Ask the Experts – ePMP March 25

Paul,

Sync will help as the Tx/Rx cycle will be sychronized and you will not have AP transmissions interfering with other APs listening and SM transmissions interfering with other SMs listening.

When we run a 360 site with four sectors in an ABAB frequency reuse configuration, you can space the frequencies of A and B 5 MHz apart. This gives interference protection both from the AP antenna pattern degrading communcation to SMs in other sectors since it is not pointing to it, and you have protection from the mask of the radio.  These items together provide enough CINR so that the highest MCS' can be realized.

For your use case the APs are all pointed in the same direction.  This causes you to lose the interference protection with the antenna, but not the mask.  So you need to have increased frequency separation between your APs so that the appropriate CINR can be realized.

Here is what I would try.  Start the spatial separation at 1 meter between two APs.  Start the frequency separation twochannels apart (e.g. 20  MHz channel might have one channel at 5840 and another at 5800). Start with two APs and two SMs and have them working in PTP mode with bidirectional throughput completely loaded.   Then see how the performance is.  You can then bring them closer or further apart in channel spacing based on your test results.

In other words, I think this should work.

Dan

1 Like

That is what I am saying - Few things to point out

When vendors have their own WiFi solution, it is often optimized. Therefore an ePMP AP working in WiFi mode may not give you the same performance as your current non ePMP gear working in WiFi mode and talking to the same brand of devices. This will likely be true for longer distances.

I would strongly encourage you to experiment this with some links first. Bottom line, yes, via CLI you can enable WiFi mode on the ePMP AP today per my commands earlier.

Sakid

Eric,

If you are referring to ePMP certification classes then absolutely yes. Please go to the link below. Btw, we are also always looking for ePMP certified trainers who can conduct classes.

http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/training

Sakid

@wvvamike - sounds like monitoring is actually hitting tcp 80 instead of ICMP ping - I’ve seen some (and use one - Overlook on android) that by default hit HTTP.

j

We are ready to start the third session. You can submit your questions here.

@Sakid Ahmed wrote:

The next generation of ePMP subscribers will have support for Gigabit

Sakid

And poe passthrough?

Any plans for beamforming?

As in through a second port? Not exactly but we are looking at a cost effective accessory to allow that.

Can you please explain?  Will there be a main port and an aux port on the new SM's and will the main port be gigabit and the aux port fast ethernet.  Will it allow for poe passthrough?

No, there will be just one gigabit port. The idea is that we may have an accessory that  can be used to split power/data to the gigabit port but then also allow a 3rd port to bring gigabit+power out.

Sakid

I guess I will have to see it to understand it.  :)

I don't know if this is a question or a statement but how do you guys get so much out of an 802.11n chipset.  I have a 20 mile shot on a 20mhz channel that I can push 100mbps across(200mbps in a 40mhz channel).  It just amazes me, especially since the best it could do with ubiquiti was 70mbps, and that was with their Rocket AC lites.  

I can't believe how much better your equipment performs and how reliable it is.  Factor in GPS sync and I can really get the most throughput per mHz.  

It has really helped our business.  Thanks and keep up the great work.

6 Likes

Along with the Kudos - a sincere thank you for your recognition. We are glad to give you a good solution for your business and thank you for your support.

Sakid

1 Like

It's been a great solution, and  I can't wait to see what's in store, especially for subscriber modules.  The 2.4ghz force dish and higher gain 5ghz integrated unit is sure going to help fill out your product line up nicely.

Hi Team

When will ePMP support IPv6 and does it support pass through for UDP traffic today?

Thank you to our guests, and members who submitted questions. Also thank you to the ePMP Development Team for your responses. This has been a great session.

Watch for future ePMP sessions coming up in a few weeks.

Also, we will have a similar "Ask the Experts" session with the LINKPlanner team next month. Details will be available soon.

Roy, 

ePMP supports IPv6 passthrough today. Native support for IPv6 has not been planned, yet. 

Thanks,
Sriram

recently, customer has these kinds of apllication scenarios, they use our epmp as PMP coverage, at the end of STA, they also use wifi AP to cover user fix end and mobile phone, so they just want to know if our epmp STA can involve WiFi Ap function, they just only buy one vendor product to simplify their wireless configuration and deployment.they need epmp STA and WiFi AP working at the same time in one equipment.

1 Like

Hello Paul,

Just to add to Dan's analysis of the multiple APs pointing in the same directions,you will want to have those APs operating in the same DL/UL ratio, to ensure their TX/RX cycles do not overlap.  You will also want the configured UL Target Receive Level for all the APs to be the same, to keep SM TX power at appropriate levels and reduce UL interference.

You should also explore the recommendations in the ePMP ABAB frequency reuse deployment document available in the ePMP support site (https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/epmp/) as well as our LinkPlanner software (https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/linkplanner/) as together they may help you design for smaller sectors distributed across that area with frequency re-use.

Regards,

Luis

Hi.  I'd just like to say 'thank you' for this excellent 'Ask the Experts' session.  I think this was an awesome idea and well executed.  Having a large number of questions, and having quick answers - all compressed into a short time period was just great.  There was very valuable information shared, so thank you and I look forward to the next one soon.

2 Likes