GPS Sync - I'm tired

AFter loosing gps sync on a  2000 it's still not back up.  It's been 30 min after a hard re-start.  debug crashlog from gui says "crashlog not found"

Is anyone else tired of GPS sync problems?  I seem to loose GPS sync on 1000 and 2000 randomly.  It's not a lot, but I feel loosing GPS sync once is a lot.  All have updtaed chip firmware.  This current 2000 is on 3.0.1 software.

It seems like this particualr time the GPS chip has locked up and become unresponsive.  Has anyone else seen this?

What are you using as your primary sync source?  Just the onboard GPS chip? Packetflux?  We have seen similar issues, but have managed to work through them with either it being a Packetflux issue, cable issue, or a quick reboot/fw upgrade.

Yea we just use the radios GPS for sync.  The satellites seem to be  comming back now.  Slowly.

Your using the puck that came with the unit? We had a situation where one radio would go in and out. Turned out to be a hawlk that decided where we had it was it's new home and every day when it went to bed on it we lost it. We relocated the puck to a new location to accomidate the new resident.

So try relocating the puck and see if that stops the in and out service.

1 Like

Hi.  We have had no problems with any GPS APs.  We've iinstalled them, mounted the pucks to the south leg of the tower or mast, and we've never had a hiccup.  I know that's probably not a lot of help...   :)

is your puck orented with the radio waves facing up to the sky or are they laying flat?  its makes a big diffrence.  

we leave them attached to the flat bracket accross the back of the sectors and never have a problem.   laying them horizontal will result in 10 to 15 db less SNR on a lot of sats. 

Hello,

No issues noted down this way...we lways make sure  the top of our sector antenna has clear LOS ,and the GPS antenna is  securedand level. We follow the documented Cambium Networks installation method.  ( both ePMP 1000 & ePMP 2000 )

We also have a  holdver time  set  ( greater than the default 30 seconds ) to allow the SM's  to remain registered  (yes I expect a performance hit during this free run period  ) for a set time should we experience a loss of GPS. This may allow us time to resolve the issue if required.

1 Like

Ok thanks.  I 'll try orienting them vertically.  They are all inside the gps spot but they all have good snr.  All of a sudden I loose sync, look at the snr, and it's either all gone or dropped to less than 3 tracked with really bad snr. 

Hello Matt,

Do you have any cellular towers nearby your ePMP equipment? Some ePMP users have complaint in the past about potential interference from cell towers.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-2000-and-1000/Random-Loss-of-GPS-Sync/m-p/51193/highlight/true#M5413

Increasing your holdoff timer may alleviate the situation.

Also, out of curiosity, are you using the old ePMP1000 GPS antenna with the ePMP2000 or are you using the GPS antenna included with the ePMP2000 radio? The new antennas have better filtering/gain than the old one, plus they will allow the GPS chip to also use GLONASS satellites for tracking.

Regards

We are also having gps issues with the 2000 series ap's

Replaced 1000 units with 2000, exact same location.

AP's completely lose signal to all sats.  All firmware up to date.  1000 units never had any issues.

Oct 13 14:55:24 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559014.650000] GPS Sync Lost. (14:55:24:699054)
Oct 13 14:55:24 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559014.660000] GPS Sync Lost. (14:55:24:703546)
Oct 13 14:55:24 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559014.720000] GPS Sync Lost. (14:55:24:766829)
Oct 13 14:55:28 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 13 14:55:28 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 13 14:55:29 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559019.240000] GPS Sync Lost. (14:55:29:283473)
Oct 13 15:06:46 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 13 15:06:47 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 13 15:06:47 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559697.520000] GPS Sync Lost. (15:06:47:564465)
Oct 13 15:06:47 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559697.520000] GPS Sync Lost. (15:06:47:568927)
Oct 13 15:06:47 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [559697.590000] GPS Sync Lost. (15:06:47:633888)
Oct 13 15:06:50 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 13 15:06:51 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 15 13:00:38 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 15 13:00:39 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 15 13:00:40 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [724930.010000] GPS Sync Lost. (13:00:40:56793)
Oct 15 13:00:43 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 15 13:00:43 ch40 EPMP 1 DEVICE-AGENT[1913]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Oct 15 13:00:44 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [724934.480000] GPS Sync Lost. (13:00:44:529259)
Oct 15 13:00:50 ch40 EPMP 1 kernel: [724939.960000] GPS Sync Restored. (13:00:50:2549)

We are having the same issues... It started with one AP, now multiple towers, never had any issues. Now multiple sites drop Sattelites with great signal. From 13+ to 0, drops all clients, and doesn't come back.

Sometimes the sattelites come back slowly.

Anyone had any luck with solving this riddle?

1 Like

Please contact our support team at support@cambiumnetworks.com. They will be able to help?

What size network are you operating?

are any of the big cell providers doing work in the area?  

the GPS chips can be overwhelmed by some of the LTE gear.

if that is the case, you'll need to use ground GPS.    the CMM or the packet flux solution. 

the ground base GPS circuits are able to deal with the interference the onboard GPS chip can't.

in our area, when we co-locate with verizon we have to use ground based GPS for stable results.  sprint and ATT don't mess with our topside GPS here. 

1 Like

Chris,

Does CMM and packetflux give you the same  timing as the onboard gps?

Packet flux and cmm units can all be intermixed with the gps pucks to maintain snyc. I’d suggest on the same time source all timing from the same point. From tower to tower it doesn’t matter. By specifications they can be mixed on the same site, but I chose to avoid it. Just another peace of a puzzle if something isn’t working smooth.

@Luis wrote:

Hello Matt,

Do you have any cellular towers nearby your ePMP equipment? Some ePMP users have complaint in the past about potential interference from cell towers.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-2000-and-1000/Random-Loss-of-GPS-Sync/m-p/51193/highlight/true#M5413

Also, out of curiosity, are you using the old ePMP1000 GPS antenna with the ePMP2000 or are you using the GPS antenna included with the ePMP2000 radio? The new antennas have better filtering/gain than the old one, plus they will allow the GPS chip to also use GLONASS satellites for tracking.

Regards

@Luis, do you have a partnumber for that new antenna?   google and I aren't getting along so well with this. 

@Chris_Bay wrote:

@Luis wrote:

Hello Matt,

Regards

@Luis, do you have a partnumber for that new antenna?   google and I aren't getting along so well with this. 

Is this information you need?

@Cheree King wrote:

@Chris_Bay wrote:

@Luis wrote:

Hello Matt,

Regards

Is this information you need?

yes sir,  ATT has been upgrading their gear here which has been causing gps problems for our 1000 gear. going to switch a site out to these antennas to see if it helps.   I can't find where to buy these for spares?   plenty of the old round GPS pucks around though. 

We did(and still have) canopy with packetflux for years and I don't remember ever having problems with GPS sync... really I can't remember a single instance were GPS failed in the last 10 years on a packetflux/canopy, 450 or even Airfiber. Since we already had canopy on most of the towers we put ePMP on we just went ahead and used packetflux to power the ePMP but used the pucks for gps. It seems like once very few months an ePMP radio will lose GPS sync, sometimes even though it showed it could see a 20 sats and was tracking 18 of them it wouldn't have GPS sync.  Other times it would lose the sats and of course lose GPS sync.  So on the towers were we already had them powered with SyncInjectors I just changed them over to sync over power. 

I have 3 towers that never had Canopy on them so I don't have packetflux on those towers. All 3 towers have at least 1 ePMP AP or backhaul that I have had to disable sync on because they kept randomly losing it or it just stopped working period.  I am in the process of getting the three towers changed over to packetflux simply so we can get reliable sync on the ePMP stuff.  Luckily 5Ghz don't travel as far as 900Mhz and we aren't doing ABAB on any of the affected towers or losing GPS sync on a radio would be a much bigger problem.

All 3 sites are standpipe water tanks , the radios are on the very top and the pucks have no obstruction in any direction, the entire sky is visible. All the radios see 19'ish sats at -19 to -48 and tracking 18 of them. Two of the 3 ePMP radios that have this problem are radios and have the new style GPS puc, only one is the old style GPS puck.

While the old canopy, new 450i and airfiber give me no GPS problems at all the ePMP AP's have always had random GPS problems.

I ordered a sync pipe for this site to try it out. Can’t get the radios to stay at gig connection, that being said we are pushing cable length here, 99 meters according to the netonix switch. I had horrible luck with the packetflux gear getting hit and taking out mysites. In the last 6 years we’ve had 6 major strikes, all of which was a packetflux injected or timed site (also only makes up about 10% of my network. ) they come off as to much of a hazard to my network for me to swallow. When i called support at packetdlux over tge sync problem remaining st this site, the request was to bypass the LPU, not gonna happen. The gps has been stable for us with the epmp until ATT started changing nodes here. Everything with glonass antennas have been fine.

I also have noticed with both antennas, the orientation of the gps puck matters, a lot. Laying flat here takes 10 to 15 db snr from our signal. Upright so the coax is going towards tge ground from the sectors works the best for us.

Ive already pulled the packetflux gear to return… won’t run gear without full protection anymore. Anyone used a cmm4 and compared them to this problem?