Co-location ePMP and PTP/PMP

Can the ePMP1000 GPS Sync Radio co-locate with PTP and PMP and using the same CMM?

Hi 

We can use a CMM to connect a ePMP & PMP radios. However not for PTP radios. For PTP radios we have a PTP-Sync unit for Synchoraniation.

Regards,

Vijay Gnanamurtthi.

Correct,

However it it is possible to synchronise PTP links and PMP deployments as long as PTP links are based on ePMP equipment.

BR

Hi, 

Alright and what about PMP/PTP 100 or 450 series can they use the same CMM along with ePMP1000?

@Abeelash wrote:

Hi, 

Alright and what about PMP/PTP 100 or 450 series can they use the same CMM along with ePMP1000?

Yes they can. You can sychronize ePMP1000 and PMP/PTP 100 and you can synchronize PMP/PTP 100 and PMP 450. But you cannot synchronize ePMP1000 and PMP 450. 

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

This post is over 2 years old and I am wondering if you can use a CMM to make ePMP and PMP GPS sync compatiable?

Thanks

@tomkolb3 wrote:

This post is over 2 years old and I am wondering if you can use a CMM to make ePMP and PMP GPS sync compatiable?

Thanks

No, it's not a problem of sync hardware... it's a problem of framing. The frames aren't quite compatible. I recently asked the ePMP team regarding this and have been told the team is commited to getting sync working between PMP450 and ePMP this year.

2 Likes

The full story is that Cambium didn't want to cannibalize sales from PMP450 to EPMP, so they set the frame offset differently on the EPMP, just so you couldn't easily co-locate them. Glad they are finally re-thinking this...

@twinkletoes wrote:

The full story is that Cambium didn't want to cannibalize sales from PMP450 to EPMP, so they set the frame offset differently on the EPMP, just so you couldn't easily co-locate them. Glad they are finally re-thinking this...

Not at all. In our experience, the 450 and ePMP line have been hugely complimentary to each other, worldwide. ePMP has infact helped upgrade customers networks from other vendor's products at a lower cost point, which then eventually opens the door for the customer to deploy 450/450i/450m in high density areas or simply continue on with next generation ePMP. Sync between the two is a technical issue and we just have to get the work done. I wish it was just a matter of frame sync. But we also have to worry about things like Adjacent channel interference and the impact of one platform on the other. Its not difficult but not as trivial as just syncing the frames. As Eric said, we are commited to getting it done this year. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks,
Sriram

6 Likes

I'm a little confused on this.  If ePMP can be co-located with FSK and FSK can be co-located with 450, why can't ePMP then co-locate with 450?  Using the ePMP - PMP100 co-location tool and the PMP450-100 co-location tool, it shows that DL end for all 3 end before the UL start of any.  ePMP is at 75/25 and co-location enabled, PMP100 at 78% DL and 3 contention, and 450 at 80 DL and 4 contention slots.  All are at 8 mile range.  I guess there must be more to it than that?

Todd

Hi Todd, 

Everything you mentioned is for frame sync but there's more. As I mentioned in my earlier post, take ACI (Adjacent Channel Interference) for example. Between ePMP and FSK, there are certain levels that will be acceptable. FSK uses 1X and 2X and reslient to another OFDM radio. ePMP and 450 are both OFDM products and the characteristics are disimilar to colocating an OFDM (ePMP) and FSK (PMP 100). A couple of more items like this that we have to take care of and then we can call it done. 

Sriram

4 Likes

glad to see this coming.  I'm looking forward to hanging some 450Ms next to our overworked epmp2000s (and hopefully 3000s) soon.      

we've run into one major problem with the EPMP lately... it works so well we're selling too many connections by word of mouth from it lol.    all but out of spectrum on 2 towers. 

keep up the great work fellas!

3 Likes

Hi Guys, 

PMP 450 / ePMP colocation/sync is available in the latest beta release 3.5.2-RC15. Please give it a try and provide your feedback in the beta release thread. 

Sriram

2 Likes

So I used the ePMP-PMP Co-Location tool today and found that my timing was off so I made adjustments to make them start and end at the same time, but I am wondering if I need to enable the Co-location Mode on the ePMP's? I believe I read that you needed to for the 450/100 Co-location

Thanks for any help

Jason

Yes, you need to enable co-location mode on the ePMPs.  This feature isn't very well documented, so we had to get some answers from Cambium engineering.  In almost almost all instances sync source should be set to GPS for both ePMP and co-located system.  Only exception is if your 450 or FSK network is on old firmware.  Don't recall exact versions but something like between 12.1 and 13.2.  Timing was slightly different with those versions.

The issue with sync between ePMP & 450/100 had to do with the frame start time in relation to the GPS sync pulse.  Co-location mode adjusts the start time of the ePMP frame to match that of 450.  So another piece that is not documented is that you are either sync'd with 450 or FSK and not both.  If your firmware is 3.5.2 or above it sync's with 450.  If 3.5.1 or below sync is with FSK.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you for the info, so at the moment my ePMP's are on CMM3. You are saying that I should switch them to be on GPS/turn on Co-location to get them to sync with the 450's? If im understanding that correctly?

Although I didn't question this specifically, my understanding is it doesn't matter what you set on the ePMP setting.

1 Like