Having issues doing mass ePMP firmware updates

I've tried a couple times now to update large batchs of ePMP AP's from 3.5 to 3.5.1. Every time I try, it says the job is running but not actually updating anything. For instance, I started a job on 30 or so AP's last night, and I checked this morning and the job was still running, but had not advanced. Am I missing something here? Is there a recommended number of radios to update at once?

2 Likes

Hi Eric, 

No changes with respect to cnMaestro between 3.5 and 3.5.1. Something else going on. Are you using cloud or on-premises version? If on-premises, what version is it?

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

I'm using the cloud version. One thing I just thought of is that I selected that it do 50 updates in parallel, and I was only updating 30 or so devices... could this be an issue? I'm going to try again tonight and see what happens.

1 Like

Can you please let us know did you add all SM in a job or both and were they in different sector?

Recently we have done some improvement in the software upgrade and we are going to roll out with the fix for On-Premises soon.

Please confirm if you are using cloud or On-Premises and send an email with your job details how you added all 30 devices via private message.

Regards,

Rupam

1 Like

If you selected 50 and you had only 30 devices, it should still select all of them.

Can you please confirm how many APs/SMs you have in each sector.

Rupam

1 Like

Just to let you know there was a known issue with parallel update if size is selected more than 5, we have fixed the issue recently and next version of cloud update will have the fix.

Rupam

2 Likes

I'll try again tonight using 5 parallel updates and see if it works. Thanks!

1 Like

Eric,

Can you please explain how your 30 ePMP is distributed across sector?

How many APs/SMs are there in each sector and when you create a job you select SM first then AP right?

Rupam

I'm just trying to update AP's from 3.5 to 3.5.1. I'm not trying to update any SM's at this time. All SM's are using 3.5 and I'll update them at a later time.

Here's the step by step in how I'm trying to do this:

• From the Software Update area, I click the 'Multiple Selections' button on the right hand side and then 'Select all APs'
  • I then go through and deselect a few AP's I've already updated to 3.5.1 so they're not disturbed
  • I then check 'start job now' and allow '50 devices' to update in parallel
  • I select 'AP first and then SM's' within a sector update (even though there are no SM's selected for update)
  • I then press the 'Add software job' button

OK, I tried it again, this time only doing 5 parallel radios, still stalls in jobs. I tried selecting 'Upgrade SMs first, then APs' still didn't work. I'm going to start a trouble ticket with Cambium support.

Hi Eric,

We have started rolling out the fix with 1.6.0-r23 build and all the servers will be updated tonight.

We have already updated couple of servers last night (not sure if your account is on one of them)

If you see 1.6.0-r23 in the cnMaestro homepage (footer) then try next time & multiple APs should work parallel even with 5 or more.

Regards,

Rupam

1 Like

So this is still not working correctly and I've discovered has something to do with how I'm selecting radios. From the Software Update area, I click the 'Multiple Selections' button on the right hand side and then 'Select all APs', when I do this, the updates will stall and stay forever in jobs every time... even if I go through and deselect all but one radio.

When I manually go through and check each radio, the updates work fine. Could you guys please specifically test using the 'Multiple Selections' button to select multiple AP's and try an update?

1 Like

Hi Eric,

Can you please send me complete details via private message on how you select and no of APs/SMs per sector and screenshot from your account where you say job gets stuck.

We would like to try locally on our setup, your initial discover will help us get to root cause.

Rupam