Can't ping ePMP CPE IP Address

Hello. Ever since we've deployed ePMP, we're unable to ping customer CPE on the Wireless IP. If we use a separate management IP and a Wireless IP, we can then ping the management IP but still not the wireless IP.

In our deployment, we usually only use the Wireless IP unless the customer needs a Public IP which we then use Wireless for that and put a private IP on the Separate IP address.

Is this normal behavior for ePMP not to reply on the "Wireless IP"? If so, what can we do to get this corrected? We use after hours tech support and whenever a customer calls in and says they're down, the support thinks they're down too because they receive no ping reponse from the customer radio, even though it's online. 

We can ping the ePMP AP's just fine but not the "Wireless IP" on the CPE.

Any help would be appreciated so we can get this corrected. Thank you

Hi Darin,

Can you please tell a little bit more about your SM configuration? What mode do you use? What VLAN settings do you have? Do you use PPPoE?

Thanks,

Dmitry

We run the SM in Router mode with Static IP set on the Wireless IP. We do not use any VLAN's or PPPoE on the SM at all.

On the tower side, we have a Mikrotik router with VLAN 20 running to a Netonix which untags that on all the ePMP ports. I cannot ping the SM's Wireless IP at all from the tower router or from other parts of our network.

Bump.

Can I expect help on this?

Hi Darin,

We will check and revert back to you.

Thank you.

If you set a dnz on your lan interface, and that device responds to pings, you’ll get a response, otherwise it seems to discard pings.

1 Like

Chris,

We do set a DMZ IP of 192.168.20.20 on all of our SM's in router mode with a DHCP start and end range of the 20.20 IP. We do this to avoid double NAT with the router behind it.

I will try disabling DMZ on an SM and then ping the Wireless IP to see if the ping is replied to. If this works, I'd love to see Cambium fix this if possible as our Ubiquiti gear always respond to pings even with DMZ set to a local IP.

As Chris suggested, I disabled DMZ on a couple of our SM's and they all started replying to pings to the Wireless IP for that SM right away. With DMZ enabled, they do NOT respond to pings. 

I've been struggling with this for 2 years with ePMP and it's such a simple fix. We need to use DMZ to avoid double NAT so I'm hoping Cambium can commit to a fix for this and have the Wireless IP reply to pings even with DMZ enabled.

Please comment if this can be a fix in the next firmware release for us. It would help tremendously in being able to monitor our CPE's with our monitoring software that pings the radios.

Thank you

Out of stupidity, why dont you just have a pool of public addresses and let the sm get a public address by dhcp? In router mode with nat turned on, single nat.

Admittedly we are using pppoe over vlans so the nat issue is a problem for us. As the ePMP gets more radius values and the accou nting we will be able to drop pppoe and the nat issue altogether.
Yes Cambium that was a dig for more radius functions. IPoE requires accounting and interim accounting updates.

We're not in a position to hand out public IP's to every customer at the moment. That's off-topic really for what I'm trying to get fixed here.

I'm just asking for the SM to respond to pings on the Wireless IP while DMZ is enabled. Ubiquit has done it fine for the last 6 years for us. I'm hoping Cambium can do the same.

The ePMP hardware runs a stripped down ver5siin of linux. Depending on how the firewall is configured then with dmz active the port 0 requests could be filtered at the wireless interface or passed to the dmz interdace and due to firewall setup, be filtered.

Do you enable l2 or l3 firewall on the sm? Try toggling them in turn and test after each setting change.

No we don't use Layer 2 or 3 firewall. Both are turned off.

Cambium,

Can you test this in lab and verify our findings so we can get a fix released in the next firmware release? 

Thank you

Darin, 

Yes, we'll investigate this. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Can I get an update on this please? We would really love a fix in the next stable firmware. 

Thanks

Yes Cambium, stop everything you are doing and work on Darin's problem. It is easier for you to make a change in the software than it is for him to change the way he does things, (like maybe pinging the management IP instead of the wireless IP). I don't understand, you have been struggling with this for 2 years and it never occurred to you that maybe you should change your programming?

You're not very helpful. Why would we change the way we do things when this is a quick fix on Cambium's side? We don't use Management AND Wireless IP when we don't have to. Our Ubiquiti hardware works fine to ping the Wireless IP with our DMZ setup so it's only fair to expect Cambium to operate the same way with more expensive and reliable gear, correct?

Also, I waited two weeks to followup on this post. It's not like I only waited a day or two. If you're not going to be helpful, there's no reason to post Cheree King.

Have you tried enabling NAT uPNP and NAT PMP on the radio, and then using a uPNP compatible router on the customer side? We've found this helps a lot with NAT and gaming issues and allows us to turn off the DMZ on the radio.

@dcshobby wrote:

We're not in a position to hand out public IP's to every customer at the moment. That's off-topic really for what I'm trying to get fixed here.

I'm just asking for the SM to respond to pings on the Wireless IP while DMZ is enabled. Ubiquit has done it fine for the last 6 years for us. I'm hoping Cambium can do the same.

Hi Darin,

We have implemented new feature which allows to enable respond to ping from DMZ.

You can enable or disable this featrure from UI.

I'm sending Alpha FW to you to try it and come back to us with feedback.

Thank you for your input!