Anyone used Ubnt EdgeSwitch for PoE

I've used UBNT Toughswitches for a long time and am done with them. I'm moving to Netonix for all future installations.  Much better switch, more options, features and seem more reliable. Plus, tech support on them is superior.  

1 Like

@Au Wireless wrote:

I've used UBNT Toughswitches for a long time and am done with them. I'm moving to Netonix for all future installations.  Much better switch, more options, features and seem more reliable. Plus, tech support on them is superior.  

Ditto for us... we use Netonix entirely now.

When using Netonix for GPS enable ePmp are you setting the ports to 24HV for 48V??

Either 24v or 48v but NOT 24VH.  24VH supplies power on all 4 pairs, which the GPS radios may be ok with but I'm not sure.  The standard ePMP connectorized would be toasted with 24VH.  24VH was intended for the UBNT AF-X radios.

1 Like

So is it confirmed that the Netonix: 12-Port Managed PoE Switch 250W will power the C058900A112A - Cambium ePMP 1000 5GHz Connectorized Radio with GPS Sync without changing the cable pairs?  Running standard T568B   OR will the UBNT EdgeSwitch do the trick?  Also want to eliminate the POE injectors at the base of the tower. 

Both the Netonix (any model) and the UBNT edgeswitch will work fine to power the Cambium C058900A112A with standard 48v.  No cable pair swapping needed.

The following work and I have them out in the field with this radio:

Netonix: 24v (short cable runs), 48v.

UBNT Edgeswitch POE: 24v, 48v.

UBNT Edgepoint/ER-X POE: 24v.

The one thing you need to keep in mind if using one of the UBNT EP-6 or ER-X is that you need a minimum of 23v going into the router/switch in order to get enough voltage for the Cambium AP to power up.  22v or lower feeding the switch will result in the radio not powering up.  Also - no more than 25v going into the ER-X/EP-6 or you will let the magic smoke out.

1 Like

Netonix: 24v (short cable runs), 48v. when you say short runs how short? and you are using standard T568B? 

I've had no problem with 40~50' at 24 volts, I don't have any need to further than that though.  The  1000 sync radio isn't terribly power hungry so I suspect it would be fine at 100+ feet, maybe way more, so long as a minimum of 24v it going into the cable and your power supply is capable of .5 A.

All standard T568B cabling.  I

We didn't have any trouble with the GPS Snyc 1000 at 24v, until it got cold.  If you are somewhere that it gets cold enough for the onboard heater in the 1000 to kick on then 24v may be a problem.

We power every one of our 1000 GPS APs with a Netonix and use standard Ethernet crimping (no changes to pair order). This is true for both the 10 SM "lite" SKU and the unlimited SM SKU for the syncronized radio.

We also use the 48v setting in the Netonix regardless of the cable length and have had no problems. That is also the recommended voltage setting according to Netonix for either the 1000 GPS AP or the 2000 AP.  We've had no issues.

If you power a Force 200 or Force 180, use 24v on the Netonix with standard cabling.

If you power an older connectorized 1000 NON-GPS capable radio, this is when you need to make pair changes on one end of the cable and use 24v power.  We did fry one Netonix port by not creating a special cable for this radio.  Now, we avoid powering that type of radio with a Netonix...

1 Like

Bringing back an older thread. After troubleshooting some Netonix DC swithc issues, I am wanting to give a Ubiquiti EP-S16 tower switch a try. Not bailing on Netonix but I need another vendor for testing.

We are wanting to power two ePMP 2000 APs and one ePMP 1000 (GPS) AP.  The S16 has 4 54v POE outputs that should work?

The specs from UBNT are:

(4) 54V or 24V /1.4A, 4-Pair (+1, 2, 4, 5; -3, 6, 7, 8) Passive PoE, Ports 1 to 4
(12) 802.3af/at or 24V/0.7A, 2-Pair (+4, 5; -7, 8) Passive PoE, Ports 5 to 16

The 54v pinout is exactly opposite as Cambium - as we know. But there is discussion that on the 2000 and GPS 1000 radios, this does not matter. But, I'm not really wanting to fry a 2000 AP testing this.

Is there an authoritative answer on using a EP-S16 with a synced ePMP radio??

1 Like

The 2000s can use AT power. I wouldn’t try and use the high current on anything that doesn’t specifically need it like air fibers.

So you'd power them at 24v?  Cable runs are going to be ~3 feet.

At power is 48v not 24

Did you find any solution to feed Cambium from the EP-S16? for example ePMP 3000. If possible, without frying the equipment?

Ubnt's EP-S16 will power ePMP 2000/3000 natively using AT on ports 5 -16 (ports 1-4 are 4 pair POE for airfiber devices). We currently have 7 sites doing exactly that. Older F300-25's are reversed polarity, but can be powered by swapping the blue and brown pairs on one end of your cable and selecting 24v.

1 Like

We are in Saskatchewan, Canada using 24v at 150ft+ cable lengths in -30C no problems. Though we are using a battery direct power system that allows the radio to pull more current than what the Cambium injectors allow for.

Two pairs of 24AWG pure copper wire is capable of providing up to 3A, 30VDC (90w) at 20C(68F) without cause for alarm. If the ambient temperatures are around 0C (32F) then the cable is capable of carrying up to 4A with short durations ( 30seconds or less) of 5A ispossible. If you use stranded cable instead you gain aproximately 25% more capacity at tempterature over solid core, but that expense is not really worth it. It is all about being able to disapate the heat generated in the wire. If you move to 802.3af/at you double the current paths and thus double the capacity at a given temperature.

In the change configuration in ePMP 3000 it indicates that the equipment voltage It is 54 volts, currently I have it connected to a RGBPOE, but connected directly to the batteries, in a 48 volt solar system.

Are you sure the epmp 3000 can operate at 24 volts?

You have had experience connecting the ePMP3000 to the EPS16, what has been your experience?

Choose POE+ from the dropdown and make sure you are utilizing 1.8.2 for firmware on the switch. 1.9 series introduced an issue that prevented these from powering on. 

ePMP 3000 radios support 44 - 59V for input and are POE+ capatable at 48v.

image of port config attached