hi,

We have recently received a cnPilot R200P when signing up to a new ISP. We seem to be having a couple of issues & I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions to fix these.

1. We are on a 30/5 internet plan & standing in the office where the router is located I can get 30 Mbps down & 10 Mbps up via speedtest.net. If I walk 10 feet out of the office door into an open room, wireless speeds drop down to 10-15 Mbps. Wireless range seems to be a little poor so is there anything I can do to improve this?

2. We have 3 apple devices (2 iphones and an ipad)runing ios9, a number of android devices (smart TV, phones, media player) and 5 PC connected wirelessly to the router. When wireless is enabled on the iphone 6 it causes the router to stop responding and eventually disconnects all wireless devices. The router UI is non responsive when this happens.

We took the phone to Apple and they tested it, did a full reinstall of ios9 and said there was nothing wrong with it. The phone still causes this problem ans I have no ideas what is going on. The other Apple devices do not cause the issue. There seems to be various forums around the internet where iphone owners have this problem, but no solutions that seem to actually work. We didn't have this problem with our previous TP-Link modem/router.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks Brian

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Please share the config file and the firmware version and please take following capture and share with us.

Following is the method to capture packets:

Administration -> Diagnosis->Select Tracking Interface as the SSID where clients are connecting and Press Start button , run the performance tests mentioned for point 1 and 2.

For Apple connectivity issue where router stops responding , please capture the wireless packets mentioned above and please login to Telnet and take following captures and share with us for debugging:

On Telnet Shell prompt please configure "iwpriv set ra0 Debug=3"
Try connecting the Apple client and then capture following logs:
cat /proc/kmsg > /tmp/kmsg - can you go to /tmp folder and can do tftp fot kmsg txt file.

Hi,

Firmware version is 4.0 R-2. For some reason the forum will not allow me to attach a file. As for doing the other things your request:

1. Administration -> Diagnosis->Select Tracking Interface as the SSID where clients are connecting and Press Start button , run the performance tests mentioned for point 1 and 2.

These options are not available for me. I have ping test or traceroute only. No start buttons.

I have limited IT knowledge so the rest of your instructions mean very little to me.

Thanks Brian

@chandrasharma wrote:

Hi Brian,

Please share the config file and the firmware version and please take following capture and share with us.

Following is the method to capture packets:

Administration -> Diagnosis->Select Tracking Interface as the SSID where clients are connecting and Press Start button , run the performance tests mentioned for point 1 and 2.

For Apple connectivity issue where router stops responding , please capture the wireless packets mentioned above and please login to Telnet and take following captures and share with us for debugging:

On Telnet Shell prompt please configure "iwpriv set ra0 Debug=3"
Try connecting the Apple client and then capture following logs:
cat /proc/kmsg > /tmp/kmsg - can you go to /tmp folder and can do tftp fot kmsg txt file.

Can you send the config file to solutions@cambiumnetworks.com?

Thanks

Hi.

I have the same/similar issues. While using a simple tplink router it seems to work fine.

Very interested to know issues and solutions.

OC

Hi Brian,

In 4.0-R2 you can do a packet capture from following menu:

Administration -> Management -> Packet Trace , Tracking Interface as your SSID from the drop down menu.

We are also working on this issue and we will test same scenarios and will do necessary fix if required in our firmware for the issues you have mentioned.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Chandrasharma,

Sorry but I cannot capture the logs you need. We have tried a couple of times & this is what happens.

1. Wifi is turned off on the phone.

2. I log into router interface & start packet trace for our wifi SSID

3. Turn wifi on the iphone 6

4. The internet speeds gradually slow & the router user interface stops responding. I cannot select stop or save to capture the file.

5. The router stops responding & stays like this until the phone is turned off.

6. The router resyncs but the packet trace settings revert back to default.

7. The only option is to start packet trace again. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks    Brian

Hi Brian,

Are you accessing routers web page by LAN IP or WAN IP ?

I tried same scenario in my lab with cnPilot-R200 , firmware - 4.0-R2 and iPhone 6 with iOS version 9.1 and have not yet seen any issue.I have 3 clients already connected and then i am connecting iPhone 6 and everything is working fine.

Brian can you please share your email id with me , i would like to further work on this issue and provide you a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks for your feedback.

We have also seen wierd wireless problems out of these units at different homes.  One time I was sitting 5ft away from the R200P connected wirelessly and latency and speeds were just terrible but hardwired was fine.  I took the router to my home and it acted fine.  The common thread we are seeing is that houses with older wiring (like knob and tube without ground) seem to have more of these issues.  Also, had issues with Windows 10 PC's connecting but newest firmware fixes that problem.  Just thought I'd pass on what we are seeing.  

Hi Chandrasharma,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am connecting via wireless to the router. I will attempt using ethernet. We have 2 other apple devices (iphone 6s & ipad both on ios9) that work fine & do not cause this issue. The vaious threads I have read on the internt indicate that it can be caused by one apple device while others are fine.

We are going to do a factory reset on the iphone this weekend & not restore it from backup to see if it causes the issue still. My daughter works most nights so I may not get a chance to respond to you for a day or two. You should be able to get my email adress from the email I sent in with the router config file attached.

Just for your interest here are a few other threads with people experiencing the same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2wd8o9/wifi_crashes_home_network_iphone_5s_ios_813/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6568382?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2404672?start=0&tstart=0

I will get back to you shortly. Many thanks

Ok, so I set up our old TP link W8960N as a wireless AP running off Ethernet from the Cambium router & set up a wireless SSID on this. The iphone 6 connects to this with no problems, disconnects or slow downs affecting the rest of the network.

We have been out for most of today & my daughter is working tonight so will hopefully get a chance to factory reset the phone tomorrow & do some further testing & try to capture some logs.

I have an R200P at home. It's in the utility room in the basement. Not the most optimal location, but I haven't noticed any wireless speed issues. I can get about 35x10 (SM limit) unless I'm at the far end of the house where my signal is pretty weak, about -75dBm.

1 Like

The signal is allot stronger by a long shot around the house with the Cambium as opposed to the TP-Link. The issue seems to be with throughput at various random times which can be dependant on distance from the router.

For example, I have an android phone & my desk is located about 20 feet away from the router through 1 door which is opened 90% of the time. I can run a speed test on my phone and get anywahere from 5Mbps to 30 Mbps. If I do a speed test & get anything under 20Mbps, if I then immediatly move into the office where the router is & run it again I get almost 30Mbps which is my max speed.

1 Like

Hi Chandrasharma,

As suggested I have connected to the router via ethernet & attempted to do a packet trace. The router again locks up & resets itself & there is no option to save the logs. As a result I have captured the packet trace up to a point when the iphone is connected for about 10-15 seconds & then saved that info. Is there an email address I can send the trace too? I have also sent you my email address via PM. Can you confirm that you have receive this?

Thanks Brian

Problem solved for now. Will use old router as wireless AP and have ordered a new router from another manufacturer.

Hi,

Following on from my previous posts. I have been using my TP Link modem router as an AP connected to the Cambium R200P. I have been connecting all devices wirelessly to the Cambium with the exception of my PC. I decided to tidy things up and remove the TP link from use however now I find I get annoying lag spikes in games when the family is watching Netflix.

I connected the TP link up again and connect to is as an AP via the Cambium I get no lag spikes with the family watching netflix. When connected via the Cambium approximately every 10 seconds the ping will go from 50 ms to 200-300 ms.

I really want to tidy the office up a bit and remove the second router so is there a way to avoid these annoying ping spikes? It seems the Cambium cannot handle running netflix & providing low latency for gaming at the same time.

I am not a tech so I have absolutely no idea how to set up the QOS on the Cambium and just want something that works.

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, We have noted the issue and are working to reporduce the issue and fix it.

Hi,

My ISP has given me a loan 201P to trial to see if this fixes the wirelss connectivity issues. I have only put it in this afternoon but initial testing seems to show a great improvement. Wireless speeds are almost up to the max using 2.4ghz for my connection (40 down/20 up) and no apparent spikes. 5ghz performance is spot on. I am able to test for a week and if things work out fine I will keep the 201P.

If I may make a suggestion, if the Cambium brand of devices is designed for home & small office use the manual needs more info on how to set up features like QOS. Almost like a "Cambium setup for dummies" manual.It would be great of you could select a MAC address for connected devices and allocate a set amount of up & down bandwidth to share the load.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for feedabck, We will provide more detailed information in user manual as per your feedback.