AP Repeat; zero means nothing or means no repeat?

Question about the Acces Point Repeat parameters, specifically the broadcast setting.  Does a zero mean that broadcast messages are blocked completely or does it mean they are sent once but NOT REPEATED?  A SCADA equipment vendor said their devices, which we connect with radios in bridge mode, are not seeing broadcast traffic between their devices.  We increased the broadcast repeat parameter from zero to two and they report the problem is solved.  I want to know if they were missing (some) broadcasts sent with repeat=0 and but repeat=2 makes sure they get them.  Or if repeat=0 was blocking them completely.

Check out THIS post on how the broadcast repeat function works.

1 Like

Thanks Eric! However, Paul was asking about the N500 (cnReach) AP but its similar to the 450. 

Paul, 

In short AP Repeat of zero means the packet is transmitted once. It appears that in your scenario it needs 3 tries before it gets through. 

I'm also going to quote the User Guide as its self explanatory but let me know if you have questions:

"Access Point Repeat sets the maximum number of times the Access Point will repeat a transmit packet in the absence of an acknowledgement from the remote unit. This is only applicable for a Point-to-Multi-Point network. 

If set to 3 the Access Point will repeat a packet up to three times unless the remote unit acknowledges receipt at which time the Access Point will move to the next packet. 

The default setting is 0. 

Broadcast 

Broadcast defines the AP Repeat for Broadcast traffic. 

Addressed 

Addressed defines the AP Repeat for Addressed traffic. "

Thanks,

Sriram

OH thanks Sri.. this new forum layout has me confused, I didn't even notice I was responding to a cnReach post...

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

OH thanks Sri.. this new forum layout has me confused, I didn't even notice I was responding to a cnReach post...

Oh, that's not good. If its confusing regulars, then Ray's got some work to do.

I did RTFM. Thanks for for the very prompt reply.  The mystery is why the SCADA equipment vendor is so sure no broadcast messages get through when repeat=0 and that broadcast messages do get through with repeat=2.