Comparing 2.4 sector antennas

Hello - I have a 2.4ghz EPMP AP in the air. Didn't give it much thought, I already had a Ubiquiti 2.4ghz sector antenna on hand, so I put the AP on it.

Well, I have a couple of SMs that are marginal as far as signal goes (there are trees involved). 

I have a Cambium EPMP 2.4ghz sector on hand. Would I see improvements if I switch them out?

I don't have the model numbers on me right now, but can provide them if needed.

The Cambium sectors are going to be similar gain (I think both are 15-16dbi), so I wouldn't expect any major differences as far as signal level goes... although the Cambium sector will be dual slant, instead of horizontal/vertical polarity, so that could potentially work differently through trees.

Where the Cambium sectors really have an advantage over the ubnt sectors is in front to back ratio, which is very poor on the ubnt sectors (other than the Titanium sectors, which have decent specs, but I haven't tried them... I would say the specs on the standard sectors are very optimistic) - that would certainly cause issues if you need to do any frequency re-use.

If you have a Cambium sector on hand, I'd probably try switching it just to see what happens.

1 Like

Funny you should ask!  I have 4ea. Cambium 2.4 Mars, I believe is makes them, up on one tower and 4ea. KP Performance Secotrs up on another one.  KP KICKS ASS HANDS DOWN!  In fact I just sent screen shoots to Shane at KP today.  I do use the Cambium 5.8 new Secotors with the Smart BF antenna on my EPMP2000 AP's.  Those Secotrs rock.  But I can tell you on the 2.4 side the KP is by far the better sector on my network.

I pulled one of the 4ea. Cambium Sectors down TODAY around NOON.  And had a new 2.4 AP radio configed and mounted on a new KP Sector and swapped them for Min. down time.  I got anywhere from 2-5 DBI better on the KP Mostly on the Customer Side which is “UHUGE” (As Donald says).  If you look at the specs on the KP to the Cambium the 2 specs I like to compare are these:

VSWR < 1.3:1

Port to port isolation 31 dB

I’m not 100% sure but I think the Cambium is like 1.7/8:1 on VSWR (LOWER BETTER) and the Port to Port Isolation again, I think, is around 20 dB (HIGHER THE BETTER)

Other issues I don’t like with the Cambium but those are the deal breakers for me.  I’m not big on their 11 degree beam… way big for me.  I like the 7+ KP has with the EDT.  Hits the SM’s harder with signal.  I think if you do soom looking around you will get excellent feedback on the KP Antennas.  This is the company that Mimosa and Baicells partnered with on their Antennas… that tells me something.

The Antennas are going to be the next "Big Thing" that we all use to improve our networks.  The Cell Carriers have been on this path for a couple of years now and there is some GOOD reasearch out there going on now for Antennas.  GOOD things ahead!

@iamrbf wrote:

Funny you should ask!  I have 4ea. Cambium 2.4 Mars, I believe is makes them, up on one tower and 4ea. KP Performance Secotrs up on another one.  KP KICKS ASS HANDS DOWN!  In fact I just sent screen shoots to Shane at KP today.  I do use the Cambium 5.8 new Secotors with the Smart BF antenna on my EPMP2000 AP's.  Those Secotrs rock.  But I can tell you on the 2.4 side the KP is by far the better sector on my network.

I pulled one of the 4ea. Cambium Sectors down TODAY around NOON.  And had a new 2.4 AP radio configed and mounted on a new KP Sector and swapped them for Min. down time.  I got anywhere from 2-5 DBI better on the KP Mostly on the Customer Side which is “UHUGE” (As Donald says).  If you look at the specs on the KP to the Cambium the 2 specs I like to compare are these:

VSWR < 1.3:1

Port to port isolation 31 dB

I’m not 100% sure but I think the Cambium is like 1.7/8:1 on VSWR (LOWER BETTER) and the Port to Port Isolation again, I think, is around 20 dB (HIGHER THE BETTER)

Other issues I don’t like with the Cambium but those are the deal breakers for me.  I’m not big on their 11 degree beam… way big for me.  I like the 7+ KP has with the EDT.  Hits the SM’s harder with signal.  I think if you do soom looking around you will get excellent feedback on the KP Antennas.  This is the company that Mimosa and Baicells partnered with on their antennas that tells me something.

The Antennas are going to be the next "Big Thing" that we all use to improve our networks.  The Cell Carriers have been on this path for a couple of years now and there is some GOOD reasearch out there going on now for Antennas.  GOOD things ahead!

you've got a number of things wrong with this comment, VSWR is a measurement of return loss, yes the lower the better, but KPs are 1:5, with the exception of 1 model that is at 1:3. they have several that are 2:1 cambium sectors are 1.7    the difference less than 1 db on the rssi level.            the 1:3 sector which i assume your siting given its the closest to your claims of 3 to 5 db higher is actually 17db gain, so yes it should show as 3db higher front gain, it however is only 27 DB front to back. you need 28, but more is better in a reuse situation.     cambiums sector is 32 db. 

the 11 db vertical beam is very useful if you have clients near the tower.  tilting the sector to 6 degrees, while being 300" above the targets yields good range while keeping the beam undercontrol and away from horizon and still giving great penetration to near by subs. the KPs do not perform the best with very tight subs, i've fought that issue a few times with ours.   at a mile or 2 out, the KPs are like performance, and some of them slightly better.   in tight, and a very sharp angle with path obstructions, the cambium sector will do much better. 

next port isolation on the cambium is 25, as is the KPs. 31, but heres the hitch,  the epmp radios don't need to pol separation to be high for pull speed, if you put 2 vertical antennas on a connectorized you'll still get dual stream performance without a hitch (we have omnis on the roofs of our trucks to make trouble shooting a breeze and for us to use when we don't have cell service). you run the risk of loosing your phase and then loosing a lot of signal because your not listening on both pols. since they are both cross pol antennas, strong discrimination isn't important as they will hear noise and signal in all phases. in cellular world, yes very good discrimination is very important.  

the KPs are better antennas, but when a forum member is asking which antenna to use, its important to correctly site facts so they can make informed decisions. 

https://www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Video/epmp1000SectorAntenna-July2014.pdf

https://www.kpperformance.ca/sector-antennas/without-ubnt-case

my sector of choice are the KP dual freq panels, 

https://www.kpperformance.ca/product_documents/get/document/id/221/

when it comes to the best performance, these KPs are not it, but they perform very similar to the cambium sectors, and allow 2 APs in one sector saving a good amount on tower rent.   i just ordered 8 of these sectors and it was just over $5,000 with shipping. 

3 Likes

Since I've never actually used either antenna, I can't comment on which is better, but I think it should be mentioned that if you're comparing a 15dbi antenna to a 17dbi antenna, you do have to reduce your transmit power appropriately to keep your EIRP at 36dbm (which an ePMP AP will force you to do, as long as the antenna gain is entered correctly) - which means that you really shouldn't see any actual difference in signal level at the SMs, since an ePMP AP is perfectly capable of putting out 36dbm EIRP regardless or whether you're using a 15dbi or 17dbi sector. You will see signal gains on the AP side by using a higher gain sector, but the SM's side should stay pretty much the same.

2 Likes

Points you have mention accepted... NP.  My experience on the 11 Degree point is that 4 Degree DT on the KP got me the same results as the 11 on Cambium.  My location is HEAVY trees.  We are located on the edge of a National Forest.

I have better Real world results on my tower when I switched sectors.  Better signals, better, SNR, NO drops and re-connects.  The DROPS were about to casue me customer Churn.   Just like I will not use KP Secctors on my EPMP2000 5.8 Radios because the Cambium Secotors, in my application, perform outstanding.  I am a simple WISP owner, I use what shows the best Real world Connected customer results and with the EPMP1000 2.4 I have proven KP out perform the Cambium on my network.  Also if I did not mention, I have always depended on what My Own testing has proven.  I use everyones feedback as guidelines and then do the testing myself to prove what is best on my network.  I would "Assume" that everyones location is different.  Different Noise levels, co-location with other Noise, ECT.  That is the ONLY way I have found the best results for my network.  Thanks to all!