Hardware Feedback

We want your honest feedback on the installation process of Cambium Networks products. What does an installation look like from your eyes? What do you like about the Cambium hardware? What do you wish was different? Do you have any tips or tricks you can share with fellow installers?

Post at least one thing you like about Cambium hardware and note any areas where we can improve things (with video and/or photos) to this thread. The 15 posts with the most kudos by July 15 will receive a Cambium shirt and cap!

3 Likes

We LOVE that all of the installation and adjustments require one wrench/tool!!  It saves so much time and trouble while on a tower.  You did that one right for sure!!

5 Likes

Hi ttelford,

Thank you for the feedback! Do you have a favorite tool that you use on the towers or any installation tips to share with the community?

Thank you again,

Julia

Hello

Please find attached some pictures of ePmP and PtP.

Offshore oil and gas remote SCADA, VOIP applications.

Easy assembly and alignment realized alone.

The first PTP I installed offshore has 10 years now. (still OK for 40km over sea)

All are working in harsh environment.

See you

3 Likes

Hi Jydcom,

Thank you for sharing those great pictures! That looks like a very pretty place for an installation. How did you protect your equipment for so long from such a harsh environment?

Julia

Hi Julia

Thank you.

Basic rules for protections:

Silcone grease (or else) for brackets and nuts.

Scotch 23 to waterproof protection of connectors (if connectorised) and connecting holes pass of cables.

Very good earth protection with Cambium LPUs!!!

The housings of PTP300/500/600 are very resistant, only the labels are gone!!!

1 Like

It is great to hear your protection rules and our equipment are holding up well! Have your weatherproofing rules changed over time? I'm interested to hear how your installation process has changed with experience in the field (or on the tower, in this case).

Julia

Super

Hi Vidyait,

Thank you for sharing your pictures! What is your favorite feature of the Force 200 equipment? Is there anything you wish was different about the equipment?

Kindly,

Julia

What is your favorite feature of the Force 200 equipment? Is there anything you wish was different

I wish I could see the LED's.  The LED's are not nearly bright enough.  Plus, if we're expected to use the LED's to know when it's linked and as an aid in aiming, then the LED's should be visible from the lower-rear - so that when we're holding an antenna above our heads, we can see the LED's.

2 Likes

I agree with too, but I am using the embedded alignment tools. jyd

Hello Julia

I didn't change anything with my basic rules of waterproofing.

In some cases I use spray of graphite grease too

just try to check evrythings OK times by times, if possible at least once a year.

Read you!

1 Like

I wish I could see the LED's.  The LED's are not nearly bright enough.  Plus, if we're expected to use the LED's to know when it's linked and as an aid in aiming, then the LED's should be visible from the lower-rear - so that when we're holding an antenna above our heads, we can see the LED's.

Ninedd,

I appreciate your feedback, especially on features that might not work as well in the field as they do in a controlled environment. How do you work around the LEDs not being bright enough when you are on the tower? Also, are there any other features of the Force 200 or other equipment that are difficult to use when you at the top of the tower holding heavy equipment above your head?

Yes the LEDs are not even usable in bright daylight, much less when on a tower/roof. They wouldn't have to be in a different spot so much as brighter. Maybe a small button that would put them in an install mode and have bright LEDs and maybe even an alignment beep? I do agree that the one size bolt is awesome.

Another feature that I am unsure of how to implement but would be excellent would be a feature that the SMs could be plugged into your network and would auto provision to CNMaestro. I know the APs can, but the SMs require either being manually configured or setting up an ap on defautl settings so that it connects and pulls an IP address that way. The Force200/180 do not pull a DHCP address from their ethernet port and provision that way.

Great work though!

Hi Reighbread,

Thank you for sharing your insights. It is helpful to know that you also have a problem seeing the LEDs during in the bright daylight. How do you currently make sure your equipment is aligned with the dim LEDs? I am guessing other climbers could learn from what you do to make up for the dim LEDs, if you have any special tricks.

Your idea of alignment beeps is great! I wonder if anyone else has ideas of good ways to signify alignment.

For us, we typically have one guy in the bucket of a bucket truck aligning the SM, another guy in the cab of the truck with a laptop (or tablet/phone) calling out dBm numbers until they get it peaked.  (all our trucks are fitted with a router with DHCP server over wifi and laptop ethernet on one 'side', all our SM subnets plus defaults on the other feeding into multiple POE injectors)

j

Newkirik,

That really doesn't sound ideal. In a perfect world, how do you imagine alignment going?

you should introduce the WiFi for the ePMP SMs for installation, it would be much easier to accessing it using a smartphone while doing the alignment.

1 Like

Or create a battery operated POE injector with built in wifi that we can purchase. That way it doesn't drive the per unit price up. I already have something down that line that is cobbled together out of a couple different things but its too bulky most of the time anyway.

@reighbread wrote:

Or create a battery operated POE injector with built in wifi that we can purchase.

This topic has actually come up before, three years ago:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/Rechargable-POE/idi-p/35970#comments

How would your feelings about alignment change with a battery powered POE? Does anyone have any existing products that they can share?