Force 200 Surge Suppressor

I have downloaded the The Surge Suppressor and power supply recomendation chart from this support site.

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/bstrc49894/attachments/bstrc49894/kb_pmp_faq/280/1/PS%20%20SS%20Guide%20RevC.pdf

It shows the 600SSH supprressor to be used with the Force 200.  The trouble I see is that the 1000 BASE T ethernet connection will only run at 100 BASE T through this suppressor. The L033A suppressor from Cambium will run 1000 BASE T through it.  Why can't I use the L033A with the Force 200?

Steve Schuh

1 Like

We use the Mimosa protectors  https://reseller.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=NID&eq=&Tp=&o1=0 They are Gigabit and they are like $10.00 .  

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post. Sorry I didn’t respond sooner.

The surge suppressor brubble1 suggested does not provide adequate protection for Force 200 radios. High quality surge suppressors, with the right voltage for your installations, will minimize both network downtime due to lightning damage and network maintenance costs associated with replacing lightning damaged hardware. Investing in the right surge protection pays off in the long run.

C000000L065A is the 30V gigabit surge suppressor you want for Force 200 and it will be available in May. I'm sorry that we don't have it available for you to order today.

C000000L033A is a 56V surge suppressor and it clamps at a higher voltage than C000000L065A, so the Force 200 could still be damaged by lightning-induced current, but it would provide some protection.

C000000L065A will provide the best possible protection for your Force 200 installations. However, if you need a solution before C000000L065A becomes available to order in May, Tycon Systems has an indoor surge suppressor and outdoor housing that has been reported to work with Force 200 installations. I’ve provided links below.

http://tyconsystems.com/index.php/products/power-over-ethernet/poe-splitters-2/537-tp-esp-1000-poe24

http://tyconsystems.com/documentation/Spec%20Sheets/ENC-ESP-100-POE%20Surge%20Enclosure%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

5 Likes

>The surge suppressor brubble1 suggested does not provide adequate protection for Force 200 radios. 

We don't install them to protect the radios we install them as a ground point before the cable enters the house. We installed thousands of motorola canopy radios back in the day with the 600ss and it was always installed to protect the home, not the radio. I never even thought about installing one on the customer radio end to protect the radio.

Really, isn't the SS supposed to be installed at the point were the cat5 enters the home ? Wouldn't it need to be next to the radio if its purpose was to protect the radio ? Or is this supposed to protect the radio from surges coming from inside the house ? Does the cambium PS not have any protection against that ?

And if he talking about AP's on a tower... does anyone actually use 600SS on tower installs ? Do you install one at the top near the radio to protect the AP and one at the bottom to protect the gear in the enclosure ?

1 Like

I share your thoughts exactly brubble 1. We install the surge suppressor where the cable enters the structure.  This is required in the US by the NEC.  The radio should have some surge suppressor built in as I was told the Cambium 820 radios have.  On a tower installation I bond the shield to the tower near the radio and then where it leaves the tower using grounding kits.  The surge suppressor is supposed to protect everything inside the structure like your network equipment and people from high voltages coming down the cable. I am puzzled why the 600SS causes the ethernet connection to run at 100 Base T insted of 1000 Base T. It passes all four pairs. The L033A suppressor I have doesn't cause the Force 200 to switch to 100 Base T.  I guess I don't care if the supressor clamps at a little over 30 volts or a little over 56 volts as I am trying to protect what is inside the structure.

1 Like

Hi Brubble1,

Thank you so much for always grounding your installations. Despite the fact that it is required by law (in many countries including the US), some installers still fail to properly ground their cable, and lightning-induced current can cause catastrophic damage if it is not properly shunted to ground. However, as you said, grounding only at the entrance to the premises does not provide protection to the radio hardware.

We always recommend installing quality surge suppression at both the entrance to the building (to protect the occupants and indoor equipment) and at the top of the installation (to protect the radio).

While we’re happy to sell replacement radios, it is more cost-effective for the network operator to have quality surge suppression installed to protect the radio, than it is for them to buy new radios and roll trucks to replace lightning-damaged equipment.

Best,

Tyler

4 Likes

@Cambium_Tyler

We always recommend installing quality surge suppression at both the entrance to the building (to protect the occupants and indoor equipment) and at the top of the installation (to protect the radio).

Might want to update the ePMP user guides.  I don't see anywhere that "recomends" installing a SS at the customer radio.

Surge Suppression unit The ePMP integrated and connectorized units both contain 1 Joule-rated surge suppression built into the device. With this built-in surge suppression, it is not required to install a surge suppressor at the unit’s mounting location. However, it is required to install a surge suppressor at the Ethernet cable’s building ingress into the power supply’s indoor location.

- Cambium 3.5.1 User Guide

brubble1, 

We have not seen any major fall out of customer SM radios without an SS at the radio side. The 1 joule built-in protection seems to cover most deployments. While we want/required you to protect the premises with an SS, we don't require you to install an SS at the SM. The built-in surge supression provides good protection and in the rare case the radio gets damaged despite that, customers are ok replacing the radio. This is since SMs are typically lower cost radios compared to AP. We also have heard from our customers that they are not too keen on incurring extra cost for an SS to protect every SM radio.

In conclusion, we don't 'require' an SS at the SM side. That's different from us not saying 'recommend'. If you would like to protect your SM investment, we have no arguments against you investing in and installing an SS at the SM. 

1 Like